had my surgery with Dr. Pomp

Janine P.
on 8/28/10 1:24 am - Long Island, NY
I'm so sorry you're unhappy Megan.  I understand your frustrations.

Janine   Me on Youtube 

Jennifer D.
on 8/28/10 1:32 am
Hi Megan. I am experiencing a similar situation as you. The thing I found the most difficult to cope with was my mindset as far as diet after the surgery. I am trying to do some odd low fat Atkins thing right now to see if it works for weightloss. (I know, low fat and Atkins = oxymoron). I am only 4 weeks out so it's easy right now.
                                      Jennifer
          Thank you Cheri and Holly!
       Think twice, cut once! I've had 3 surgeries now, RNY, VSG and DS .
                                Ask me about the DS or visit dsfacts.com
2002 - RNY
2010 - RNY to VSG
2011 - Full DS-August 24th
                HW 311   SW 306  CW 235  GW 150
Emily F.
on 8/28/10 3:09 am
I'm sorry you are disappointed, I would be too. But who knows. Maybe you will rock that sleeve. It is a good surgery, don't compare it to lapband. Chin up!!
For great WLS info join me here  www.dsfacts.com
(deactivated member)
on 8/28/10 3:28 am
 Megan,

I am so sorry this happened to you. I would be angry, upset and disappointed. I know how long you've been getting yourself geared up for the "DS life", so I'm sure this also means a radical adjustment in thinking vs. what you were prepared for. 

That said, you are an amazing woman and I have every confidence that you will rock your VSG, whether it ends up getting converted to a DS at some stage or not. 

Once you've gotten over the initial sadness and disappointment, move forward and make this thing work. There are some amazing successes with the sleeve alone. I hope you are pleasantly surprised. 

Jenna
meganwf
on 8/28/10 5:03 am
Thanks everyone, for all the support.

I hope to be pleasantly suprised too! Truthfully, if a sleeve would do the job then it would be easier than the DS. I just have never yet seen any weight loss attempt work as well as I could hope, so it is quite difficult to have much hope. But I will certainly give it my best.

I did want to warn people: Dr. Pomp is a wonderful surgeon, and is very determined to leave his patients in as good if not better shape than when he found them.  Overall, I really like that approach to surgery which is probably why I went with him. However, 1) I feel he glossed over the difficulties and did not give me a true picture of his intentions regarding the surgery; and 2) other people in a similar situation may prefer to be with someone less conservative. At any rate, you should grill your doctor about exactly what will cause a vs b to be better informed going in.
Former Elizabeth
on 8/28/10 6:53 am
I second what Amanda said.   My DS was in two parts, and my insurance co. didn't want to pay for the second part, as I was below the BMI limit for the DS.

I appealed and they re-denied, and I contacted the Lindstroms at Obesity Law.   Walter wrote a KILLER letter for the second appeal.   The insurance co set up a phone "hearing" with them and me, but gave up and approved the surgery before the hearing occurred.   It was a bit frustrating, because they contacted me to tell me it was approved less than 24 hours before the phone call was scheduled, and when I got the letter, it had been approved for several days before they contacted me.

Kelley and Walter Lindstrom.   I can give you their phone number and other contact info if you'd like.   In the meantime, work the hell out of your VSG.   I didn't lose much either, but I know that I gave it a good solid try.

Dennie

"It's so beautifully arranged on the plate - you know someone's fingers have been all over it. ~Julia Child"

Rena H.
on 8/28/10 7:16 am - Spokane, WA
O my gawd, Megan, i am soooooo sorry. I would be devastated if i woke up with just the VSG. I hope that Dr. Pomp gives you that second part without making you pay or effing with your insurance. I am so sorry. I know what it feels like to expect one thing and get nothing... hang in there... hit the ground running and don't take no for an answer. If you get a no go somewhere else. don't stop until you get what you want.
HW - 395 / SW - 358 / GW - 150

(deactivated member)
on 8/28/10 7:47 am - Bayonne, NJ
I am really, really sorry. I went into my revision from an RNY to a DS knowing it was a possiblity, but I did have the full DS. I think he was being awfully conservative with you, considering you're a lightweight. Hugs, I know you must be very disappointed, and yeah, it will be an insurance battle since the love to deny things. :(
Elizabeth N.
on 8/29/10 7:20 am - Burlington County, NJ
I'm so sorry Megan. ***hugs**** This is a dreadful trend on the part of some surgeons and needs to be fought. "Too long" under anesthesia? Come on. I was a very high anesthesia risk and I did just fine staying under for nearly eight hours from start to finish. I don't believe that claptrap in MOST cases.
ladynitewolf
on 8/29/10 7:29 am - BFE, CA
Megan, I am truly sorry that this has happened to you. Please agressively seek out insurance help to get the second part done. Hold Pomp's feet to the fire to give you what you want as well.

We're here for you!

~ Sarah P. 
Ask me about pregnancy after the Duodenal Switch!

They're here! My surro-sons were born July 21, 2009. Welcome to the world, Benjamin and Daniel. We love you very much!

Most Active
15 years post surgery
jopringle · 1 replies · 70 views