Who benefited from DSers posting on other forums?

LeaAnn
on 7/15/09 2:17 am, edited 7/15/09 3:17 am - Huntsville, AL
Dawn G.
on 8/7/09 7:03 am, edited 8/7/09 7:03 am - Fort Edward, NY
Yes, it was directly due to you guys paying it forward that I switched over from an RNY when I was just about to get my surgery date, over to the DS.  I had to switch surgeons, will be travelling 2 hours each way for visits, etc, when the other surgeon was close by, and I had to switch from a major trauma center to a small community type hospital-but I have taken the plunge. 

And I am so happy I did.

Thanks so much Diana (it was your posts that got my attention)-and thank you to all other DS'ers for shouting all the DS benefits from the rooftops.  If it weren't for you, I would have been looking for a revision in the future-I really believe that.

HW-390.6
SW-326
CW-103
GW-140

WLS is a very big decision.  Please EDUCATE YOURSELF before choosing how you wish to spend the rest of your life! 

(deactivated member)
on 10/26/09 5:48 am
I never heard of OH, let alone DS as an option for wls. All my doctor talked to me about was RNY. When I went to see my Nut is when I learned about online support through OH; I signed up and began reading the RNY board. It was there I first saw a post from Diana Cox, a DS'er who was discussing in a thread the benefits of DS vs other wls. I was instantly interested in DS and thought the least I could do is look into it....and the rest is history.  I've been approved for DS and am in the process of scheduling my surgery.

So yep, you can say posting about DS on another forum has definitely changed my point of view as to which wls I can live with. I did my own research and found what Diana had said was absolutely truthful and in no way was it biased.  It was fact. And for that I am always going to be grateful to Diana and other DS vets who put themselves out there to help pre-ops like me.
traciejo1972
on 10/27/09 2:12 pm
I absolutely owe finding out about the wonderful DS to a surgery war on the main board.

I was all set to ahve an RNY (cause I thought it and lap band were my only choices) and I ran upon a surgery war which in turn led me to more research andit was a NO BRAINER !  If you can be proactive about your health, get in your protein and vites then you should do well with this surgery. 

THANK YOU DIANA and all the DSERS that participate in the surgery wars!  Thanks for paying it forward!

Getting excited about my future!  God is AWESOME!

HW/SW/CW/GW     updated 3/29/11
369/341/194/175

schnookielumps
on 10/27/09 2:29 pm - Canada

I knew I needed wls.... My sister in law had RNY and has only lost 70 pounds (all lost in 5 months!) but has been struggling for the last 5 months (she only eats 600 cals a day,  She freaks ...eekkkk I eat a chip (one chip!!!) She can't be in the kitchen because she tends to eat!!!  Her life is truely messed up and she is struggling ....  It pains me.  She was the one who told us(hubby and me) about DS... DS was her first choice but her doctor wouldn't go for it he pushed her to RNY.

Another person RNY --- she lost 80% of her weight in the 18 months --- Saw her last week.  She has gained at least 80 pounds back.  It is so sad. 

I chose DS because I didn't want to end up like them.  DS has made me feel semi-normal (I'm only 5 1/2 months out)  I'm living life with not being DEPRIVED in any way.  Yes, I have changed my eating .... (less carbs)

Our health system has stopped paying for DS in Ontario -- So people are getting RNY out of desperation and not fighting for DS.

I'm happy with DS.  Get informed before you get any wls. 

cutegirlshawn
on 10/27/09 9:58 pm - Albany, GA
I too started out looking into RNY because I knew nothing about the DS.  I'm not even sure how I found out about OH but I am so grateful that its here.  If not I would probably be getting a RNY next month and not the DS.  I've learned so much over the past couple of months and its thanks to many of my friends on here that hasve answered my questions and helped me with my concerns.  You guys are great and no matter what anyone says I wouldn't have been able to make it this far without you advice and your support.  I have met some really nice people here and even a really close friend now. 

I think the DS is great and it may not be for everyone but it is definitely for me.  Like I said I started out on the RNY forum but this is where my heart lies and next month I will be a DS'er for life.  Thanks to all the pros!!!
(deactivated member)
on 10/28/09 12:15 am - Yorktown, VA
Me!  I found out about the DS while lurking around some of the main forums and I am so glad that I did! 
Emilie J.
on 10/28/09 12:46 am
I may have already posted a reply a couple months ago, but don't want to sift through 10 pages. I came THIS close to having the RNY, and there were a few DS'rs who would come on the RNY board and mention things like cheese, less chance of regain, cheese, intact stomach, cheese etc....and I wandered my way over here.

I feel like such a silly buttface for actually being all a dither about switching surgeons, having to travel, having to wait longer, when my insurance covered the damn DS( what a lucky buttface I was, when there are so many fighting for their surgery). I am so grateful for those DS'rs who told me what a buttface I was being, and gave me the ole "think twice, cut once" saying or however it goes.

I'm actually pissed at my previous surgeon, what an asswipe, he wouldn't even tell me whether he recommended the lap band or RNY for me he said " I don't do that, it is your choice". My BMI was freakin 57. something or other for Gods sake.

I can't put into words how grateful I am that I decided to do the DS. Once I really made the decision, I felt this huge weight lift off my shoulders. I was dreading the RNY. Dreading it. My surgeon and his team really downplayed the side effects and cons, and I came here and was overwhelmed, people were calorie counting (I do NOT diet), people were puking, dumping, getting food stuck. The guidelines are to not drink with your meals. What the eff. That is not normal.

I am such an impatient person, and I am just so thankful for all the support and encouragement I got in the beginning, as well as now. Truly. I know I can be a PITA. I am really, really trying though, and I really, really think I will be able to do this (I just keep telling myself that over and over, it has to happen right?)

Now I am going back to work after my long rambly post.

Emilie, mom, wife, Nurse........superhero
It's about the Wow's!   
Nopenname
on 10/28/09 1:30 am, edited 10/28/09 1:33 am - Tacoma, WA
I was raring to go to have RNY after the seminar. Until two things happened 1. I met a few of the WA DSers on the boards here (Mdae, Dapme, and Kathy H.) and 2. a surgery war on the main board and a post by Elizabeth N. And I remember Elizabeth's post very well, where she said in her opinion doctors should not even DO the RNY any longer and that it's barbaric. I was like huh...really what? And then I went and started learning and made my frist ever clueless post regarding vitamins for the DS vs. RNY over on the DS board and it was on after that.

HW/ SW/ CW/ GW

453/380/160/165

I'm pretty sure bacon tastes as good as thin feels!
*Feel free to call me "Pen" or "Nic" I'll even answer to "hey you" *

Tassia
on 10/28/09 1:37 am
 Me!  (whose at work and will get fired if I post more than this)
*   Take 1 DS, add a little p90x and stir :)
5' 3"  HW 293/SW 253/Goal 130/CW 128