Wanna compile a list of CHEAP protein packed dinners?

SkinnyOne
on 12/27/08 12:51 am, edited 12/27/08 6:52 am - Converse, TX
 I just want to thank EVERYONE for their contirbution to this list of great meals :)  

I absolutely LOVE chili and this is not any ordinary chili recipe !!  YUMMO !!!  Recipe is from Rachael Ray's 30 minute meals and my brother and me fell in love with this...awesome !!

Morrocan Chili

2 T EVOO  (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
2 # ground beef
S & P
2 T chili powder
1/2 T ground cumin
1 T ground coriander
1/4 t ground cinnamon
1/2 t paprika
1 bay leaf
1 large onion, chopped
1 SWEET red pepper, seeded and chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 lemon, jested and juiced
2 T Worchesterchire sauce, eyeball it
1 (14-ounce) can tomoto sauce

Heat skillet with EVOO and add meat and brown.  Season the meat with salt and pepper to taste, chili powder, cumin, coriander, cinnamon and paprika.  Add the bay leaf, onions, red pepper, and garlic to the pan.  Coo****il onions are soft, 8 minutes.  Add lemon juice and zest, Worchestershire sauce and tomato sauce.  Stir and reduce heat to simmer.

Serve  & ENJOY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Italian Meat Loaf

preheat oven to 350 degrees

1 1/2 # ground beef                      1/2 t oregano
3/4 c cracker crumbs                    3/4 c tomato sauce
1/2 c chopped onion                      1/8 t pepper
1 t salt                                         2 c shredded Mozzarella cheese
1 egg

Combine all ingredients except cheese.  Pat mixture on wax paper and form 10 x 12 inch rectangle.  Sprinkle with cheese and roll up, starting with short end.  Press ends and seams to enclose cheese.  Bake in casserole dish or on a cookie sheet at 350 degrees for 1  hour.

Loving life and God is AWESOME !!!!!

ImArustyRose
on 12/27/08 4:41 am - TX
EVOO?   Whaz EVOO?   

ARustyRose

MelissaJane
on 12/27/08 9:55 pm - near Boston, MA
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Melissa 
 HW~332   SW~306  CW~160    
DS August 2008 
had_enuf
on 12/27/08 4:55 am - East Bay, CA
 So I know EVOO is extra virgin olive oil, but I am curious about the red pepper...is this a bell pepper or a hot pepper? If a hot pepper, do you think I could substitute either red pepper flakes or some hot sauce/tobasco? And is this really made bean-free?
It sounds yummy, and I love moroccan. Have you ever tried ground lamb instead or as well as the beef?
Thanks,
       Judy                   HW359/Consult288/SW275          

SkinnyOne
on 12/27/08 6:51 am - Converse, TX
The origional recipe calls for ground lamb which is one of those "to each is own" things.  I like it.. just dont know if others would.

The red pepper I should have clarified more as a SWEET red pepper...sorry bout that !!! LOL

yep it's made bean free..and is so yummy that you'll be hooked and make it time and time again.  We couldnt get enough of it and i'd double the batch made and eat it myself it's that oh so delicious !!!!!!!

HTH

Loving life and God is AWESOME !!!!!

had_enuf
on 12/27/08 7:44 am - East Bay, CA
Thanks for the clarification. Try using greek or other plain yogurt as a cold condiment to this and other Middle-Eastern dishes...
(salivating on keyboard) :) 

Judy                   HW359/Consult288/SW275          

MelissaJane
on 12/28/08 4:44 am - near Boston, MA

Oh, I can't wait to make this!  Definitely want to try it with lamb.  Sounds SO good.

Melissa 
 HW~332   SW~306  CW~160    
DS August 2008 
freckled1
on 12/27/08 3:31 am
Great thread Lori!  I am all about cheap eats!  I don't have any particular recipe right now but I wanted to suggest chicken leg quarters as a very cheap source of protein.  I just bought two ten pound bags at $6.23 each.  I get these and then I cook them until the meat falls off the bones.  I wait until it's cool enough to handle and take all the meat off and divide it up into meal sized bags for the freezer.  I make all kinds of stuff with this.  For example:  chicken tacos, chicken salad, chicken pot pie, chicken and dumplings, chicken enchiladas, etc...  I have a family of four, five if my step son is with us.  I can feed all of us (husband, me, dd9, ds12, and dss12) for around $5 per dinner.  Seriously.  And my boys can eat!

chickflickstyle
on 12/27/08 5:28 am - IN
these ideas are soooo yummy looking!!! 
thenecklacelady
on 12/27/08 11:42 am

This is a great topic and I"m going to make some of the recipes!

Easy Chili Soup

Brown a pound to a pound and a half of hamburger with
one chopped up onion until
onions are tender and meat is brown

Add:

chili powder to taste
2 cans kidney beans, red beans or mixture of both
2 cans tomato soup

Simmer:  30 minutes until all the flavors are blended together
Ready to eat, but even better on day 2!

Recent Topics