Should EVERYONE have the DS?

Rosalind G.
on 2/18/08 12:30 am - La Cañada Flintridge, CA
Yep, and I ate mac with nothing other than margerine, salt and pepper, but neither cheerios, nor mac, offers very much in the protein ball game. 

All is well in the garden, Roz
DS lap--8/4/04--Dr John Rabkin, San Francisco (246/118)
4/6/06--Lower body lift with muscle repair, Dr J. C.Fuentes, MX
7/31/06--Facelift; TCA peel (lower eyes); canthopexy,Dr . Binder (love him), BH, CA
2/7/07--Breast Aug/Lift--Dr  Bresnick, Encino, CA
Better living through the scalpel

Samaro ..
on 2/17/08 12:36 am
I wholeheartedly agree with your friend.  I would add this to the list of people who should NOT have the DS: Those who think that the medical profession is the final authority on what is right for us.  Just because the doctor is a doctor, that doesn't mean s/he has had the time/desire/reason to learn the fine nuances of ALL things medical.  Most doctors know a little bit about a lot of stuff rather than a lot about a few things.  We MUST learn about our new anatomy and the significant way we've changed it and then become our own advocates for our health....for the rest of our lives.  We can't just go along with what a doctor says simply because s/he is a doctor. Those who think an internet forum is sufficient for gathering information about any WLS.  It's a good start but it should only be used as a jumping off point.

(deactivated member)
on 2/17/08 4:58 am
Excellent point. I'm going to send her a printout of this conversation.
Lori Black
on 2/17/08 12:52 am - , IN
I absolutely agree with your friend that the DS is not for everyone. That is why I try to tell people all of the time to make the best decision for their life after reading as much as possible about each surgery.  I *DO* for the record think the DS is an amazing surgery that all people should at least consider, but I'm biased for a reason of course!  The dedication to learn as much as you can about your body is a responsibility that comes along with the DS.  Learning the different ways we absorb vitamins is huge.  I am the compulsive personality type that your friend spoke of.  I have two pill containers with one week's worth of supplements, each container has compartments to take pills five times a day.  Twice a month I sit with my tupperware container full of vitamins and dole out each and every day's worth of vitamins into my vitamin dispensers.  I take vitamins at breakfast, lunch, dinner, bedtime and my iron and C are taken at 3 am to not interfere with absorbtion.  So, five times a day....and now it's just habit.  I eat, I take pills.  I go to bed, I take pills.  I pee at 3 am I take pills.  I don't know if everyone is cut out for that or not.  I know that I am because I realize it's the difference between good health and bad health issues.  I've got a LOT of life left having had my surgery at 32 years old, and my kids deserve to have a healthy Mommy for the first time in their little lives.  As for adding to the list of people who shouldn't have the DS, I think we should add those who don't understand the in's and out's of the DS before their surgery.  You have to prepare for the worst, and hope for the best.  Just because it works one way for your neighbor, your sister, a friend or someone on OH, this does NOT indicate how the DS will work for you!  We all have unique journey's and this has to be completely understood.  I also think that people that don't keep up to date with the most recent studies and knowledge about their surgery should not have the DS.  Staying informed through the years is a must.  You don't just get the surgery, lose the weight, and go on with life like you never had surgery.  You have to be diligent about knowing everything there is to know...even years out from your surgery. From the financial standpoint, I have often thought about the additional cost of the supplements and protein necessary to live life after the DS.  I'm sure some may not take as many as I do, I probably go a bit overboard, but the money for the vits are still a serious concern.  Also, the part about having to be able to afford the protein supplements and meats could be a concern if you didn't have enough money to put macaroni on the table.  I still think it could be manageable, but then I've never been in that position to have to worry where the food was going to come from. I'm just rambling on and on here, but these are some of my thoughts.  When I go to other boards to educate people on the DS, I'm not shouting, "HEY!  This is THE only surgery and everyone should get this and NO OTHER SURGERY!"  I'm saying, research your options and see if this is the kind of post op life you would like to have.  The DS has completely rocked my world and I'm so glad that I stumbled upon it while doing my own WLS research.  I will forever sing it's praises, but I definitely DO NOT think this is the right surgery for everyone! 
(deactivated member)
on 2/17/08 4:59 am
I agree with you totally. We educate each other here, but what about someone who doesn't have a computer or who is isolated from the resources we have?
Ms. Cal Culator
on 2/17/08 1:03 am, edited 2/17/08 1:11 am - Tuvalu
Yup...a good candidate will be financially stable (not RICH, but stable) assertive, intelligent (as in capable of at least minimal understanding of the conclusion on the pubmed abstracts), compulsive (and neurotic enough to think that they--for sure--cannot afford to skip any of the supplements or the sky will fall) people who will advocate for themselves no matter HOW many letters the person on the other side of the argument has after his/her name. Here's another way to look at it:  Let's say something you don't like is going on at your kid's school.  You talked to the teacher.  You spoke to the principal.  They aren't changing things.  If you think you are now out of options, you are NOT a good candidate for the DS! Sue
LeaAnn
on 2/17/08 1:24 am - Huntsville, AL
I agree with your friend.  Some people should not have a DS.  I think that many surgeons have a good plan.  Unless someone comes to them DEMANDING a DS from having OBVIOUSLY done extensive research about it, then they don't need it.  When we're looking for converts on the other forums, we're looking for the cream that might otherwise not hear of the DS.  The cream will be able to grasp our message and run with it.

(deactivated member)
on 2/17/08 11:57 am
Anyone who's looking for WLS should know about the DS. It's not up to us to decide who should and shouldn't have it. That's a much tougher job that the surgeons have to take on.  There is no implied criticism of any efforts to educate the population about the most effective, least restrictive WLS around. I applaud anyone who educates the newbies.  I don't think you can deny someone the surgery just because you think they're not going to take care of themselves. I think it calls for some educational program, like diabetes educators, who work with a new WLS patient and show them the ropes and really teach them what they need to do to stay healthy. I get the feeling a lot of people just wing it with a booklet. Which is okay if you're wired into a community like this. But what if you aren't
LeaAnn
on 2/17/08 12:33 pm - Huntsville, AL
If you aren't wired into a community like this, you end up with SEVERE vitamin D deficiency and a PCP giving you oil-based vitamin D supplements and, thus, a deficiency that doesn't respond to treatment.  The DS causing vitamin deficiencies claim of the RNY surgeons is thus made true, and the DS surgeon that performed the surgery on the deficient person is frowned upon as doing a dangerous surgery on this person.  Followup is KEY, and since so many people have to travel to get their DSs, sometimes difficult as well.  It's a huge responsibility for the surgeons performing it.  I don't blame them for not informing people of the DS unless they've researched it and sought it out for themselves.
Recent Topics