What supplements help w/ stinky gas 'n poop?

Lori Black
on 2/14/10 10:31 am - , IN
I've tried MULTIPLE probiotics with little luck, though Primal Defense Ultra's have been the best so far. I've tried Devrom...worked for about three weeks; then it stopped working. Been on multiple rounds of flagyl with only temporary relief. Nullo has done NODDA for my gas/poop smell. The ONE and ONLY thing that works is for me to get REALLY honest about what I'm eating. Flours...they **** with me, even the 100% whole wheat. Sugar sometimes ***** with me if it's combined with other things. Milk, ***** with me. Even cheese can **** with me. When I'm ultra careful about what I eat, then I have less gas and poop smells. But when being too careful starts to make me mad, I'm grateful for striking a match and for neutralizing sprays. I wish I had better news for you, I've looked for the "magic pill" too...and for me it just doesn't exist. Being cautious with my intake is all I can do.

Lori
Christa_42
on 2/14/10 11:01 am - Sulphur, LA
I hear ya Lori, there does not seem to be anything that really works consistantly. I have even been watching everything I put in my mouth for the past 7 days with the exception of that one day that I discovered the candy with the sugar alcohol in it. I have avoided flour, pastas, rice, bread, any sugar, only taking in about 30 -40 carbs a day. I'm not having very much gas but my poop/stool odor is still the worst, much more horrific than ever preop. But if I keep losing I don't care how it smells!!!!! Just glad my DS is still working in spite of how horrible I treated it!!!!

HW-437 SW-417 CW-280
Weight I'd like to be 180-190
I can do all things through Christ who strengthes me!!!!

frankurban
on 2/14/10 10:36 am - CA
What about Body Mint? That's another one I've heard about.

Your experience? Daily? Long term w/out consequences???
Frank
(deactivated member)
on 2/14/10 11:12 am - Wilmington, OH
Dont waste your money on Devrom....I have a bottle you can have if you want it email me your address.
Batwingsman
on 2/14/10 10:56 am - Garland, TX

If you find anything that TRULY works, please let me know ..  I think I've tried all of them (to paraphrase Johnny Cash) ...

I'm currently finishing up a whole bottle of Nullo, after finding out that one sugeon (Dr. Husted?) recommends it to his patients ..  So far all it has done is turn my stools a funky shade of "grass green" ..  I've tried Devrom many times (both the chewables and the capsules) and can't really tell much difference when used ..  I also tried a big bottle of Primal Defense recently, and do not note a difference with that product (same for Culturelle).   I think the problem is that none of those products are designed specifically for the needs of DSers, but people with relatively "normal" digestive systems that just have occasional or relatively mild odor "problems".  We, by contrast, are a hard core case. 

One thing that I now suspect is the primary cause of why our stools and gas can have such a horrible smell are the bile salts that we excrete in large amounts, esp. those of us that had our gallbladders removed.  It's my understanding that, since the gallbladder is designed to store the bile produced by the liver until needed, when it is absent the unneeded bile is just dumped straight down our biliopancreatic limb and any that it is "unused" (i.e. is not used to help digest fats) goes right on out of us.  Somehow this smell is further intensified by any carbohydrates that we have ingested, particularly simple sugars.   

I think it would be interesting to see how post-ops with gallbladders compare in odor problems and/or control with those who do not have their gallbladders.   If there is a notable difference, then maybe the wise choice is to keep the gallbladder after all, until and unless it does present stone problems.  

The one thing that does seem to help when it gets real bad is a round of Flagyl/Fishzole, at least for me.   Not sure how that can be the case, if in fact excess bile salts are the culprit, since the idea with anitbiotics like Flagyl is that they kill off the overgrowth of "bad" gut bacteria strains that would ordinarliy otherwise be kept in check by the "good" strains of gut bacertia, but which are out of balance in our DS systems.  

Frank talk about the DS / "All I ever wanted to be was thin, like that Rolling Stones dude ... "

HW/461 LW/251 GW/189 CW/274 (yep, a DS semi-failure - it happens :-( )

Panda ..
on 2/14/10 12:31 pm
(deactivated member)
on 2/14/10 8:23 pm - Cumberland, IN
 Devrom does absolutely nothing for me.  I haven't found a magic pill either, but I just try to keep my gas at bay by watching what I eat.  Here lately I can go an entire day and eat steak all day long, and still get gas, so I am thinking I have bacterial overgrowth.  I'm calling my Doc this morning to get some Flagyll, and I'm gonna order some fishzole too.
mrsannie
on 2/14/10 8:59 pm
I find when I get the grumbles I take GasX and cut the gas off at the pass -- so to speak -- before it starts.  But when I do need to "fluff" I pull an Aunt Emma and  when no one is looking, open the back door, and stick my butt out.  As long as the wind doesn't blow it back in, it ususally does the trick.  (I miss you, Aunt Emma!)

In the bathroom, I light a match when I first smell it and one before I leave.  I also spray a little Neutra Air, and run for the hills.

I also did not like Nullo, it left a green taste in my mouth and didn't do much for me.  If anyone wants to try it, send me your address, and I will send it to you, but read above about how it could interfere with vitamin absorbtion first.  I had no idea.

Ann

Nothing will change if you don't have the courage to change it!
      And stop calling me "Shirley!"    
Valerie G.
on 2/15/10 1:24 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
I always found that the best approach is the elimination approach.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

frankurban
on 2/15/10 2:50 pm - CA
Ok, thanks everybody... I'm reading through all the posts and taking notes!
Frank
Recent Topics