Who benefited from DSers posting on other forums?

prancing_nougat
on 11/9/08 1:07 pm - Saint John, Canada
I haven't benefitted from DS yet, but I hope too early next year!

I just wanted to thank Bearmom for informing that DS even existed as I didn't know about the procedure until she told me. I was looking to have surgery in India because until September, we only had 1 WLS surgeon in my province, and he had a 5 year waiting list. Bearmom was nice enough to take the time to let me know about her surgery, plus let me know about DS. Fastforward to September when my province when my province got another WLS surgeon who does the DS procedure. WOOHOOOO!!

Thanks for all of the info everyone. It's good to read your stories, and to find out what's in store for me.
lauralisi
on 1/5/09 12:04 pm - Dona Ana, NM
I found out about the DS when I went to the " Failed WLS" board at the "old" OH.  I had the RNY back in 1999 and have regained 50%.  I wish I would have known about the DS.  I *should* have known about it, but didn't do my homework.  I will now be a self pay DS.
Thank you, thank you, thank you, to the DSers who have taken the time to *pay it forward* by educating me, answering my questions, disseminating info, etc. 
If I would have met a passionate DSer *before* my RNY,I truly believe I would not be in my present situation.
stormy D.
on 3/24/09 1:45 am - spring hill, FL
Thank goodness for surgery wars. I mean that. I was approved with a date scheduled for RNY.  I was very confident that I had researched thoroughly. I don't know how it was that I had never even heard of the DS. Maybe because the RNY is the mainstream, and touted as the "gold standard" I had my blinders on. There was a very ugly, albeit entertaining, surgery war on the RNY board. That's how I was exposed to the DS. I googled DS that night. I got more and more anxious, excited, and sad really. I had worked so hard for so long to get the approval for my RNY. I was excited and happy about it. Then came the absolute opposite feeling. My heart was steadily sinking as I read more and more and realized I had chosen the wrong surgery for me. I have since canceled my RNY, flown to TX to meet my surgeon, applied for and been denied for DS based on my BMI of 40, and submitted an appeal. I believe that the DS is the surgery for me. I am fighting, and will continue to fight, for it. My life has been permanently altered because of a surgery war. Thank you so much to that ignorant woman for dissing the DS on the RNY board.

Yesterday is history,Tomorrow is a mystery, Today is a gift
That is why it is called the present.

TerryR
on 3/25/09 12:13 am, edited 3/26/09 9:57 pm - High Desert, CA
Hello, Diana, I'm going to resurrect this thread!  First, I want to thank LeaAnn, You, and Larra for ALL of your help.  Here's my story:  I went through the Optifast Program three times and re-gained three times.  One of my doctors suggested RNY so I went with it and entered the Options Program at Kaiser So. Cal.  I came to OH to find out more about WLS.  I ended up posting on the Main, California, and VSG boards, and then I finally posted on the DS board.  At first, I was all gung ho for the RNY until I met with some very nice people from the California board.  A group of us met for lunch and did a lot of visiting.  Well, during lunch, one of the ladies there had a dumping episode and had to excuse herself from the table to go to the bathroom.  I don't know what happened in that bathroom, I just knew I didn't want it to happen to me.  So, after doing a lot more research, I finally ended up on the DS board where I was warmly welcomed.  It was on the DS board where LeaAnn responded to one of my first posts and told me she knew of someone who was familiar with getting the DS through Kaiser.  Then I got an email from you and Larra.  Both you and Larra have been along side me this whole time helping me file grievances with Kaiser and then helping with my appeal to the DMHC.  I would not be where I am today without both yours and Larra's help.  As you know, so far I've only had the VSG and am in the process of fighting for the 2nd part DS.  And again, you and Larra are helping me along the way.  So, even though I didn't come to the DS board from a thread on another board, once I got to the DS board I got help immediately! 

I wanted to resurrect this thread to give credit where credit is due, and to thank you, Larra, and LeaAnn for helping me through this loonnnnng journey.  I know the three of you are not ones who pray, and I respect that, but I know you are chicken swingers (btw it was on the DS board where chicken swinging was explained to me).  So please keep swinging those chickens!  I believe we'll win the fight this time!

Terry

IMG_10411.jpg picture by Terry_RIMG_1075.jpg picture by Terry_R

hedy67
on 3/25/09 1:31 am - Horsham, PA
Me! Me!
I originally was scheduled for an RNY with another dr. and spent most of my time on the PA board.
Thanks to Lisa (Leopardgirl) I checked out the DS board.
I credit her and Leanne for letting me know about the DS and what it is REALLY like!

Hedy

Angelette to CathyO,
Angel to Levitown_Loser, Tom and Mommyto2gr8kids, Heather!

Gwen M.
on 3/25/09 5:11 am - Valrico, FL
my "superhero" is the wonderful MAJORMOM!!!!

I was approved for my RNY and scheduled to have it in 10 days--she invited me to the lightweight forum and when I got over there, she told me about her experience with the DS--she never was pushy, but very open if I had any questions.

She literally saved me!!! 

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!

Kathy H.
on 3/27/09 1:00 pm - Kent, WA
I am one of the grateful ones who learned about the DS on the revision board. I was researching a VBG to RNY revision, and a veteran DSer posted, "hey, Kathy. Have you looked into the DS?"

and my entire direction shifted. It was as if someone came down sheathed in Jesus Beams and handed me The Answer.

And I'm not even into organized religion.

It wasn't a surgery war, by any means, and had I not been the type of person I am (research till you puke, THEN make a decision, then research some more and only THEN take action), I may not have taken that one seemingly benign comment and ran with it.

I am forever grateful for those who canvas other boards and drop the "DS bug" into the ears of pre-ops.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you considered the Duodenal Switch? Information is power.

Margaret W.
on 6/28/09 8:10 am - TX
Count me in!  I thank the DS board every day, and especially the beautiful Texas ladies from Dr Stewart... Teri, Hayley, Stephanie, Sarah, Holly... I spent hours pouring over their pics & profiles and studying everything I could about the DS.  

The DS is the best surgery for obesity by far.  Sorry - but that's MY opinion!

-VolsDiva-
on 6/28/09 9:43 am - Orange County :), TN

If it wasn't for LeaAnn, DianaCox and Val I wouldn't be a switched sister today. Hats off to these ladies for fighting the good fight.

Ontario_Dee
on 6/28/09 9:52 am - Brooklin, Canada
Hi, Diana:

Count me among the lucky people who heard about the DS here on OH. I've known about RNY for years, but it never appealed to me, even when I weighed 384 lbs.

It wasn't 'til I found this site that I realized there were other options, and that one of those options -- the DS -- was one I felt I could live with for the rest of my life.

I'm heading for surgery with Dr. Hares on July 10 and I'm absolutely certain I wouldn't be taking this life-changing step without the knowledge I've gained here -- and from the people in my local weight-loss support group.

Cheers,

Dee
Denise H: Ovarian cancer survivor & wanna-be DSer.
HW - 384 lbs. / CW - 316 lbs. / GW -140 lbs.
Second consult with Dr. Hares - March 23, 2010 / Met with nurse at TWH - May 4 / Appt with TWH surgeon - July 16 / Hoping for a referral for OOC surgery - TBD

Note: Ticker based on highest weight, not surgery weight.