Realistic Goals and Personal Responsibility

Kilaani
on 5/9/09 3:49 pm - Las Vegas, NV
On May 9, 2009 at 7:51 PM Pacific Time, DianaCox wrote:

Well, it's probably too late to change that, but being forewarned is forearmed.  You just need to be more diligent.

hijack- wow, Diana, you look fabulous!!!!!!

Jill

Jill - revision - band to DS 3/10/05 Dr. Baltasar, Spain
440/140/149  hw/cw/gw - 5'5" -300lbs -- bmi 73.2 to 24.8 :) GOAL MET 10/26/10!!.... Even made 140 September 2012. Been ranging 4-6lbs from 144-146 since then. Back to 140 December 2012, hoping to see it again after I feel better and start working out. 

Kilaani
on 5/9/09 4:00 pm - Las Vegas, NV
Diligent - good word - I think of Harry Potter and what Professor Moody used to say : Constant Vigilence! I have to be that way and weigh myself often, or the 5 pounds can start going up. I totally agree with your post. Considering my original SSMO state, I'm pretty happy with where I am, but I never did get to my 149 goal. I know regain is something I have to keep at bay depending on carb choices, sugar, and water weight! 

I'm happy to hear that you've been continuing to lose - that's so awesome! :) 

Jill - revision - band to DS 3/10/05 Dr. Baltasar, Spain
440/140/149  hw/cw/gw - 5'5" -300lbs -- bmi 73.2 to 24.8 :) GOAL MET 10/26/10!!.... Even made 140 September 2012. Been ranging 4-6lbs from 144-146 since then. Back to 140 December 2012, hoping to see it again after I feel better and start working out. 

ImArustyRose
on 5/9/09 8:23 am - TX

Yep, Yep Yep Yep,  It does not matter who(s) you were writing about but as for me I Gotta stop whining, start believing, I'm sort of lost in the half-fast surgery I was given. (not the full DS) It really is confusing trying to figure it out. Gotta get a move on, get up and get going.   Hugs Diana. I can do better.  Not perfect here.   Not bad either.  Gotta eat more not less.  Less means hungry for quick fixes.  Quick fixes=carbs,  Gotta plan better.  Oh well........ping pong ball in a shoe box,...lol..  who said this was the easy way out?   I guess at 62 I will not end up looking like Haley Haley.  However, my diabetes is gone now, as far as I know.   I guess that means I wont have to have dialysis later on, or any other of  the things that go with diabetes,    Yep Yep Yep......screw carbs.... can I say screw here?

ARustyRose

lauralisi
on 5/9/09 8:24 am - Dona Ana, NM
Hijack-did you get my PM?
ImArustyRose
on 5/9/09 8:53 am - TX
Yep just got both of them.  Mulling over this,  thinking, will call Monday,  Will call you tomorrow if I have your number,   sorry for the hijack back,

ARustyRose

Elizabeth N.
on 5/9/09 10:21 am, edited 5/10/09 3:12 am - Burlington County, NJ
Edited because my calculations are wrong: 100 grams of protein is a pound of meat, fish or cheese, or a dozen and a half eggs.

Eat more protein and MORE FAT. You will have better satiety. After you've eaten your protein and your fat, eat veggies. It has worked for more than one "half DSer." (People who didn't get their sleeve portion.)

100 grams of protein a day in food is a pound and a half of meat or cheese or chicken or fish. That is a LOT of food. Now get on the stick and start eating!
Mary_J
on 5/10/09 9:54 am
Yep yep!  I'm a half DSer, short, old(er), a double-revision with a wrecked metabolism from multiple diets, and I don't exercise, and I still made it below the goal on the BMI chart before plastics.  I've always told people, I may have to work harder to succeed at it, but I WILL do it!  And even 'harder' isn't anything I'm complaining about, cuz it's sure a lot easier than the multiple diets that lost me a hundered pounds (more than once!) - I'll take a 175lb loss this way any day:)

5' 5" -  317.5 / 132 / 134  SW / CW / GW

(deactivated member)
on 5/9/09 10:16 am
Diana, thank you so much for this informative and thought-provoking post. I am definitely bookmarking it to read again after my surgery.

Mom_Of_Two_Girls
on 5/9/09 12:25 pm - Summerland, Canada
Why oh why do people have to tell me the truth!

God Dammit Diana - You post such good stuff but it depresses the crap out of me!

As a 400 pound Pre-Op I look at all the skinny Post-Op pics of folks on here and dream about achieving that too.

Now I'm feeling sheepish and wondering if I can even get below 200 pounds?

It's okay though, I'd rather be 200 pounds than 400 anyday.

And there are folks who buck the averages right? Maybe I'll be one of those freaks.

Harumph and grumble grumble grumble.

(thanks for the reality check Diana - I just wi**** wasn't so "real")

Susie
(deactivated member)
on 5/9/09 1:22 pm - San Jose, CA
What if you DON'T get below 200?  Are you going to be miserable?  Do you set your expectatons lower and then use that as an excuse to not try?  It is just information -- how you use it is up to you.  Plenty of people who started at your weight have lost 80-100%, but not everyone.  How are you going to feel if you end up at 250?  At 205?  At 195?  They are just numbers.  What they mean to you is up to you, so long as you are healthy.

Remember too that the "window" is to some extent open as long as you want it to be.  If you eat high protein, high fat and low carb, you likely can still lose for a long time, albeit a lot more slowly.  I am proof of that (and I don't eat THAT low carb).  The lower your weight, the more comfortably you can move around and get some exercise, which will help.

I know you can do well -- knowing you ,may have to work a bit harder in advance is better than having unreasonable expectations that you just have to do the minimum and it will work by itself.  Being of Hispanic Jewish (Moorish) heritage, I should have worked a little harder than I did, but I didn't know that at the time.  Would I have done things differently?  Perhaps.  But I am very happy to know that I can still control things if I pay careful attention.
Recent Topics