DS is not an "eat anything you want" surgery

Elizabeth N.
on 6/1/09 1:45 am - Burlington County, NJ
I think you're just fine with that amount of carbs.

My experience was that by concentrating on protein first, then veggies, then anything else, it was many, many months before I could exceed 100 grams of carbs in a day, as long as I didn't take in any carby liquids like juice. It worked very well for me. It took 26 months for me to reach 100% EWL. Currently I'm not putting any restraints on carb intake except for the social ones *g*, and am maintaining my weight that way.
Kerry J.
on 5/31/09 5:18 am - Santa Clara, UT
Hi Anne,

Good post! And I agree with you, it's really all about everyone taking personal responsibility for their weight even though we DSers have a very powerful tool to help us.

To me there are two of separate issues here:

1. What can a DSer eat? 

Answer: After a few months probably about anything. However this is really a personal thing, it's different for everyone.

2. What should a DSer eat?

Answer: Proteins, Fats, Greens and some Complex Carbs. 

IMO the beauty of the DS is that even though we shouldn't eat birthday cake and ice cream because it's full of simple carbs and white flour; if we do, the consequences are pretty much the same for us as they are for a normal thin person. We still have to take responsibility for what we eat just like anyone else does. However the DS doesn't hammer us with dumping syndrome if we have some cake and ice cream like RNY does. So it's really nice to splurge once in awhile and enjoy the birthday cake, but do not think that just because the DS isn't going to hit you with dumping means it's OK to eat cake all the time.

Just my $.02

Kerry
Anne S.
on 5/31/09 5:24 am

Well put, Kerry. 

:-)

Learning about the DS? An excellent resource is www.dsfacts.com
For scientific studies about the DS and more, "friend" me, and then click on my profile. Best of luck on your journey.

(deactivated member)
on 5/31/09 5:38 am - Cumberland, IN
Excellent, Excellent Post!

I am not bashing anyone that has never counted a carb or counted anything with their DS, but I totally think that isn't the mindset that new patients should have.  Since the very beginning I have kept my carbs at about 50g per day.  Some days it's extremely low (about 20) and some days it's a little over (about 60)  I have never in the last 6 months went over 75 grams.

Currently for the last 2 weeks I've been at a stall, and I've gained a little.  I was 295, but now I am holding steady at 299.  And I believe it's because I am allowing myself to eat more freely than I did for the first 6 months. Potato Chips are a killer for me!  I've had about a serving or two per day for about the last month, and I know that may be what is slowing me down, so guess what I haven't had any for two days and so far so good! 

I am trying to limit myself to no more than 30g a day right now, just to see if my weight loss will pick back up, if it doesn't then I know that it's time ti shake my body up a little.  I am not complaining, and I will not post a topic about it because I know it happens.  Unless I've been at a stall for more than 2 months, I am not worried.  It's not a huge deal to me.

I have about 240 pounds to lose and Now I only have a little over 70 and that is because I am following the rules.  Of course I've had a couple bites of cake, or course I've had a treat here and there, but guess what?  I don't overdue it!  At all.  I have not had a slice of cake, it's always a forkful at the most.  I've never had an entire bag of chips, it's always a small serving at the most. I haven't had any major forms of sugar in 6 months.  And it's leading me to maximize my weight loss and I am going to keep doing it until I reach 225 pounds.

But you better believe once I hit 225 I am eating a Philly cheesesteak sub from Subway and a bowl of cereal...LMAO!
Anne S.
on 5/31/09 6:03 am

Excellent post, thanks!

Learning about the DS? An excellent resource is www.dsfacts.com
For scientific studies about the DS and more, "friend" me, and then click on my profile. Best of luck on your journey.

Denise Afflerbach
on 5/31/09 7:10 am - Baden, PA
 Dude!  When you hit goal, don't settle for a subway cheesesteak!  Let's see if we can get you the real deal from Geno's or Pat's in South Philly...there is a HUGE difference from the chipped meat that they use, to the cheese ooze, to the fresh baked south philly rolls.  Keep me updated and I'll try to get you set up...for real!  I was born in Philly, family moved to small town America, then I went back to college and Grad school in Philly.  I have stood in line on the street for 45 minutes at 2am to get a Pat's cheesesteak, no questions asked.  I'm ashamed to admit that when we travel back East to visit family, hubby and I do a decadent food tour.  I usually pay for it in the 8 hour drive out the turnpike on the ride home, but I got a smile on my face!
Spring_Valley_Deb
on 5/31/09 7:22 am

HIJACK -  Brok you always make me smile! Just wanted to say that I made your pizza for friends on Fri night -- and it was a HUGE hit.  They told me I should offer delivery!

Deb H.

rifraf
on 5/31/09 1:23 pm
Just a suggestion on the Philly Cheesesteak...

There's a cheesesteak place (NOT Subway) near my office which makes the best cheesesteaks.  I was concerned after I got my DS how hard it would be to hold off of those. 

So I went one day (about 3 months out) for a cheesesteak...  Couldn't do the bread, of course, so I grabbed a plastic fork and scooped out the insides...  Lets see...  Meat, cheese, peppers and onions...  Nothing in there I should avoid.  So I just eat the insides.  And one cheesesteak lasts me all afternoon (2 meals worth).

Hell, the DS is saving me money on food (though I'll end up spending that money on new clothes, dammit...  (I hate clothes shopping, but there are certainly worse reasons for doing it)

Jeremy

Onederland reached on 8/29/09!!!  198.9 lbs!!!  Goal reached on 10/23/09!!!
I love my DS!!  This is a hell of a ride!!

Sahrramon
on 6/3/09 7:11 am - Atlanta, GA
Dude...I feel you on that cereal :-)

Norma

(deactivated member)
on 5/31/09 5:46 am
I fight the carb beast daily. I haven't lost a pound in a month, in fact I've gained. Why? Carbs. I've cut back drastically and stopped buying snacks. My downfall.

Sometimes you get it in your head that you can eat like  a skinny person. Someone who never had a weight problem. It's not true.

You may be smaller, but your mind is still geared like someone who over eats. It's a learning process. A hard lesson to learn.

I'm about 10 months out and a revision. I lose slower than most DSers. Many of the physical problems, although slightly eliviated are still present. Arthritis. Which means I can't jog the couch to 5 K, like I would love to try.

So I do what I can.

What I'm trying to say is that, adjusted eating habits and exercise are what is gonna keep the weight off and down. It's not a carte blanch for food.

In the long run. Years from now, I don't want the weight to come creeping back on me. So now, during the first 18 months is a good time to learn proper eating and lifestyle changes we need to make to insure that our DS is a success.

Dana
Recent Topics