Can I have 30 seconds of your day, trying to rally everyone to sign this!

Nicolle
on 4/28/10 9:54 pm
My son has eaten hot lunch exactly 3 times since September--one cheeseburger day and two nacho days. Nacho day is like a celebration around there, for whatever reason.

I'm grateful we have a choice. I really feel for the kids and families for whom, financially, their only choice is hot lunch or NO lunch. Our school also offers free breakfast in the morning to low-income families. I've looked, and that food is pretty lousy nutritionally, too.

So, I happily signed it! Thanks, Lori.

Nicolle

I had the kick-butt duodenal switch (DS)!

HW: 344 lbs      CW: 150 lbs

Type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea GONE!

(deactivated member)
on 4/28/10 11:20 pm - PA
Laurie D.
on 4/28/10 11:40 pm - minden, NE
Done!  I am so frustrated with the school lunch program....have yet to figure out how mac & cheese WITH a PB sandwich is healthy!  Add to that the  cookie and fruit and they think its a balanced meal?  My kids haven't eaten at school for years, they come home for lunch!  
SW 308/CW164/ GW 140

Melissa B.
on 4/29/10 12:20 am - Greenfield, OH
Amen Lori! I had already signed it a long time ago. I watched the show too and it made me sick to death to know that they count french fries as a vegtable..and that the govt sells them the bulk crap frozen food so much cheaper to the point they couldn't resist a "good deal"..wth. I love what the first lady is doing and agree the petition should be taken to her. This is her "thing" she has been working on since being in the white house. I would love to see my child offered salad or fresh veggies or fresh chicken instead of frozen processed chicken nuggets and tator tots.
Melissa B.                    

Debbie M.
on 4/29/10 12:32 am
Signed and forwarded - thanks for doing this Lori, it's a great cause. 

SW 358/CW 201/Goal - anything below 160
Angel to TEAZ (Michelle)

Bronwen
on 4/29/10 12:37 am - Wilmington, DE

As the mother of an extremely picky eater, I'll do it, but it will have absolutely no impact on me personally.  My child WILL. NOT. EAT. school lunch.  EVER.  I have been packing her lunch since she was 6 months old and I had to put her in daycare to go back to work.  She doesn't like school food.

Our schools don't do refrigeration, either.  I used to pack her lunch with ice packs, but the new yogurts in tubes (Gogurt, Stoneybrook Farms Organic, for examples) can be frozen.  I take one out of the freezer in the morning, put it in her lunchbag with a piece of fruit, a juice box, and a cookie/a baggie of chips and she's good to go.

There are days, though, when I really wish she'd eat a grilled cheese sandwich and some tomato soup.

sw:298/cw:152/no goal set
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open."  --J.K. Rowling,  Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Ms Shell
on 4/29/10 12:40 am - Hawthorne, CA
Signed and thanks Lori =)

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

(deactivated member)
on 4/29/10 12:46 am
Ugh! I signed it too. When I was little we actually had a brown bag day where you could fill up a sack full of whatever you wanted and eat it all day. Kids had fruit roll ups and brownies in there it was pretty bad and then we still went to lunch.

I remember loving the food, I don't remember any of it being relatively healthy just really bad. It was a treat if you got extra money for ice cream.
metamorphosis007
on 4/29/10 1:06 am
 I LOVE this. The crap they serve in schools, I wouldn't feed my dogs let alone my kid. There was a huge school lunch recall around these parts a few months back. They were using "downer" cows for the beef in public school lunch's. They serve the kids fries, breaded chicken "nuggets", mystery meat sammies, and other gross-ness. Not a fresh veggie to be found! 

Thank you for posting this. Our kids deserve much much better! 

You gotta love livin', baby, 'cause dyin' is a pain in the ass.---Frank Sinatra
beemerbeeper
on 4/29/10 1:21 am - AL
Done.