Diana Cox, Scottie, anyone familiar with anal fissures (probably TMI!)...

(deactivated member)
on 1/24/09 10:30 am - San Jose, CA
OK, I see where you are coming from on this, but I still (somewhat less vehemently) disagree.

"it is painful to poop (sharp, sudden pain and burning during the BM and general discomfort for a few hours following the BM)" -- discomfort lasting for a few hours sounds like spasms to me.  If it doesn't get better after a COUPLE of days after discontinuing the iron, I would go see the doctor though.

I was misdiagnosed for THREE YEARS.  Went to the doctor probably 10 times, had 'roids banded, had levator ani trigger point cortisone injections (you cannot imagine), had levator ani trigger point physical therapy (you don't even want to THINK about what that involved); was in agony whenever I walked for more than 10 minutes from the spasms.  I may be a touch hypersensitive about getting immediate medical treatment for a suspected fissure.

While I was typing this, I noticed your post pop up quoting the Mayo clinic.  I dismiss it to the extent that it does not even suggest that there is a medical treatment, short of surgery, that can be used to heal a fissure -- i.e., along the lines of the one I suggested.  It does not involve merely soothing creams, but actual medicine that helps heal the fissure when it is accompanied by rectal spasms.
FastFingers ~*~
on 1/24/09 10:55 am
And now I see where you're coming from.  You had a considerably more extensive and painful experience than the OP has had.  I completely understand your approach in that context.  I can't imagine the agony you went through in the three years you were misdiagnosed.  The trigger point therapy sounds like dignity-free torture.  I can't even imagine.  Yes, indeed, your approach is FAR more aggressive than mine - and considering your experience, rightly so.

I just added the Mayo Clinic blurb for a description of fissures themselves, rather than for treatment (which was, I believe, on a different page on that site) since I hadn't thought that ulceration was a standard symptom of fissures, and it's not - in a basic case.  But ulceration can and - as you unfortunately know from first hand experience - certainly does happen in more severe cir****tances.

I think that you and I agree more than we disagree, but we approached it from opposite ends - me at the mildest of cases, you at the most severe.  I'm sure that, between us, we've provided the OP with a good idea of the best/worst case scenarios, which sure can't hurt!

I sure hope that you never have to go through anything like that ever again!

Flying Spagetti Monster

"Doubt everything.  Find your own light."
--
Last words of Gautama Buddha, in Theravada tradition

(deactivated member)
on 1/24/09 11:50 am - San Jose, CA
"opposite ends" --- hilarial goofy giggling ensues ....

"sure can't hurt" -- OMG, is this Freudian?? 

Sorry to be such a pain in the .. oh, you know.

The distinction between a baby fissure -- just a fresh split in the mucosa -- and an ulceration requiring aggressive treatment can be just a matter of a couple of days.

If you go to duodenalswitch.com and search "fissure" and read some of the threads (by the way, I don't know whether DSers are all that much more subject to fissures than normies, but we sure don't mind talking about it!), you will see some real horror stories about the pain and life disruption they can cause.

I would highly recommend that people bookmark this page: http://www.boardsailor.com/jack/af/
It is a collection of excellent information about anal fissures and how to treat them, especially self-help measures.
FastFingers ~*~
on 1/24/09 10:20 am
Not every fissure ulcerates.  Just to be sure I wasn't really woefully informed, I went to MayoClinic.com to double check my memory.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/anal-fissure/DS00762

Definition

An anal fissure is a small tear in the lining of the anal canal. This type of tear may develop in adults from passing hard or large stools during bowel movements. Anal fissure is also common in infants between 6 and 24 months. Anal fissures are less likely to develop in older children.

An anal fissure may cause you to experience pain and bleeding. More than 90 percent heal without surgery, and you can use topical creams or suppositories to provide relief as they heal. Anal fissures that fail to heal may become chronic and cause considerable discomfort.

If you develop an anal fissure that doesn't heal, surgery may relieve your discomfort.

Flying Spagetti Monster

"Doubt everything.  Find your own light."
--
Last words of Gautama Buddha, in Theravada tradition

subarashi
on 1/24/09 11:08 am
I don't know if it is OK for you to take mineral oil, but if so, it will help with BM's.  I have not had DS surgery but I do know what fissures and thrombosed hemorrhoids feel like.  The best treatment is prevention of constipation before it ever gets to this painful place.  Drinking 30cc or 1 oz of mineral oil (intestinal lubricant) mixed in a little juice 1-2 times per day will help the stool slide out and you won't have to strain.  The first day you may want to take it 3 times to get started.  Beware- taking too much can cause incontinence.  It is not a laxative so it does not cause cramping.  Mineral oil is also cheap and you can find it in the pharmacy aisles.  It also does not have any taste, but does not mix well since it is oil, so stir it in the juice and drink it fast, like a shot.  But please make sure it is OK with your surgeon.  I have been in so much pain trying to have a BM due to fissures or thrombosed hems in the past, that I had to poop in a tub of warm water.  Talk about a nasty mess.  Wish I had known about mineral oil years ago.  I have also used the nitro creme and lido years ago.  The lido did help with the local pain, but takes a few minutes to work.  Once, a pharmacy gave me mint lido creme.  Not a good idea cuz it really burns!  I drink 1 oz mineral oil daily to avoid constipation.  Good luck and don't be embarrassed to see a Dr.  Nothing could be worse than having to poop in your own bathtub. : )
S. B.
on 1/24/09 2:28 pm - Canada
Hi Violet,
Don't be shy about asking about these issues. People here are very welcoming with their responses. I've had anal fissures. Once last year at this time, and again this month. Anal fissures are not hard to self-diagnose. Excruciating pain with a BM, burning and pain lasting up to several hours after. Blood on stool, in bowl, on tissue. At least that is my experience. The pain really does feel like trying to pass shards of glass. For me the pain after a BM makes it difficult to walk or sit. Very few pain killers will manage the pain.

I don't get a fissure from constipation. I get one from too rapid transit of my colon - whether that is stool or gas. For example, if I really go over board on the white flour and sugars.

My doctor prescribed Anusol with hydrocortisone. I combine that with my ulcerative colitis enema (reduces the inflammation to my colon and rectum). Last year I waited a while to get diagnosed, and it took a long time for it to heal. This time I got right on it and it cleared in a week.

Diana had some good suggestions. It is really important to get the spasm under control. They cause a great deal of the pain. They also interfere with blood flow to the area - making it harder for the fissure to heal.

Good luck.
SherryB

Violet S.
on 1/25/09 12:30 am - NY
does anyone know if (and why) we Dsers are more prone to fissures than 'normal people'?? I'm curious.  -V
                                              I love my DS!
5'7'' SW-267, CW-155
Mom to 2 boys- age 6 & 4
TTC baby #3 since Oct. 2010
Recent Topics