Holey Moley.... Protein Ice Cream is da BOMB!!

moore972003
on 7/15/08 9:32 am - IN

Let me know if I'm right in thinking this is a good recipe for a new post op!

Mandy                                     ***See my blog for appeal info***

yorkieGal
on 7/15/08 9:17 am - Clermont, FL
Ok, so that is what I am going to do on saturday afternoon!! going to walmart tomorrow when i have taken Mom to the airport. I will get my upplies and see how it comes out. Going to try one of the protein shakes I have in the pantry, and see. I'll let you know how i get on. Do you think someone should warm walmart that it is going to be experiencing a countrywide increase in ice cream maker sales!! lol

yorkiegal

Had a band in 2005 at 280lbs, had band removed and DS done on Jan 22nd 08 at 220lbs in Spain, now 135lbs and a size 4!! Happy as a Clam!!Dontcha love the DS? It's the best tool around!!                

moore972003
on 7/15/08 9:43 am - IN
Let us know what flavor you made.  Maybe we should post our recipes on the DS recipe forum, huh?

Look out Wallie World!

Crazeru
on 7/15/08 9:19 am
I've done a little searching and Wal-Mart has cheaper than Target -
automati**** cream maker in several colors w/candy crusher on top.  This is an electric model and is $39.99.  Not sure if all the Wal-Marts will have all the colors.  Target's was $49.99.  The crank one that eggface shows - is on ebay...  Most have to be in the freezer overnight then you can make it up.  There are other little balls (several colors), that you add ice and rock salt to, toss, roll around but it's not very large.  Most were 1.5 qts. 
I'm off to the Super Wal-Mart to get an automatic one - should take back my magic bullet that isn't even out of the box!  Get some 1/2 & 1/2 - have plenty of protein shakes to choose from.  I think I'd do the Andes mints not the sf ones... Malitol and I just don't get along at all.  Now, I'll have to clean out a shelf in my freezer enough to get put the ice cream contain in.  Means cooking up some protein in the next few days.
automatic raspberry
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=9222959  $39.99

doniver hand crank at ebay:
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_npmv=3&_trksid=m38&_nkw=don vier%20ice%20cream%20maker&_nd1=See-All-Categories

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

Crazeru
on 7/15/08 9:22 am
Someone mentioned Mint choc chip - I'm helping!!!

http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2008/07/mint-chocolate-chip.html

Shelly's Mint Chocolate Chip Protein Ice Cream

1 cup Vanilla Soy Milk (or Regular Milk)
2 scoops Vanilla Protein Powder
1/8 teaspoon Peppermint Extract (careful a little goes a long way)
optional: 1/8 teaspoon Green Food Coloring
2 - 3 Sugar Free Andes or Peppermint Patties, chopped (30 cals a piece)

Mix together milk, protein, extract and optional food coloring. I used this gadget to mix it up. It makes it airy and lump free. Pour into ice cream maker. Follow your machine's instructions for freezing. 5 minutes before done add the chopped SF Andes. You can eat it right away it is soft serve-ish but I like to put it in the freezer to set for an hour or so. You can make this without the green food coloring but I grew up on the fake green one and green is my favorite color.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

moore972003
on 7/15/08 9:40 am - IN
Yep, this is the recipe I was refering to.  Except as a DSer, I'm using heavy whipping cream.  At the very least, half and half. 

And about the ice cream makers... they are on clearance now since its going on the end of summer.  Mine wasn't anything fancy, but it holds 4 quarts, and its electric, and for $5 more I could have gotten a 6 quart.  It was done in less than a half hour, and thats pretty good, I think.  So you may end up spending less than you think!

Crazeru
on 7/15/08 10:57 am
I don't have a lot of room in my freezer - have a side by side.  One of the little 1.5qt or even 1qt would probably be big enough - it's just me anyway.  The furbabies may get to lick the bowl...but I don't share my protein much anymore.  They are feeling really deprived.  I tell 'em, mommy needs this and I'm counting the ounces, so you 3 are just out of luck.   They do get the veggies that come from dinners out if my daughter doesn't take them home.  I'm hoping the heavy whipping cream - is better than the milk for me.  Expensive ice cream generally doesn't bother me... soft serve just doesn't work. 

Chris
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

Samaro ..
on 7/15/08 11:22 am

Chris, I bought the $15.00 one from wal-mart this afternoon.  I didn't see it listed on their website but they've had it on their shelves for the summer season.  It's currently on clearance.  It's made by Rival and is quite sufficient in its simplicity.  You won't need to place it in your freezer at all so space won't be an issue with this one.  Even though it is capable of making 4 quarts you can make less without any problem.  That's what I did today and once the ice cream was done churning I scooped it out of the canister and into a plastic container for hardening and storage.  Since I only made about 4 cups of ice cream it isn't taking up very much space at all.

You may be surprised to find that you'll be way ahead of the ice cream making game, once you see what they have on hand.

Crazeru
on 7/15/08 4:13 pm
Hey Sandy,
I bought the $14 one... will try it out.  Also got 1/2 & 1/2 and heavy whipping cream.  I'll be ready to try it out tomorrow.  I did pick up two sacks of rock salt!  I think I'm ready, just have to get other supplies.  My daughter was making me rush! 
All they had was the 4qt and 6qt Rivals.
Chris
LauraP705
on 7/15/08 12:19 pm - Muscle Shoals, AL
Well, crap!  I just went to Wal-Mart!  Guess I'll have to go back, but hey, it's only about a mile down the road!  This sure is bringing out the cravings!