NEED SOOO!!! MUCH FEEDBACK

JROLFSON
on 3/10/09 12:28 am - St. George, UT
Hi:

I'm new to the DS Board, been hanging around the revision board for over a year. But, I finally got my insurance approval and I'm trying to determine what procedure to have.

Can all you Revised from RNY to DS please tell me how it's going for you, what you went through, just anything you can forward will be food for thought for me. I want good and bad, anything that can help me make the most qualified decision. I so appreciate this forum.

Thanks so much.

JRoflson
Kerry J.
on 3/10/09 12:42 am - Santa Clara, UT
Hi Janie,

I and a number others have had RNY to DS revisions and as far as I know, we are all doing great. If anyone is having problems, I'm not aware of them. I feel great, I can eat like a normal person and I'm losing weight; over 75 pounds so far. I did have some complications, but they were related to my early bypass and torn stomach scar tissue and not something normally seen in RNY - DS revisions.

I sent you a PM some time ago with my cell phone number if you want to get together. If you want to talk or meet about it, I'm available after noon today. I have a bid to get out by noon and then I should be free to do what ever.

Kerry
JROLFSON
on 3/10/09 4:23 am - St. George, UT
Hi Kerry:

Yes, I would like to get together....I have to make a final decision on this thing pretty quick. The thing I'm so worried about, are the complications because I too have the torn stomach scar tissue, matter of fact scar tissue everywhere due to my last revision to RNY. When I went through my last surgery to the RNY it was quite major and took them many hours to complete because of the tearing from the stapling, scar tissue from the stapling, etc. So I can just imagine it's been over 16 years since then what it looks like in there now.

I would have loved to meet today, but I too have a bid deadline. So I will give you a call. I'm sure my husband would just love to be able to talk with a guy who has been through this. It would make him feel much better than talking with me about it, he says I leave certain things out to make the procedure more appealing. Go figure.

Anyway, I will be calling you.

Thanks Again,

Janie
Kerry J.
on 3/11/09 1:12 am - Santa Clara, UT
Any time should be O****il next Tuesday; which is bid day again.

Kerry
Lori Black
on 3/10/09 11:32 pm - , IN
*Bump*

I'm not a revision, but I'm bumping this so hopefully more revisions will see your question.  You can try reposting too...make sure to say something like, "Need advise from those with revisions."

Good luck to you!

Lori
Tabitha70
on 3/11/09 2:58 am
I had complications too and I really believe that anyone thinking about getting a RNY to DS revision has to really be prepared for the possibility of complications. A 'virgin' DS is a major surgery and a revision is riskier. I'm sure you already know that though. I was in surgery for about 8 hours. That darn scar tissue!  I had leaks and still have one but it is contained. I had a few surgeries and also procedures done while in the hospital. They attempted to glue the stubborn leak 2 times endoscopically.  I also developed blood infections...my hospital stay was 53 days total.  It was a rough time, I was very ill and scared my family very badly but I still would do it again.  My life was at a standstill for years with a failed RNY and the revision is the only thing that has given me hope.  I am feeling pretty good although I still get tired easily. 
Make sure your surgeon is experienced in RNY to DS revisions!!!!!
I do not regret anything and I look forward to the future.    :-)
JROLFSON
on 3/11/09 3:11 am - St. George, UT
Wow!!! This is exactly the kind of information I am looking for. I don't just want the success stories right from surgery I want to know all the risks. My last revision to RNY from Gastric Stapling or Gastroplasty, was major as well. Took over 8 hrs and I lost a lot of blood. Although I had no leaks and faired quite well.

The leak thing is very scary to me. Thank yo for your information. Can you tell me How much have you lost since your RNY to DS?

Thank you so much.

JR
Tabitha70
on 3/11/09 3:27 am
Sure, I'm just over 3 months out and I've lost 55 pounds as of this morning. So far I'm not exercising but hope to get some energy back soon so I can do some walking. I feel like I'm eating quite a bit and really not having trouble with any foods as long as I take it slowly. I am still drinking at least 1 protein shake a day to make sure I get all my protein in.  I know you didn't ask but here's some TMI info for you...I go to the bathroom one time in the morning compared to several times a day before surgery. I have little to no gas. I was so afraid that I'd be in the bathroom all day stinking up the neighborhood but all of that is way *better* since getting the DS.  I was having a lot of trouble with hypoglycemia with my RNY and have not had it once since getting the DS.
Just to be honest, most of the people I've met on here that have had this revision did have complications. That doesn't mean there aren't a zillion that didn't have any, but just my experience in talking with people. The scar tissue and leaks are a real concern. Mine was supposed to be LAP but ended up Open.  Some people I talk to woke up to find they only got a ERNY, not a full DS but hopefully they will still do well. Sometimes the scar tissue is just so bad around the stomach that the surgeon doesn't touch it.  You must have an experienced revision surgeon so that he is prepared to deal with any complications.
I'm still afraid the surgery won't be successful for me (which is normal) but I have HOPE and that is way more than I had the past 5 or so years of my life!  
I hope you get to talk with Kerry and if I can answer anything else just let me know.
HUGS!
JROLFSON
on 3/11/09 3:37 am - St. George, UT
You are just the sweetest! Thank you so much for your honest and forthright replies.

I just don't think I can spend several months recooperating or going back and forth between Utah and California....That is where I would get my Revision if I were to go to a DS.

Not sure if the risks are worth it.

Thanks Again,

Good Luck and keep up the good work.

Janie
Kerry J.
on 3/11/09 5:11 am - Santa Clara, UT
I just don't think I can spend several months recooperating or going back and forth between Utah and California....That is where I would get my Revision if I were to go to a DS.

From what I've read about and heard, those types of complications are very rare; but they do happen, even to virgin DS and RNY patients. Most everyone I've heard about having complications ended up staying in the hospital for a few extra days like I did, but also like me, once released had no more problems. 

There are a few who seem to have problems with leaks; I'm thinking of Yorkiegirl for example, but I don't know if Yorkie is a revision or this was her first surgery. I also think those types of complications are more related to the stomach tissue strength than to the fact that it's a revision surgery. Those with frail tissue will have problems with any type of gastric surgery.

I think you're wise to look carefully at all your options and risks and compare them with the benefits you will gain. For me personally; I would do it again in a nanosecond.

Kerry

Most Active
15 years post surgery
jopringle · 1 replies · 58 views