New - Revision to DS - Help?

redzz04
on 3/29/09 11:46 pm
Hi!

Hi everyone, hope you can help me out. I had RNY done on back in 04'. While I did well on it by loosing 110 pounds. I completely stopped loosing. (well this happened before my year was even up). At any rate...I can eat alot more than I should (thinking my pouch is stretched...or stoma stretched) dont want that stomaphyx as have heard many bad things about it not working and it being a waste of money. anyway, I can tolerate sugar (try not to eat sugar) I have a pretty good time absorbing my nutrients when I stay on top of my vitamins... for two years I exercised faithfully and ate healthy minus most sugar and didn't loose a drop of weight. I do qualify for a revision and I've been considering a revision to DS as I have been advised it could be a metabolic issue... thing is... I'm scared to deat of the DS. In the past I heard all kinds of scary stories about vitamin deficiencies and complications. I read through quite a few posts and everyone seems to be ok. Is there anyone out there that has had a revision from an RNY to DS? Any experiences for those out for a few years from the DS is very welcome. I'd like to hear the sucess stories as well as the scary ones. Thanks so much!!!

"Never act until you have answered the question 'What happens if I do nothing?'" - Robert Brault
"Love is borne from soul to soul on the wings of words." - Rudolph Steiner  
 Elizabeth M 

Redhaired
on 3/30/09 12:23 am - Mouseville, FL
I cannot comment on the revision side of things.  But the DS was absolutely the best thing for me.  I had it a little rough in the beginning but once I got over that I have had absolutely no issues with the DS.  I have no bowel issues, my labs have all been good and I have lost all of the weight that I needed to lose.  I eat a variety of foods and no food really causes me any issues.  One reads (and hears from surgeons who do not do the DS) all sorts of horror stories about malabsorption, terrible gas, constant diarrhea and other maladies that trouble DSers -- but all of that for the most part is greatly exaggerated.  My best advice would be to talk to an experienced DS revision surgeon to get the straight story on your options.

Red

redzz04
on 3/30/09 12:56 am
Thanks Red,

Yeah those are some of the horror stories I've heard. But there are chances with every surgery. It seems this one isn't as bad as they make it out to be. It is scary though going in for a revision as I'm sure the risks are much higher than just having a normal procedure. Have to think alot on it.
JROLFSON
on 3/30/09 1:29 am - St. George, UT
Dear Red:

I'm sure you will get several people to respond to this post...But, if a absolute qualified answer is what your looking for, regarding your options to revise to DS...Pose this question to Dr. Husted he has answered many people's questions on this forum and is very versed in the transfer from RNY to DS. Also, Dr. Rabkin in San Francisco and Dr. Keshshian in Delano, CA. Dr. Rabkin and Dr. Keshshian don't post here but you can call there offices.

I like you am looking to Revise from RNY to DS. It is very tricky, and can be a very risky surgery. The biggest issue here is making sure you have a very experienced surgeon who has done the surgery many times over. That isn't that easy to find. I have found about 5 in the US who are very well versed in this procedure. Dr. Husted happens to have developed a couple techniques that to my knowledge no other surgeon uses for those times when the take down of the pouch get to difficult he has other ways of going about it.

Good Luck Red.

J Rolfson
larra
on 3/30/09 1:47 am - bay area, CA
Hi and welcome!
    It sounds like you're doing your research, which is great. I'm not a revision patient, so can only tell you that I'm very satisfied with both my weight loss results and my quality of life. The stuff about horrible diarrhea and nutritional deficiencies has been greatly overstated.
    Another possible surgeon for you (I believe you are back east somewhere) would be Dr. Greenbaum in New Jersey. I'm sure you could contact him, as well as the others already mentioned, by email.
    And here is a link to a great article by Dr. Keshishian about revision results: http://www.dssurgery.com/aboutus/Research/safeoperation.pdf

Best of luck!

Larra
redzz04
on 3/30/09 2:01 am
Thanks so much everyone!!! 
KRWaters
on 3/30/09 11:40 am - Manteca, CA
If travel is not a problem, check out Dr. Keshishian in Delano, California. He is one of the most experienced in revisions. Though he does charge a program fee, he is so worth it. He assured me, as well as he could ,that he never leaves the OR until the old gastric bypass is put back in place (pouch taken down) and a complete DS done. He says he has finished every single one of his revisions from the GB. I like those stats. Check out his website, I think Larra sent it to you.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

Lorie2
on 3/30/09 12:00 pm
Hi,
I had a revision done in Feb.09. It's about 5 weeks now. I had a RNY done in 2003. I gained weight and found out my stoma was stretched. I went to DS DR. Mustafa Hares in Michigan. He was wonderful. He also was nine hours away. I did stay there for about 12 days. 4 days in the hospital and the rest in a hotel.

anyway I expected the Ds and came home with the extended RNY. I had some complications once surgery started. My colon was twisted and I had a hernia. I also had lots of scarr tissue. He could not do the full revision to a Ds. He did the best he could with what he had to work with. I have lost about 25 pounds so far and am very happy. I don't have any dumping, I wasn't sick after surgery and I'm doing great. My surgery was about 5 hours with the twisted colon and hernia repair. I'm happy I still got a second chance and at least got half of the DS. My common channel is a 100cm.  Just wanted you to know some times it doesn't always goes the way you want but thats ok. Good luck to you. You can pm if you have any questions.
Lori
redzz04
on 3/31/09 6:47 am
my goodness! I'm glad they were able to fix that twisted colon! That couldn't be good at all! And the hernia as well. I probably have a hernia too. It wouldn't surprise me. I haven't heard of the extended RNY. Did you have insurance coverage? If so was it hard to get approval? I'm worried about that as well.
Lorie2
on 4/1/09 12:28 am
The extended Rny or I guess its called a distal rny, is the same as the bottom part of a duodenal switch. The doc move your intestines down farther so there isn't so much absorption of food. The doc didn't touch my pouch at all. (he couldn't, )  The common channel is where food and enzymes meet and get absorbed. It is a 100cm. I did have insurance coverage. I called my insurance to see if they covered the code for a revision, (i have that code) and they said yes. I still needed preapproval but it was a covered benefit. My first surgery failed me so in my letter to the insurance I made sure they knew it mechanically failed me.  my stoma is stretched and I gained weight plus i really didn''t get to my goal the first time. The doc office set a date i did a phsych eval and some blood work. I bugged the insurance almost every day and got my ok with in a month. It would have been sooner, but they sent it to the wrong dept. So i guess it pays to bug them or it never would have gotten to the right place! anymore questions, just pm me.

Lori
Most Active
15 years post surgery
jopringle · 1 replies · 62 views