DS REVISION

JROLFSON
on 2/12/09 3:44 am - St. George, UT
HI TO ALL:

I'M NEW TO THE DS SITE. WAS HOPING TO GET INFO FROM PAST RNY TO DS REVISIONER'S. ANYONE WHO HAS AN RNY TO DS COULD YOU PLEASE LET ME KNOW HOW YOU'RE DOING...SOME OF THE THINGS I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO LEARN IS TIME FOR HEALING, MALOPSORBTION PROBLEMS, GAS PROBLEMS, RETURN TO WORK, DOCTORS....JUST TRYING TO RESEARCH THIS, FEEL IT MIGHT BE A BETTER FIT FOR ME THAN ERNY.

THANK YOU SO MUCH

JROLFSON
Kerry J.
on 2/12/09 4:40 am - Santa Clara, UT
I got a revision from my 1980 gastric bypass to DS back in September. You can read about the details on my profile, you can also PM me and I'll give you my cell number if you want to talk, I'm just across town from you.

Best move I've made, I've lost almost 70 pounds, I eat well and am still losing and feel great!
I love my DS, it's far surperior to bypass/RNY.

Kerry
JROLFSON
on 2/12/09 7:06 am - St. George, UT
Well hi Kerry...I lost touch with you. Last time we emailed you hadn't decided upon a doctor yet and we're still debating on which route to go. I am impressed. I have just read your profile and frankly it scares me about all you went through. I know now it was all worth it, but to have to go back into surgery scares me absolutely to death.

This would be my second revision and the first revision I had was very scary, took 10 hours + although I did much better after it than the first WLS I had. I'm so happy for your success.

I'm may be contacting you, I would love to talk with you about your progress.

Thanks so much.

Janie Rolfson
Laurie LOVES her DS
on 2/12/09 11:03 am - Southern, CA
Janie,

There are plenty of RNY to DS revision patients on this board and I'm sure more will come along shortly.

My best word of advice to you ... Get the MOST EXPERIENCED surgeon you can.  Having had two prior wls, you are most likely at greater risk for surgical complications and you need a surgeon who is prepared for that.

Since you're in Southern Utah, I would recommend Rabkin in San Francisco. 

I'll wave next time I pass thru St. George.  All my family lives in Utah and we visit once or twice a year ...

Best of luck!

Laurie

PRE OPS ...  Want a surgery that has the least chance of long-term re-gain, is BEST at curing your Diabetes (98%+), removes much of the hunger hormone Ghrelin, NO DUMPING, NO MARGINAL ULCERS and NO STOMA / STRICTURES? CURIOUS WHY I CHOSE THE DS?  VISIT MY PROFILE.

JROLFSON
on 2/12/09 11:12 pm - St. George, UT

Hi Laure:

Thank you for responding. I appreciate the caring words. I'm very scared about a DS, love the results hate the complications, especially in my case.

I'll wave back if I know when you pop through.

Janie

Kerry J.
on 2/13/09 12:37 am - Santa Clara, UT
Janie,

Not everyone that gets a revision has complications; I think if you have a modern RNY, your chances are much better than mine were of not having complications. Remember, I had had a torn stomach from the staple line pulling apart for almost 28 years and things had grown together and I had a weird scar tissue flap in my stomach.

I almost bled to death 28 or so years ago when the staples tore apart and nothing was done to fix the problem, all I got was a blood transfusion. My torn stomach just healed up and that's what really caused the problem that led to my complication and second surgery.

I'm not saying you wouldn't have some risk; you clearly would because you're a revision and all revisions have more risk than a virgin. I just think it's important that you really understand as much about your case in particular as possible and how it relates to others like mine that had complications.

You should have a consult with Dr. Rabkin in San Francisco and if you can Dr. Simper in SLC. I never could get in touch with Simper, I tried several times, but no luck. They would be able to give you a better idea how risky a revision would be for you.

Best,

Kerry 

JROLFSON
on 2/13/09 1:14 am - St. George, UT
Thanks Kerry:

My husband said I really should get in touch with you and chat about your experiences. He felt you would give me the 100% truth. Tell me about your experience with Dr. Schlessinger. He is currently the one I have scheduled to do my ERNY. But the more I hear the less I want to do it that way. I really think the DS is the way to go.

I too had a Stapling in 1979. In about 1987 it tore apart and for about 3 years I too was bleeding and had some tearing that healed itself. I really had no idea the staples came apart until I had a blood test, due to an increase of weight gain. The blood test showed my hemoglobin at about 3...the doctors almost had a heart attach. They transfused me with both blood and iron (16 times) 4 hours  each through IV. Then scheduled me for a EGD after the Tool drop right through to the bottom of my main stomach they knew immediately I had a problem. They scheduled me for RNY Revision and into surgery again for a revision. This happened in 1989. So I am scared of getting a DS, although that is truly the way I want to go. I do believe I will get a consultation with Dr. Rabkin. What does he charge for that and we're you covered by insurance or self pay? Hope I'm not being to personal but, I don't have the money to self pay.

I would love to invite you and your wife to dinner sometime, with my husband and I. Maybe we could talk about all this, he needs to hear about all the particulars as well. For some reason my husband likes hearing the particulars from other men. We love meeting new folks and you sound like great people. We have commons bonds in the Church.

Thanks again for all your input.

JRolfson

Kerry J.
on 2/13/09 1:52 am, edited 2/13/09 1:56 am - Santa Clara, UT
Hi Janie,

Barb and I would love to have dinner with you and your hubby to discuss all this. Barb and I are leaving on a cruise early tomorrow morning and will be back next Saturday or Sunday. I'll PM you my cell number and you can call me to set up a time to get together.

We need to talk about Schlesinger. I spoke to him for almost an hour while he tried to talk me out of a DS. It ended up him blaming my poor eating habits for my obesity; DUH! He wanted to do ERNY on me too, I was less than impressed.

I also spoke to Ungson, Anthone, Rabkin and Husted. I also tried to talk to Simper and Keshishian (SP), but never could connect with them. Ungson didn't dare try to do a DS on me, Anthone, Rabkin & Husted all said it could be done; but only Rabkin was confident I would get the full DS and had a plan of how he would deal with the difficulties we knew he might encounter. Anthone and Husted both said they would try for DS, but I might wake up with ERNY. Since my first surgery took 8 1/2 hours because of all the scar tissue and adhesion's, I'm pretty sure I would be ERNY right now if I had gone to anyone else but Rabkin.

Rabkin does take insurance, but he has some up front fees, which are refundable when your insurance pays, but I don't know much about that; I was self pay. His self pay package deal was $34,000.00. With my complications, it ended up costing me $40,000.00, which IMO is the best $40k I've ever spent on anything.

If I remember correctly, Rabkin has a $300.00 consultation fee, which is deducted from the surgery cost if you have your surgery done there. 

Anyway, look for the PM and I'll be glad to talk to you.

Kerry
Most Active
15 years post surgery
jopringle · 1 replies · 58 views