Should EVERYONE have the DS?

AttyDallas
on 2/17/08 6:58 am - Garland, TX
On the subject of "smarts", I've noticed the DSers tend to be the more "brainy" types, it seems  ..  But I figured that was just b/c we were smart enough to realize that we are better off with the DS than RNY!     &:-D)
attydallas_dblcentury.jpg picture by cmirving 

obmik
on 2/17/08 8:56 am, edited 2/17/08 8:57 am - Realityville, Not SunshineLand, TN
 The DS patient pool hasn't been diluted with enough stupid like the RNY and Lap bands have...just wait. The downside with educating the masses is that y'all can't edit out the stupid and keep the smart. If we're going to be totally honest, if the DS is portrayed as a weight loss plan where you can eat full fat, cookies, fried chicken and mayo all day long, the number of less-than-intelligent people who sign up is bound to increase. If it sounds easy, people will chose to do it. Nevermind that most DSers can't gorge 24/7 and mainline sugar--it's the image that is presented and for someone who is desperate to lose weight, but not willing to change her eating habits, that's going to sound like the perfect solution.  So, get ready. Stupid is coming and you'll get to see what we brainy RNYers have to put up with.
Kim
302/153/145  Down 149 pounds
Lap RNY: 9/28/06

(deactivated member)
on 2/17/08 9:16 am - San Jose, CA
You know, you're VERY on point with this post.  We are going to be victims of our own success as the DS becomes better known, but it isn't for us to target only the ones we deem to be smart enough.  (Although I will admit that I won't work very hard to convince someone like Clare.)  And those stupid people are going to ruin the DS statistics if they don't adhere to even the minimal requirements. You know, people are going to hear only what they want to hear, no matter what we say.  And I think the vast majority of people, myself included are surprised by how their intial post-op experience goes, in part because we can't or won't visualize accurately, can't or don't want to internalize the possibility of complications ("it won't happen to me"), and just the simple fact that everyone has a somewhat different experience, including how they experience pain, lack of or too much hunger, etc.  It's somewhat of a crapshoot anyway.  I think one of the most important factors in post-WLS success or at least happiness is having a support system, like OH, where you can get feedback of whether what you are experiencing is "normal" and if you are having troubles, some suggestions from those further out how to deal with them.
obmik
on 2/17/08 10:14 am - Realityville, Not SunshineLand, TN

You are absolutely correct.  Five years ago, when I **should** have started the WLS process, I was ignorant and uninformed, etc. I only heard the negatives because I was still of the mindset that I would able to do something to turn around the fat. It didn't happen and I finally opened up to the idea that the surgery would actually be a good thing for me.  I was very guilty of "it won't happen to me" and I've been very fortunate to be complication-free thus far. I realize now that it's something that I have to work on to make happen.  And yeah, stupid is really going to dilute the DS results, but you can't protect people from themselves, no matter how much you try. I see people who have had or are going to have RNY and I just want to scream...."NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" because I know they are going to be terrible examples of post-ops and will do more damage to the public's opinion of those who have WLS of any kinds. Without my support systems, I can't imagine what my outcome would have been--I'm sure not nearly as positive.

Kim
302/153/145  Down 149 pounds
Lap RNY: 9/28/06

Julie R.
on 2/17/08 10:06 am - Ludington, MI
I agree, and stupid people are only going to hear what they want to hear.   I feel the surgeon has a great deal of responsibility in screening a patient for knowledge and compliance.    For every one of us who are on this site, educating themselves and learning about our respective procedures, just think of the hundreds who are out there having the surgery without all of his added information?  I know of two RNY'ers in particular, both educated people, who are grossly unaware of how important their long-term nutritional compliance is.    Even though I am currently one of the "lucky ones" who can consume a great deal and still struggle to keep weight on, research on this site and communicating with other DS'ers has taught me that this magic might not always last, and that I may very well have to reign in my eating at some point or another.    Right now, I eat because I have to eat.   If all someone hears is "Yup - you get to eat cookies all day,"  and isn't a part of this or some other type of educational/support system, I sure hope the doctor/nutritionist is there to pound it into their heads that this isn't the case.    P.S.  I do NOT eat cookies all day!    I sure have eaten a lot of chicken though.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

CookieQueen
on 2/17/08 7:11 am - Austin, TX
I think this person you spoke has an exxaggerated view about the cost of vitamins.  I have a sixty day supply of ADEK multi-vitamins, Vitamin D (50,000 IU tablets) 100 of them and 500mg Calcium Citrate (200 day supply) and the cost is total $77 including  $12 shipping.  Multiply that by 4 or 5 - it isn't $1000. Maybe she just isn't good at math.
(deactivated member)
on 2/17/08 7:27 am
It's true that most people don't have to spend more than $400-500, but some do. Aren't you taking B complex, zinc, and iron? I'm one of the unlucky ones.
Blackthorne
on 2/17/08 7:15 am - Alpharetta, GA
Definitely not. If you read my post from last night (Will I Commit Murder Between Now & Monday), you'll see that I talked about this regarding my friend who is in town.

She neglects her current health issues, which are serious (including COPD which will lead to emphesema). There's no way she could have a DS and survive it. It wouldn't save her life the way it has mine - instead it would hasten her decline simply because she wouldn't take the instructions seriously.

--BT
     Six years postop.       All co-morbidities are resolved.  Lost 101lbs in 1st year.   High wt: 277 Surgery wt:  260.7  Currently:  143lbs.    I'm Blackthorne99 on MyFitnessPal.

Click here to read my blog: Unicorns & Stranger Things
Rosalind G.
on 2/17/08 8:18 am - La Cañada Flintridge, CA
Well, looks like I just can't shut up on this thread. In graduate school I had to plan a month's worth of meals for 3 income levels of families.  Each had to supply the FDA MDR.  It IS possible to daily feed a family of 4 on the poverty level a nutritious, and high protein, meal.  Give me a budgetary example, and I'll do the research next week and show you how it can be done, as well as provide 100-120 gr/pro/day.  The only hitch is, if people eat more than the recommended portion size, they could well double the cost of their food.  AND most of us didn't get fat eating controlled portions. The cost of supplements question could be asked on other boards, but only of people *****gularly have their blood work done.  Anyone else's answer would, it seems to me, be speculative. 

All is well in the garden, Roz
DS lap--8/4/04--Dr John Rabkin, San Francisco (246/118)
4/6/06--Lower body lift with muscle repair, Dr J. C.Fuentes, MX
7/31/06--Facelift; TCA peel (lower eyes); canthopexy,Dr . Binder (love him), BH, CA
2/7/07--Breast Aug/Lift--Dr  Bresnick, Encino, CA
Better living through the scalpel

BuckeyeSylvia
on 2/17/08 9:14 am - Small Town, OH
That's so very cool of you Roz!!!

HW/SW/CW/GW    231/225/123/130-125
~Surgeon's Goal of Normal BMI reached at 6 months Post Op~
~Personal Goal Range achieved at less than 10 months Post Op~

Recent Topics