Realistic Goals and Personal Responsibility

lauralisi
on 5/9/09 8:23 am - Dona Ana, NM
Oh Noooooooo!  We'll have to meet in a neutral place where I'm not tempted!!!!!!! I loved to smoke and don't trust myself
Irishcoda
on 5/9/09 3:31 am
Thanks for your very useful and very informative post, Diana.  I've not set a "goal" weight for myself because I couldn't remember what the percentage was.  I also think it was *very* helpful to remind us about personal responsibility here and the fact the DS is a tool, not a magic bullet.  My general goal right now is to be healthier by losing the high BP, diabetes, getting my ankle fixed and walking as much as I used to.  So far I've achieved the first two (at least for now and I'm so thrilled!).  The percentage helps me have a guideline as to what my ranges might be and I'm entirely happy.  I am SO happy with my DS even at this early stage and in spite of any discomforts up to now.  Thanks again! 

krissywats
on 5/9/09 3:32 am - Kew Gardens, NY
Thank you for this.
Maria C.
on 5/9/09 3:44 am - KY
This really needed to be said.  I have to keep my carbs under 30g a day to keep losing well at 7 months out.  I know it's because I am very sedentary.  Yeah, it sucks, but if you aren't willing to do what it takes, quit whining. 

HW 246    SW 243     CW - below goal    GW 139     Height 5'3"
Kennedy12
on 5/9/09 3:59 am - Chicago, IL
Thanks Diana,

I workout 9 hours a week and have been watching my carb intake (keeping at 50 or below) for almost a year now and I've stopped losing weight at 235, which at 5'10" puts me in a size 18 pants. I look good and feel great, but a skinny mini I will never be.

I had to give up on my push to lose more weight (I got caught up in the excitement of losing my weight regain) when my body decided to stay put for many, many months in a row, regardless of what I did.

Jillian

Phase 1 Plastic Surgery Completed 9/9/09 with Dr. Siamak Agha.

Nopenname
on 5/9/09 4:20 am - Tacoma, WA
Thank you for this post.

I think sometimes we need a reminder that we don't need to be better than most people just because we once were obese.

There are all kinds of people out there living with an "overweight' BMI that no one would look at and think...wow that person is really fat. They're shopping off racks in normal clothing stores and are plenty healthy even if they aren't the "medically ideal" weight for their height.

We should not expect necessarily of ourselves to BE our medically ideal weight for our height just because we've had surgery when there are plenty of people out there blessed with good genetics and super metabolisms who aren't even that weight.

HW/ SW/ CW/ GW

453/380/160/165

I'm pretty sure bacon tastes as good as thin feels!
*Feel free to call me "Pen" or "Nic" I'll even answer to "hey you" *

Lisey
on 5/9/09 4:34 am - Milwaukee suburb, WI
As always, it was an interesting post.  I want to throw out a different perspective on a low (unlikely to obtain), yet a healthy weight goal that is possible to obtain.  I like to set my goal a little higher (well, in WL, lower) b/c it's something that I would like that would be exciting to obtain.  If I don't make it & am a little heavier (hopefully not too much), so be it.  I would still be happy!  But, I like to set more challenging goals, in general.  It motivates me to strive to be the best me that I can be.  Wow - that reminds me of that old recruiter commercial, but seriously, it motivates me.  I think the point that irritated you the most, if I got your message right, is when people complain of where they are in their weight loss versus their goal & their healthy lifestyle committments.  I'm just trying to say that there may be other people like me who set the goal arguably on the low side (yet still healthy) b/c it will motivate them to do their best.

HW / SW / CW / GW      299 / 287160 / 140     Feb '09 / Mar '09 / Dec '13 /Aug '10          

Appendicitis/Bowel Obstruction Surgery 8/21/10
Beat Hodgkin's Lymphoma!  7/15/2011 - 1/26/2012 

Ran Half-Marathon 10/14/2012

First Pregnancy, Due 8/12/14                             I LOVE MY DS!!!

kellylink
on 5/9/09 4:52 am
Diana:
As always, nicely put!  Thanks for posting.

Lori Black
on 5/9/09 5:56 am - , IN
Diana,

Thank you.  I don't know anyone that could have put it so well, VERY well thought out post that I'll be bookmarking for the future!!! 

Lori
M ..
on 5/9/09 7:11 am
Great post Diana. Being a pre-op this has given me lots to think about. Thanks!

Lilypie - (bM9u)

Recent Topics