DS is not an "eat anything you want" surgery

Stacie S.
on 5/31/09 11:59 am - Spring Hill, FL
I don't think you need to try to slow down your weight loss.  Granted, I'm not a medical professional, but here's why:

To be on target for losing all of your excess weight, the percentages are 25% by 2 months and 50% by 6 months. According to your ticker, you want to 260 pounds total.  25% of that would be 65 pounds, so based on that, you're not losing too fast for the DS. 

Check with your surgeon before trying to put on the brakes...you might wish you hadn't.  Good luck!
Courage does not always roar.  Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Anne S.
on 5/31/09 2:27 pm
Oh no! I didn't mean to draw you out personally at ALL! I'm sorry it's come across that way, and I take it back, 100%.

The only part of the message I was/am interested in addressing, no matter who posts it, is the mentality that the DS is an "eat anything you want" surgery.

I'm apologize, again, if I came across as being personal, or attacking you, because that is NOT what my intent is or was.

I'm pretty excited, actually, to see how well you're doing in your weight loss. 90 lbs in 3 months is GREAT!

Learning about the DS? An excellent resource is www.dsfacts.com
For scientific studies about the DS and more, "friend" me, and then click on my profile. Best of luck on your journey.

Vicki In A Clam Shell
on 5/31/09 8:53 am, edited 5/31/09 8:54 am - near Louisville, KY
thank you both for bringing this up

I took the eat anything I want, protein first mentality from the beginning

I have not dieted since I had the DS and I have lost 85 lbs

but now, with 30 lbs left to lose I am going to have to get down to business - today is day 5 of my 30 carbs a day and the cravings are gone so anything I can do from  here on out is smooth sailing.

I refuse to deprive myself though or I will doubtless find myself at 3 in the morning with floodlights shining on me from many different directions realizing that I am hip deep in the coconut almond fudge vat at my nearest Graeter's.  So a taste makes me feel good enough to move on and some replacements for my favorite treats have helped.  Yes, Virginia some DSers must learn self control.
I owed it to myself to research the duodenal switch before consenting to any other weight loss surgery and so do you.  Check out DSFacts.com and DuodenalSwitch.com for more information.  Remember think twice, cut once, revisions are risky and revision surgeons are rare.
 DS Lab Rats 

Elizabeth N.
on 6/1/09 1:51 am - Burlington County, NJ
Isn't it AMAZING to experience that a taste, or one piece, or whatever, can be enough? That was a totally foreign concept to me preop. See, even though you're learning self control, as you say here, I'm also reading you as saying there IS such a thing for you as a little bit being enough to help you MAINTAIN self control. (Or do I misunderstand this?) I think this is a wonderful thing.
Vicki In A Clam Shell
on 6/1/09 3:22 am - near Louisville, KY
no, you are absolutely right.  I really am good with just a bite or two.  I have also found that I like flavor intensity, I would rather have one bite of a Ghiradelli chocolate peanut butter bar and save the rest for another time than a whole bag of reese cups.  The difference in flavor is light years apart.  My honey says I have turned into a foodie.  Maybe. 
I owed it to myself to research the duodenal switch before consenting to any other weight loss surgery and so do you.  Check out DSFacts.com and DuodenalSwitch.com for more information.  Remember think twice, cut once, revisions are risky and revision surgeons are rare.
 DS Lab Rats 

Ocean M.
on 5/31/09 11:36 am - North Hollywood, CA
I couldn't agree more, Anne!

I've limited my carbs to less than 50 a day (and usually it's right about 25 grams) since surgery and the most I've had is 112 grams ONCE.. and I still haven't lost to 50% of my EWL and I'm 8 months out. I don't want to think about what my weight loss would be like if I hadn't restricted carbs.

The DS is NOT a food free for all and it's really not good that some folks make it seem like it is, imo. Regain does, and WILL happen given the opportunity. Some people have huge amounts of malabsorption and some have almost none even with super short common channels. I'm getting in 800 calories a day and I'm sitting in stall-land.. AGAIN.. and every day I worry whether this stall might be the last stall that signals where I'm leveling off at. At least I know that I haven't gone carb crazy and self-sabotaged my weight loss.

