Recent Posts

Islandertra
on 4/19/13 5:20 am - Courtenay, Canada
VSG on 05/15/13
Topic: RE: VICTORIA to MX for Surgery! Support Groups?

Hey Cindry I am planning on going to Mexico on May 15 th with Dr.Aceves.  I live in Courtenay and would love to share this journey with you ! How is you surgeon and where are you getting it done? Tracy

islandgirl_67
on 4/19/13 2:08 am - Canada
Topic: VICTORIA to MX for Surgery! Support Groups?

Having sleeve surgery in Mexico Friday May 3rd.

I am looking for ANY AND ALL post-op support opportunities for post-op life.  Be it an online support buddy, a local Victoria support group, a near by cohort, anything and everything welcome. 

Would LOVE to hear from anyone in or around Victoria BC - who is either pre-op or post-op sleeve surgery in Mexico and wants to be supported and share in this journey!

Can't wait to hear from You!

Cindy

islandgirl_67
on 4/19/13 2:03 am - Canada
Topic: RE: Went to Mexico :)

Hi All,

Just ran across this thread, and I do realize that it is several months old now,  but I am THRILLED to hear the encouraging reports.  Patti S - good for you!  I was fighting back tears when I read this quote from you:   "I haven't been had any head hunger.  I don't struggle with "should I, no I shouldn't" conversations in my head anymore.  There is no more "I'll start the diet tomorrow".  I have no problem baking goodies for Christmas.   I am so glad I had this surgery.  I have no regrets."   I want to be sharing that same story a few months from now!

I am having VGS in Mx two weeks from today.  I thought about this for 6 months,  researched this for 4, and then woke up one day a few weeks ago and booked the next available surgery date ... thinking, feeling, "I'm ready" and it's time to "just do it". I am 110% secure in my decision. 

I am writing to you because I have only one "gap" so to speak in my process.  I neglected to consider post surgery support here in BC.   Of course I have a GP,  but other than my family,  it has occurred to me that a support group of some description would be incredibly helpful.  I am wondering if any of you set anything like this up in advance?  Where did you find your post-surgery encouragement, information and support upon your return from Mx.  I live in Victoria BC - haven't found anything that seems to fit this for me. Also,  did you require much follow up here in BC upon your return.  My understanding is that we do not need any special care.  Anything you can share would be so appreciated.

CIndy

Start Wt: 232  Current Wt: 172  Goal Wt: 160

Surgery Date:  May 5, 2013

Islandertra
on 4/15/13 11:37 am - Courtenay, Canada
VSG on 05/15/13
shutterfly
on 4/10/13 1:41 pm - vancouver, Canada
Topic: RE: waitlist update

No one's doing lap band anymore because of the risks/regain issues. Dr. Nguyen is still doing it at west coast bariatrics buttt.. i think they're going to stop doing it soon. 

bellybegone
on 4/10/13 8:59 am
Topic: RE: Waitlist times for west coast bariatric center

I just phoned today and they said waitlist is 3 years no matter what.  She said there was nothing I could do to get ready to make it happen faster, it goes by date and not by need.  Maybe I will call back and be a bit more specific.  She also said there are 1,000 people on the list and they are only allowed to do 100 per year.... :(  I just found out that because I had a Nissen surgery years ago for reflux that I might not be able to have the surgery.  if anyone has experiece with this please send me a message.  thank you

vanBee
on 4/10/13 4:54 am - Hamilton, Canada
RNY on 07/25/12
Topic: Moving to BC and need info.

Hey all!   A little background on my situation.    I had my RNY on July 25, 2012 at St. Joseph's hospital in Hamilton Ontario by Dr. Anvari (the head of the Ontario Bariatric Program)   My highest weight was 324.5 lbs I am currently 229.7lbs    I had a few stalls in there but I am working my way through.    In Ontario we have follow ups at 1 week, 1 month, 3 months, 6 months, 9 months then annually for the first 5 years.    I am strongly planning to move to Abbotsford BC for Bible College in the Fall of 2014 (I know I'm a little old to be starting bible college but whatever it is my time).     I would like to know any information you can provide about follow ups, the bariatric program and where the nearest centrewould be in BC? 
First Referral (sent to the wrong place): September 17, 2011  ~  Second Referral:December 19, 2011  ~  EKG: February 3, 2012  ~  Abdominal Ultrasound: February 10, 2012  ~  Orientation: March 12, 2012  ~  Nurse Practicioner/Dietician:  April 18, 2012  ~ Internist: April 25, 2012  ~ Social Worker: May 3, 2012  ~  Endoscopy: May 3, 2012  ~  Surgeon Mtg: May 29, 2012  ~  Called With Surgery Date: June 20, 2012  ~  Nutrition Class: June 21, 2012  ~  Pre-Op: July 11, 2012  ~  RNY Surgery Date: July 25, 2012

Surgeon:
 Dr. Anvari

my angel is Monica M 
bbwvixen
on 4/10/13 3:19 am - Surrey, Canada
Topic: RE: waitlist update

I waited four :((

I've heard that Dr Leung is only doing lapband now though

Kim Gyurina, OH Staff
on 4/1/13 3:42 am
DS on 09/27/23
Topic: Important Announcement! OH National Event in Southern CA!

I'm really excited to drop in with some event news! This year we're bringing the 2013 ObesityHelp Conference to Anaheim, California. 

Right now, we're in the planning stages but we'd LOVE for you to go ahead and Save-The-Date and plan to spend time with us and all of your weight loss surgery community friends on October 4th & 5th!  Make sure you stop by the Events site often to check in as we make updates!  

So far, we have our hotel booking information up and ready to go and right now we're taking open speaking submissions and speaker nominations.  We also have already been coordinating with some of the best vendors out there & the exhibit tables are going to be amazing this year. You'll love talking to them and getting to try the samples!

For those of you wanting to reach your non-scale victories of going on amusement park rides and riding those roller coasters, you'll love the hotel we booked with.  We'll be at the Crowne Plaza, which is a Disney Good Neighbor hotel. Yes, just minutes away from Disney!  So close, that we decided that ALL EARLY BIRD ticket buyers will get put into a drawing for TWO TICKETS TO DISNEYLAND!  

Early bird tickets will go on sale, April 8th and then end on May 17! 

We can't wait to see you...spread the word to your friends!   

Kim Gyurina, Event Manager

momjan
on 3/22/13 1:46 pm - Canada
Topic: RE: MSP?

I was approved for out of country - Washington, by MSP.  Talk to a bariatric doctor and see if he can get you approved for ooc.  There is a special section of MSP dealing with out of country surgeries of various types.

Most Active