Who benefited from DSers posting on other forums?

(deactivated member)
on 12/29/07 9:06 pm - TX
On December 29, 2007 at 9:45 PM Pacific Time, Amanda G. wrote:
Well, it was Lola's post this morning that got me on here.  I obviously am still researching my options but it's nice to know there is such a wealth of knowledge here at my finger tips.  Right now my main concern is how invasive the DS is vrs lap-band.  anyone have comments or suggestions or even more info to provide?
HI Amanda.  Welcome here.  I'm going to suggest you start a separate thread for this question as it's likely to be overlooked here and I'm sure you'll get a host of answers on that one!
goodkel
on 12/29/07 9:18 pm
Well, the lap band is a less complicated procedure, but it leaves a foreign object inside your body--which I consider highly invasive. For the risk, maintenance, and strict diet it requires measured against percentage of excess weight lost and long term success it's not worth it. Thankfully, if it wasn't for Sue (Ms. Cal Culator) posting on a lap band board, I likely would never have known about the DS. Big Kisses to Sue!
Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

Mis94
on 12/29/07 10:10 pm - PA
Hi  Amanda.  I'm a lapband to DS conversion and regret getting the band.  As my surgeon put it, the band is as "invasive" as any other surgery...they're cutting you open and literally sewing a piece of plastic around your stomach, which will form scar tissue to "hold" it in.  I went through 1.5 years of fills and unfills (which take A LOT of time from your life/work/etc sitting in a doc's office) only to find that the band worsened my reflux and caused esophageal spasms.  All for a surgery that has something like an average of 30-50% EWL stats.  (I was sure I'd be the one that would be 100%...not!) Feel free to PM me if there is any info I can provide.  The band works for some, but the odds are against it being remotely close to the DS stats.
Missy - Got my DS 11/06/07 and got RID of the  band!  Thanks Dr. P!!!
(deactivated member)
on 12/30/07 1:06 am
Hi Amanda Nice to see you made it over to the DS board!  Information is power -- no matter what surgery you choose, you will be more successful if you know EVERYTHING you can about it. One of the major turn-offs for me with the lap band is the 50% excess weight loss that they 'promise'.  It wasn't enough for me -- I wanted the best possible chance to lose ALL my excess weight. Surgical complications are about the same -- no matter which surgery you have.  Although the surgery itself is more complicated for the surgeon, the lifestyle is so much better/easier for the patient.   Welcome!  Post any questions you have -- we LOVE to help!
JJ W.
on 12/29/07 1:48 pm, edited 12/29/07 1:50 pm - The Bay Area, CA

For me it was some posts made by Rockne on the CA board that got me to creep over to the DS board. Once I got here it was LeaAnn, Babycatcher, Val, and Scott that knocked that "Blah, Blah, Blah Gold Standard" CRAP right out of my head! Thank to you all! Don't ever stop Paying it Forward! Janell 

Duodenal Switch WLS- CLICK HERE for more info.

KRWaters
on 12/29/07 5:19 pm - Manteca, CA
Aw shucks Janell, what about me bla, bla, bla-ing, on the Cali board and some people stoned me, well it felt like it at times.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

leopardgirl
on 12/29/07 1:58 pm - Oreland, PA
Diana, If it weren't for you messaging me and telling me to try to get approved for surgery, any type of surgery, I wouldn't have continued my search.  One push in the right direction has changed my life, and I can't thank you and everyone else here at the DS forum who helped me with my quest. Paying it forward is the ultimate way of showing how much we love our surgery.  If we're that passionate to want others to share in the fruits of this amazing tool and surgery, why the hell shouldn't we scream it from the roof tops??!!  I'm so happy that I got a gentle push, and continued on my way to being a healthier person. If I haven't said it before, Thanks to everyone here, because only YOU know what I'm going through, and are willing to support and educate those of us who needed it when we're first starting out.  This is the ultimate resource, and I'm so glad it exists. Kudos to all of the DSers who pay it forward, and kudos to the pre-ops who will one day do the same exact thing - it's just a matter of time!

Lisa                 "Well-behaved women rarely make history...."
HW 341/SW 324/CW 159/GW 159   182 pounds gone!  GOAL!!

Natasha R.
on 12/29/07 2:08 pm
Diana et al: I started on the main forum and kept noticing post that stuck out with profiles that fit what I was looking for in WLS. I was not really interested in the RNY...though I admittedly thought that the RNY and the lapband were the only options.  The DS'r posts made me perk up to the DS option. I followed them to this board and found the answers I needed. After more research, I am moving forward with the DS. I have my first meeting...ie the group intro class introduced by the surgeons office.  Based on other peoples experience. The RNY and Lap will be discussed extensively. The DS will be touched on slightly. I am glad I know about the DS before the intro class. Thank you for all the information shared freely on OH Support Forums.  The information is priceless, now everything else is Mastercard.  (or so the billing goes for Aetna LOL)
IPlayPiano
on 12/29/07 2:15 pm - Ventura County, CA
OK Diana, Yes, I'm one too. Yippee! And may I say, welcome back. I found Amanda S. on the Main Board, thank G-d, back in August of 2004 when I began to research weight loss surgery. A very happy Fern, who had the DS on November 9, 2004...
Redhaired
on 12/29/07 2:16 pm - Mouseville, FL
I am certainly among those that read about the DS on the main forum.  I had been seeing posts by Ms Batt and then there was a long exchange between you (Diana) and someone whose name begins with a D and ends in, I think, I.  In that post you said if anyone wanted more information to send you a message -- I did and you responded right away and that was that.  I think that was in the fall of 2004. Red