Who benefited from DSers posting on other forums?

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 5/6/08 2:51 pm
I just received a link to this (now ancient) post after I left a comment on a bonfire of a post that I was grateful to several outspoken DSer's who braved the abuse to get the correct information out. Even if some of us lurk more than post, we are out here. It is always the same people who are in the war, despite having all sorts of personal insults directed at them, and yet they keep paying it forward. I am SOO grateful I stumbled onto OH, and then to one of the DS vs RNY sagas. I was scheduled to get a (paid for) RNY in the US. After learning the the DS existed, I was able to do more research and knew I finally found something that would work for me. I did have to mortgage my home and leave the country to finance it since unlike the RNY, it wouldn't be covered. Smartest thing I've ever done, as I would have been miserable with the RNY or band. There are several of you on the forum who are quite vocal and post frequently who have most certainly saved lives. Since the only motivation for taking on the DS haters would be so that (hmm, thinking hard here) 1.someone would peruse your profile for info or pictures looking for something to insult you in the blog war, or maybe (bingo!) 2.that you actually care enough about a person you have never even met that they get the right information they can make an informed choice that will affect the rest of their life! I am too thin skinned to put up with the DS basher blogs, but wake up in my new DS life every morning and think how grateful I am to you.
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 5/9/08 12:21 pm
Oh, and I think it's very telling that this particular post is getting comments almost 4 1/2 month after it was initially made. There must be so many of us in the woodwork. I used to get so annoyed when I saw the same DS hating people leaving another post (well, maybe person, since many appeared to be troll ID's from one person, but geesh she was an attention *****), and now I think that the DS hater has probably done more to educate WLS prospects by starting these hugely active posts and then sounding like an idiot, while other posters can keep inserting tidbits of knowledge and facts that readers can take away and follow up on.
dogma2karma
on 5/6/08 3:08 pm - Suburbia, CA
Oh, yes, thank you, thank you, thank you...for sticking your necks out there and dropping a little DS hint at just the right time to get me thinking. I actually am here as a result of one of Rockne's posts trying to help a gal get a VSG approved. What a helpful guy! Thanks again - D2K
alwysonadiet
on 5/9/08 6:32 am - MN
Count me in!  I learned about DS through one of the "heated debates" and am so, so glad I did!  I tried to find the thread and give credit to the DSers who persuaded me, but I couldn't find it anymore.  So, I'll just thank you all!!!  Thanks ever so much! 
Steph anie
on 5/14/08 2:15 am - Denton, TX
Count me in on this thread. I was asking questions on the Texas board about WLS when Pretty Dove gave me the link to the DS board. I lurked around the board for awhile watching all the superheroes who PAY IT FORWARD. I started asking a few of my own questions and received a wealth of information that has and will continue to change my life. Thank you guys for caring enough to support each other AND helping the pre-ops become mentally and physically prepared to cross over to the darkside.

HW 318/ SW 308/ CW 116/ GW 125 (updated 11/11/09)

Follow my journey at:  http://savoringmyjourney.wordpress.com/

Get all the facts at www.DSfacts.com.  

Century Club 03/27/09    Onderland 04/15/09 Goal Met: 02/26/10

Mary Elliott
on 5/14/08 4:52 am - MI

I am considering DS and was asked to testify as to why I am considering it. Here is a piece of a recently written PM: Like I told a fellow DSer just yesterday- I did not necessarily learn anything about the DS on the threatening posts (maybe a couple tidbits here and there). However, curiosity was killing this cat to figure out WHY it seemed so perfect, so special, and so miraculous (for lack of a better term) … etc… That’s when I launched my research to higher levels. So, I guess you could say that the rant-sessions did help; they showed me a lot of people with a lot of courage will do whatever it took to get the word out, ‘nomatterwhat’.

6'0"/325/288/168/175
height/high/surgery/current/goal
My WL Journey & My Slice of Life
06/09/08 - RNY
11/05/08 - Gallbladder removed
10/07/09 - Bowel obstruction correction, hernia repair, appedix removed
04/14/10 - Tummy Tuck!!
DD
- 09/07 & DS - 02/10

(deactivated member)
on 5/14/08 7:40 am, edited 5/14/08 10:32 am - MD
Diana, I thought I had already replied to this posting, but I do not see myself here as i refer back to this thread when it was mentioned in today's post by LeaAnn.   I defintiely raise my hand as one who was able to discover information about the DS surgery as a WLS option due to many posts and some PMs I read from You Diana, ValGroce, Ed Mika, Lola, Lori Black, Beam me Up Scottie, alyssak, and Dreamy, to name just a few.  The rant/rave posts turned me off actually due to the mean language some resorted to, but did grab my attention and led to more reading about the DS.  Now I have chosen the DS as my surgery and am very thankful to everyone who put the information out there.  Unfortunately, most WLS programs do not routinely present it as an option in any favorable light and so I never would have considered it for myself if I hadn't learned about it here from you all.  Thanks is really not enough, but thanks.  edited for spelling/typos
LeaAnn
on 5/14/08 7:43 am - Huntsville, AL
ACK!  I'm sorry you had to see that, Jennifer -- on the R&R forum!  I'm hoping not too many newbies stumble into that place!  It's the MOSH PIT!  hahaha!
(deactivated member)
on 5/14/08 7:46 am, edited 5/14/08 7:48 am - MD
LOL!  Actually I was referring to things I had read as a newbie back in november, before I even knew the rants and rave forum started.  But today I did go over there after you tempted me with your post about the treaty rules.  I could not resist taking a peek!  edited for spelling/typo
M. !!!
on 7/6/08 1:00 pm - CA
Bump!!

My Friends Sarah Ezra and Collette Adams are running a marathon for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society's Team in Training. They are raising funds to stop Leukemia, Lymphoma and Hogdkin's Disease. They need your support!!!  Please donate!! any amount!!! Thanks!
http://pages.teamintraining.org/sf/nikesf08/sezra   (Sarah's Page)
http://pages.teamintraining.org/sf/nikesf08/cadamsdv8m (Collettes)

THANK YOU!!! Hugs, Maya