Should EVERYONE have the DS?

~~Sami~~ *.
on 2/17/08 12:17 pm - Jacksonville, FL
I'm going to question the vegan issue... because honestly, the vegans I do know are a lot like DSers.. in that they're super aware of nutrition, protein, etc.  The only issue I would see with vegans would be the potential for gas/bloating issues from soy, legumes, etc. Here's a sample vegan diet that gives 73 grams of protein.  I really don't think it would be that hard to up this to 100 grams with some additional snacks. http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.htm#table1 I'm torn about excluding anybody from WLS, because quite honestly, I don't think there's another solution fro those who are MO or Super MO.  I think if a person had potential compliance issues, then one would want to direct them to perhaps a two-staged DS or RNY.  Success with the Sleeve, as well as how they handled the nutritional issues related to is (B12, vitamin D/calcium, iron)... could predict success with a full RNY or DS.

Lap-Band June 14, 2001. Dr. Rumbaut, Monterrey, Mexico.
Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

lula
on 2/18/08 5:17 am - Longhorn Country, TX
VSG on 01/31/07 with
I would like to tell you that the ones who believe that the DS is not for people without insurance and sufficient money are right on IMHO. I am in that boat and that is exactically why I had the VSG. Someone said earlier that if we can figure out how to have the DS we should be able to figure out how to afford all that goes with it. My parents paid for my surgery but do not pay my day to day living expenses. My husband and I work hard and we are trying but owning a small business that is directly attatched to the housing market is not the place to be right now. If I had had the DS I would be one who could not afford to go to the Dr for labs and follow up. I would cheap out on needed vits and maybe not be able to afford to take them as needed. I could see myself doing every other time or the likes just for financial reasons. I think for people like me the VSG is the go to surgery. It really is pretty much set it and forget it. I do take vitamins( 2 gummys, 1 calcium and 1 sub lingual B-12 a day). These are very affordable. I eat plenty of protein and agree that it can be done easily on a budget. I only go to the Dr when forced. I just can't afford the visits. My dr gives me free samples of any other regular meds I need. The other big consideration for the VSG is that cir****tances change. I know that one day if I don't lose all the weight I want or start to re gain it's just a matter of money for me to get the 2nd stage and then I have the DS. This is a very interesting thread and thanks for letting me participate. Carla

(deactivated member)
on 2/18/08 9:29 am
Lulu: You made some very well-thought out, intelligent decisions there. I didn't know about the VSG when I had the DS, but it is something I would have definitely considered. Thanks for sharing your viewpoint. Good luck with it (and with your business)! Nancy
Recent Topics