Recent Posts

vanBee
on 4/24/13 3:12 pm - Hamilton, Canada
RNY on 07/25/12
Topic: RE: Moving to BC and need info.

Thank you!

First Referral (sent to the wrong place): September 17, 2011  ~  Second Referral:December 19, 2011  ~  EKG: February 3, 2012  ~  Abdominal Ultrasound: February 10, 2012  ~  Orientation: March 12, 2012  ~  Nurse Practicioner/Dietician:  April 18, 2012  ~ Internist: April 25, 2012  ~ Social Worker: May 3, 2012  ~  Endoscopy: May 3, 2012  ~  Surgeon Mtg: May 29, 2012  ~  Called With Surgery Date: June 20, 2012  ~  Nutrition Class: June 21, 2012  ~  Pre-Op: July 11, 2012  ~  RNY Surgery Date: July 25, 2012

Surgeon:
 Dr. Anvari

my angel is Monica M 
J R.
on 4/24/13 9:12 am
Topic: RE: Vancouver Island WLS patients

HI there;  I'm post OP from November 2012.  I had the RNY.  Down 81lbs so far.  I was on the wait list for 6 years before I got my date.  I found the best thing was to just put it out of your head and live your life.  With regards to losing it on your own I can only speak for my surgeon's expectations which were just to see progress.  For him it was all about behaviour modification. If you can control your eating, exercise, and lifestyle choices pre op chances are you can control them post op as well.  They know you're contemplating WLS because you have trouble losing weight so they aren't expecting huge losses, cause lets face it if you could do that on your own you wouldn't be thinking WLS so they just want to see the shift in lifestyle.  keep a food diary, but most importantly keep an exercise journal so you can show what you're doing physically even if you aren't losing weight.  Not sure where you are located but lots of areas have a WLS support group.  there is one in nanaimo  but there's lots of support to be found here and if you like I'm happy to chit chat with you whenever you like too... good luck!!!

J R.
on 4/24/13 9:03 am
Topic: RE: waitlist update

I waited 6 years so 3 sounds pretty darn good

Christy_S
on 4/24/13 7:57 am - Vancouver, Canada
Topic: RE: Plastic surgery

Check out the Ontario boards. I know of several people who had surgery in Mexico. Mixed results...

My angel is Karen M                                                  140 lbs lost!      

Christy_S
on 4/24/13 7:56 am - Vancouver, Canada
Topic: Sleep Apnea Machine

Hi there! I had gastric bypass surgery a few years ago in Ontario. I was required to have a breathing machine to address my sleep apnea. I have a wonderful and expensive machine I would like to offer to someone who is in the position I was in. If you're interested, please email me: [email protected]

All the best to all of you who are contemplating surgery. My best decision ever. 

Christy

My angel is Karen M                                                  140 lbs lost!      

Member Services
on 4/22/13 7:35 am - Irvine, CA
Topic: Here it is, the wait is over....

For our 2013 ObesityHelp National Conference in Anaheim, California, OH is proud to announce our Keynote Speaker is.....

MyTurn2012
on 4/21/13 12:24 am - Canada
VSG on 04/24/15
Topic: RE: Moving to BC and need info.

Hi..I'm not in Abbotsford..but would think West Coast Bariatric in Richmond about an hour away.

http://www.westcoastbariatricsurgery.com/contact-us/

Islandertra
on 4/20/13 8:41 am - Courtenay, Canada
VSG on 05/15/13
Topic: RE: VICTORIA to MX for Surgery! Support Groups?

Hi Cindy, So excited for you , only a couple of days left. I am having my surgery by Dr. Aceves in Mexicalli.I just got my surgery date confirmed. May 15th Yay !!! I can't wait. I am having sleeve surgery as well.

I am taking my husband but wish I wasn't . He is not really excited for me to go. Questioning everything.Thinkiing I should wait and get it done in Victoria ( NOT going to happen) I am not really worried at this point but I am sure I will be as the date gets closer LOL. I just don't want DH to be right about having it in Mexico.......but I did find insurance in case anything does happen. ( He wouldn't let me get it without)

I don't have any follow up care either. I did tell my doctor about it and my husband happened to be with me . He was not very supportive about the Mexico thing and asked if I would look back into Canada? (NOPE) Hoping this forum will help with support . And you of course.

I will take with you again before you go. My phone # 250-338-4235 if you want to chat before or after you go. Tracy

PattiS
on 4/19/13 1:23 pm
Topic: RE: Went to Mexico :)

Hi Cindy

Congrats on your decision!!!!!  I am 5 months out and have only good things to say.  I did this for my health, and the benefits I see are telling me I made the right choice.  And it's the little things that make me smile the most.  I was really excited when I could touch my toes LOL!  Walking used to be a chore for me and now I can keep a steady pace and barely break a sweat.   My weight is coming off slowly but steady.  

I really rely on my family and friends for support.  I do have one friend who had the sleeve done 2 years ago.  He is a great support for me.  I found him online.  I see that there is a support group in Victoria.  I  may have noticed the mention of them on this site or perhaps the Vertical Sleeve Talk site.  I did read the forums a LOT when I first had my surgery.  If you have a question, you can bet that someone else has talked about it..  

How did your doctor respond to your decision to have surgery.  I hope you have had support!  My doctor was very supportive of my choice.  In fact, when I found out how long the wait in BC was going to be, my doctor mentioned that a friend of hers went to Mexico.  My initial response was 'I don't know about going to Mexico!'  But I did lots of  research before making my decision. I haven't had any complications since surgery.  My co-ordinator offered a nutritionist that I could talk to after getting back home.  I really didn't need to use them but appreciated that it was there if I needed it.  My doctor also offered a nutritionist that I could contact.  

I did pick up the Weight-Loss surgery for Dummies book that is recommended by the Dr. in Richmond but I found another book that I thought was way better....http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/books/the-complete-weigh t-loss-surgery/9780778802730-item.html?ikwid=weight+loss+sur gery&ikwsec=Books&gcs_requestid=0CLDvyuGj2LYCFUoi5wodRiUAAA

Where are you having your surgery? And which Dr. did you choose>  Keep me posted!

Patti

islandgirl_67
on 4/19/13 5:55 am - Canada
Topic: RE: VICTORIA to MX for Surgery! Support Groups?

Hi Tracy!  So nice to hear from you!  I fly into San Diego and where I will be picked up and driven 4 blocks inside the Mexican border to Dr. Mi Hospital in Tijuana.  My Dr's are Dr. Ismael Cabrera and Dr. Luisiana Valenzuela.  I'm having sleeve surgery. 

Where are you going? And what is your surgery?  Do you have someone going with you?

I'm so ready for this,  two weeks today!   But I'm nervous about not having the follow up care once I get back to BC.   I haven't told my GP,   I see him Tuesday to tell him  ---  not looking forward to that part.

I'm nervous and excited at the same time.  My girl friend is coming with me because my husband is too protective and will probably drive me insane.  She had Lap Band Surgery in Puerto Vallarta last year. 

Cindy

Most Active