QUESTIONS ON DS REVISION

JROLFSON
on 11/13/07 11:56 pm - St. George, UT
HI THERE: I HAVE A QUESTION FOR THIS FORUM. ARE THEIR ANY OF YOU OUT THERE WHO HAVE HAD A REVISION TO DS? I KNOW THERE IS A FORUM HERE FOR REVISIONS BUT VERY FEW POST ON THAT FORUM I WAS HOPING TO HEAR FROM ANY DS REVISIONS. I'M CURRENTLY SEEKING A DS REVISION FROM RNY AND AM DESPERATELY TRYING TO GET INFORMATION, SUCH AS; HEALING TIME, LENGTH OF SURGERY, WEIGHT LOSS? ANYONE WHO CAN HELP, I WOULD SO MUCH APPRECIATE IT. THANKS, JROLFSON
KRWaters
on 11/14/07 12:13 am - Manteca, CA
There are quite a few RNY to DS revisions here. I am in the processs of seeking a DS revision. Others will respond and be able to tell you more about it. For some, the RnY or the lapband just doesn't work on some people. Keep coming back here and read all about the DS. It sounds like a wonderful opportunity to make your body right.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

Baby Blues
on 11/14/07 12:26 am - Roy, UT
I turned my paperwork in for my revision (had the lapband) to RMAP in Salt Lake.  Just waiting for a date..... I'm not sure about the healing times, I have *heard* that revisions can be a little more trickier then just a straight DS - it supposedly takes a little longer in the OR, healing time is about the same as RNY, and the weight loss is definately better!  But again, just what I heard.... Good luck! Tammy
I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes. I am out of control and at times hard to handle, but if you can't handle me at my worst...then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.     ---Marilyn Monroe
(deactivated member)
on 11/14/07 12:33 am - TX

Hi again.  I believe we've talked on the revision forum.  I am a RNY to DS revision. 

I went to San Francisco with Dr. Husted for it and believe me, going to one of the top guns was one of the smartest things I've ever done.

My incision was totally healed (but for one stray internal stitch that infected and needed to be removed by my PCP) within 2 weeks.  I never napped once after leaving the hospital.  Off all pain meds in one week after leaving hospital.  Lots of natural energy and recovery was a breeze for me but I know I'm unusual.  I was shopping in Chinatown in SF. 

I was able to cook, clean, do laundry, run errands (but I don't have children and my husband was working out of town) from day one of being back home.  (Day 12 after surgery)

My surgery ran around 5.5 hrs I believe, because of adhesion clean up.  Weight loss has been terrific.  105% of EWL by month 13 and to goal of 140 before one year (ok, only 3 days before but still before)  heh heh.  I stayed on track for first time DS'rs with my weight loss, perhaps because it had been so many years since my RNY?  It certainly wasn't because I low carbed it.

No complications whatsoever.  I attitute that to the fact that I had experienced revision surgeons.  I'm sure you know it's the most complex of them all and has the greatest chance for complications.

Good luck to you and let me know if I can help.

JROLFSON
on 11/14/07 7:23 am - St. George, UT
Hi Dawn: Thank you so much for responding. I appreciate everyone's help, it is truly a lifesaver when trying to make a decision of this magnitude.  I was wondering do you know what the age cut-off is for DS Revision? I'm currently 53 and feel as if my time is running out to get this done. Do you have any knowledge on this? Thank you Dawn for responding again to me. JRolfson
Debbie B.
on 11/14/07 1:38 am - Valparaiso, IN
Hi, I'm a revision from an Adjustable Gastric Band way back in 1992, on the 29th of this month I will be one year out from my revision and doing great. Just had my one year labs done last week and all was fine except for slightly low zinc level. Like Dawn, I was full of adhesions also but a revision from a gastric band is usually not nearly as complicated as a revision from RNY so my surgery took less than 3 hours but I was full of adhesions also which took time to clean up. I had no pain, I was encouraged to take an epidural for pain so when I woke up after surgery I was uncomfortable but completely pain free. My recovery went very, very smoothly even tho my incision is longer than most (from braline to 3 inches past my bellybutton due to all the adhesions from previous surgeries. I was out and about 6 days after surgery and was absolutely amazed at how smoothly my recovery went. I would do it all over again in a heartbeat, one of the absolutely best things I have ever done for myself, down from my highest weight of 276 to 172 so far, and every one of my comorbidities have been resolved!  Good luck to you in whatever you decide!
                           D e b  
Most Active
15 years post surgery
jopringle · 1 replies · 58 views