Dr Greenbaum no longer doing open DS revisions

baylady35310
on 9/15/10 7:09 am - Millsboro, DE
I had heard rumors but had it confirmed today, no more open revisions to DS for now.  So that leaves me in the cold, I am half way through my 3 month supervised diet and exercise program which was to be done at the end of October and then I was to appeal and get my revision from RNY to DS and now the only thing he is offering is Distal RNY.  So....................................fill me in, I went back and googled and did not find much.  What are the pros and cons.  I know originally I did not want to have it done when Dr. G offered it to me because I wanted to get rid of the pouch which still causes me to throw up at times and I do have dumping from time to time but honestly nothing I can't live with.  Will I still lose as much weight?  Do I take the same amount of vitamins as a DS revision?  Can I eat protein and fat like a normal DS person or will I gain weight? I have never heard anyone say what you should limit your carb intake to a day to continue to lose, your thoughts on this please.  Need your help..........................Aetna will pay 80% if I stay with Dr. G, I do not have the money to go to CA, MX or Brazil and pay out of pocket.  So do I just live fat until Dr. G. decides to do them again or is the Distal a good choice....................help......................

Thanks everyone, just a little depressed was seeing the light at the end of the tunnel with this supervised program and then this happened.

Linda
(deactivated member)
on 9/15/10 7:25 am - Bellevue, WA
 Ask for Kerry to chime in...
He is a revision.  There are several revisions and I know it is different than a virgin DS.  Good for you, doing your homework. It's a serious operation and there are only a few qualified DS surgeons to do a revision.  Don't give up!
MollyBH
on 9/15/10 7:27 am - Appomattox, VA
Wow, Linda.  I am so sorry to hear that.  I can't comment on the distal RNY because I don't know anything about it.  I  hope something else will come your way.

Molly

HW 255  SW 247  CW 155  GW 150

(deactivated member)
on 9/15/10 7:33 am
Why can't you appeal for Aetna to pay for a different surgeon?  What I mean is, why do you have to go to Dr. G?
amccu18007
on 9/15/10 7:43 am, edited 9/15/10 7:44 am - Newark, DE
I am so sorry :(.

I would NOT get a distal. People sometimes call it the worst of both world's. I think that your best bet would be to save up some funds and go to see Dr. K or Rabin in Ca. I know that money is tight right now but getting a distal is NOT the solution. You have limited room to eat food and a lot of malabsorbtion so really, the worst of both world's. I think( please tell me if I am wrong vets) that distals have more of a chance of deficincies because of the configuration.

Why is Dr. G no longer doing revisions?
  Amanda
SW 269    CW 135.6  GW 140    

Michelle H.
on 9/15/10 8:07 am - Canada
This is a very sad thing to hear. There are so few surgeons, Good Surgeons, who are doing that revision so to lose one of the best is a real blow.

You could PM Joyce from AZ I don't know her screen name but she was just revised from this surgery to a straight DS as was another lady. I do think VitaLady has this so you might want to ask her.

I wish you well on your journey. I am sorry that you are in this place having to make this decision.
Michelle
My is Debbie M.......I am to lo24 (Louisa)
RNY 338- 185.  Regain to SW260 CW 236 GW 150ish?

dana712
on 9/15/10 8:24 am
There is Dr. Inabnet in NYC who does revisions from RNY to DS. He is in Mt. Sinai Hospital.
levittown_loser
on 9/15/10 8:42 am - Levittown, PA
So sorry to hear that Linda.   Were you given a reason why Dr. Greenbaum is no longer doing revisions? 

HW 341/SW 309/CW 169/GW 190   172 lb. loss with my DS -  Subscribe to me on YouTube!
Plastics with Dr. Sauceda 1-11-11 Lower Body Lift, Thigh Lift, Upper Body Lift, Arm Lift and Male Breast Reduction

If you are a MALE and are interested in MALE PLASTICS AFTER WLS click to join our OH Group!

neacres100
on 9/15/10 8:44 am - NJ
Hi Linda,  this may sound like a stupid question, but when you say he is no longer doing open revisions to DS, does that mean he no longer does open surgery and is  only doing revisions to DS by lap?  If he will be doing reivions by lap to DS, that I think would be a good thing as far as healing time. 

I hope that is the case. 

Best wishes to you.

Donna

Erroded lapband removed 12/28/09, stomach repaired, infected port cut out.

WLS done on Dec 14th, 2010.WOOHOO!!
I survived & I'm alive!  Dr. Gagner is my life saver!
levittown_loser
on 9/15/10 8:47 am - Levittown, PA
I doubt that's the case because Dr. G doesn't do the DS lap to begin with much less a revision.

HW 341/SW 309/CW 169/GW 190   172 lb. loss with my DS -  Subscribe to me on YouTube!
Plastics with Dr. Sauceda 1-11-11 Lower Body Lift, Thigh Lift, Upper Body Lift, Arm Lift and Male Breast Reduction

If you are a MALE and are interested in MALE PLASTICS AFTER WLS click to join our OH Group!

Most Active
15 years post surgery
jopringle · 1 replies · 68 views