Yeah, the DS is definately NOT a free pass to eat whatever you want without consequences.
HW 467 (82.7) / SW 345 (61.1) / CW 224 (39.6) / GW 150 (26.5)  - last weigh in on 09/29/2009 - 121 pounds lost since surgery / 243 pounds lost from highest weight - Never settle. Period. Whatever it is, it's worth fighting for.
Proud angel (and friend) to Cubankitten9, Leslie,Yeaokaybye, RussH. and Chere * Thank you Sandy (SaMaRo) for being my angel and my friend
Guate Wife
on 5/31/09 2:34 pm - Grand Rapids, MI

Hey Ocean,  based upon what you have written, my body would be stalling because I would not have been giving it enough calories.  Whenever things stopped or slowed down, I took a look at my intake, and sure enough I was not getting enough in and my body was holding onto every ounce for dear life.  You know yourself and your patterns best, but I would suggest not being scared to experiment and bump the calories up ( a LOT, considering DS math).

~ I am the proud wife of a Guatemalan, but most people call me Kimberley
Highest Known Weight  =  370#  /  59.7 bmi  @  5'6"

Current Weight  =  168#  /  26.4 bmi  :  fluctuates 5# either way  @  5'7"  /  more than 90% EWL
Normal BMI (24.9)  =  159#:  would have to compromise my muscle mass to get here without plastics, so this is not a goal.

I   my DS.    Don't go into WLS without knowing ALL of your options:  DSFacts.com

Ocean M.
on 6/1/09 7:24 am - North Hollywood, CA
Pre-op I only ate about 1100 calories a day.. and I had a MUCH larger stomach. I'm very clear that my metabolism is completely ****** up (pardon the crude language). The most I've been able to pack in on a daily basis is 1500 calories since having the DS and that was constantly having food funneled into my mouth. I get all my protein in and I eat well. I'm convinced that my stalls are directly related to the amount of steroids I'm on and when I'm on them. Usually a couple of weeks after I come off the steroids the stall breaks and I lose a chunk of weight. The only way I'm going to be able to get in more than 1000 calories a day is if I start drinking the calories and DO NOT want to do that.

I've tried bumping up my calorie intake and I've either stayed the same or gained weight.. not something I want to deal with long term. Part of the issue is that I don't have the typical DS system in that I live in a pretty chronically semi-constipated state (not complaining since I had horrible diarrhea and bowel issues pre-op) and my lab work has shown that my system has nearly completely compensated for the intestinal bypass already. All of my labs have gone up to nearly max levels with minimal (and even no) supplementation.

Not everyone has a system like mine, but some people do (I can think of at least 5 off the top of my head). And for those of us with systems that overcompensate at a rapid pace, increasing intake doesn't help, it hurts.

I love my DS. Please don't get me wrong. But one thing I've learned is that each person is individual and no one set of instructions is going to work for everyone, and that goes for food, activity and supplementation as well as the rest of life.

Thank you for wanting to help and for giving me a recommendation that I know does work for others, it just doesn't work for me. *shrug* I appreciate it, though!
HW 467 (82.7) / SW 345 (61.1) / CW 224 (39.6) / GW 150 (26.5)  - last weigh in on 09/29/2009 - 121 pounds lost since surgery / 243 pounds lost from highest weight - Never settle. Period. Whatever it is, it's worth fighting for.
Proud angel (and friend) to Cubankitten9, Leslie,Yeaokaybye, RussH. and Chere * Thank you Sandy (SaMaRo) for being my angel and my friend
Elizabeth N.
on 6/1/09 1:55 am - Burlington County, NJ
Ocean, if I were only getting in 800 calories, I'd be totally stuck/stalled because of the starvation protection mechanism. Are those your calories after DS math or before?
Ocean M.
on 6/1/09 7:39 am - North Hollywood, CA
As I said to Kim above, for me 800 calories is a decent amount and it's nearly as much as I used to eat pre-op (about 1200 calories with a MUCH larger stomach). Some days if I really pu**** I can get in 1200 calories, but I haven't been able to get more than 1500 in a day since surgery. If I eat more than about 1000-1100 calories I not only stop losing weight, I gain weight. And the calorie count is a regular calorie count not using DS math. My stalls are really related to very high doses of steroids that I've been on for nearly 6 of the last 8 months. When I go off the steroids a couple of weeks later I start losing again. Just the way it goes for me.
Recent Topics