Recent Posts

janice11983
on 3/29/15 7:53 am - Canada
Topic: RE: New here

Hi Lynn!  I have an orientation session booked for this Wednesday in Richmond.  Wondering what to expect!  I live in the Fraser Valley as well :)

L_Ballantyne1962
on 3/19/15 7:03 pm - Canada

Hi Lynn. I just had my orientation last week in Victoria and I meet with the Nutritionist. I went back to Victoria the beginning of this week and meet with Dr. Malik. He asked me some questions about my background, where my weight struggles began, what I am doing to improve my health. I told him that since beginning to see Dr. Zentner last October I have lost 30 lbs. He told me that it will be about 6 to 9 months before I will see him again in the meantime I am to continue working on losing more weight. He was very kind and easy to talk to which I appreciated. So, I go tomorrow for my blood work and next week I am going to be fitted for my CPAP as I have mild sleep apnea....who knew?? LOL!!! . I see Dr.Zentner again on April 15 so maybe she can let me know what is next.

L_Ballantyne1962
on 3/19/15 6:00 pm - Canada

Hi Everyone I am new here too. I just had my orientation in Victoria last week. I live in Maple Ridge. I am going tomorrow morning for my blood work up. I am going on March 24 to be fitted for my CPAP as I have mild sleep apnea. For the first time in a very long time I feel like I am taking control of my life and moving forward. I have lost 30 lbs since last October. I am worried about my BMI it is rather high. I am currently 351 lbs and I am 5'6" and my BMI is over 50. I am wondering what is next for me in the process? LOL!!!

joydivision21
on 3/10/15 5:57 pm - richmond, Canada

Hi moon willow 

I'm also going through the Richmond bariatric program my orientation was January 21st😃

Heather L.
on 3/10/15 2:48 am - Coquitlam, Canada
VSG on 03/26/15
Topic: RE: plastics covered by MSP

The only plastics MSP will cover are breast reduction and panni removal (and only if you meet their criteria).

VSG Mar 26, 2015 Dr. Sharadh Sampath -- 5'3" -- 47YO -- HW: 294 - SW: 261 - CW: 192 - GW: 175
Bi-lateral Brachioplasty May 8, 2017 Dr. Owen Reid
Lower Body Lift Oct 2, 2017 Dr. Owen Reid

"Weight is lost in kitchens, health is gained in gyms." - Dr. Yoni Freedhoff

heatherisshrinking.tumblr.com

Helen__C
on 3/9/15 6:10 am - Canada
Topic: Canadian Obesity Network Wants Your Input! Quick poll: Do we need a national engagement strategy?

The Canadian Obesity Network (CON-RCO) is seeking your input regarding initiatives that may be underway to help engage, support, and empower individuals affected by obesity in Canada. Do you feel that there is a need for a nation-wide bariatric patient engagement strategy in Canada?

Please follow the link below to select either 'Yes' or 'No'. Thank you!

http://goo.gl/jZde2H

tamarag55
on 3/8/15 6:28 am - Port Moody (outside Vancouver), Canada
Topic: help with fitness trackers -

Hello! I have a questions about fitness trackers. I use the one on my Samsung, SHealth, to track my steps. I have downloaded the MyFitnessPlan app recommended by the clinic. But I am hoping to find a walk interval trainer that will record training for a 5k? I am not ever going to run because of my knees, (the osteo is bad) but I really like the SunRun interval training for walking - I'd like to have a record of it and to track my progress. Everything i have found is walk/run interval trackers. Any ideas for android, walking apps would love to hear!

Also: I can't find any trackers that record swimming. This is annoying as swimming is my primary go  toexercise now. Any one else swim? It would be straightforward record keeping but no place in MFP or SHealth for swimming...

thanks all!

Tamara

tamarag55
on 3/8/15 5:14 am - Port Moody (outside Vancouver), Canada
Topic: RE: My next step in the journey.

I don't have a surgeon yet. I am a patient of Dr. Zentner, she is the internist running the program. I see her tomorrow, go for my test for sleep apnea soon then hurry up an wait! I've got all my tools now, I just have to start using them. I quit smoking and I am walking every day, swimming or aquafit 3 times a week. I really want my fat/muscle ratio to change ahead of surgery so I will be strong through recovery; I also respond better when I can feel muscles/strength. One day at a time. Though sometimes I think it will be one moment at a time for me. I bought cake and ice cream last night and ate a bowlful. So I got up this morning and  ate properly, then danced as I went through all my clothes & got rid of all the 26 and 28 sizes of everything as I have been wearing clothes that are too big for me. The cake is in the food waste bin and the ice cream is being brought to a neighbour for their kids.

Learned a lot! The dietician/nurse, Carla, is amazing and careful and kind. I took my wife. She was not quite on board until we went. The presentation was helpful to her too, ( she has WAY more comorbidities than I do) and she understands the process now. We got some books and have been reading blogs. Our relationship is going to change, a lot. A lot of our life is food centred, one of the places we struggle is around food too. Codependancy polka! We are both food addicts who are also enablers! So working together will be key for both of us. Small changes already, and lots of kindness each day.

I wish you luck! enjoy the journey! I am not in the habit of coming here often yet, but I'll pick it up and check back in !

Tamara

spurrell1964
on 3/7/15 3:34 am - Turner Valley, Canada
Topic: When choosing a clinic and doctor

Greetings to all. I have spent some time observing comments made here online regarding the company called Mexico Bariatric Centre . I have listened to one female berate the owner of the company and one of his staff. I respect that each of us who post here are entitled to their opinion and so I have decided to share my story regarding Ron Eli and MBC.

I am a Canadian who travelled to Mexico to have the VGS performed by Dr. Alejandro Lopez in April of last year. The experience was one I shall never forget, met many a new friend and visited a new country. I trusted in my surgeon and his staff to perform the surgery that I hoped would give me a new lease on life.

After the surgery was performed, Lopez advised me that I had a Hiatal hernia that he had “repaired” and that there was an added expense. I was a bit shocked as I had a test performed one week prior to my surgery and there was nothing that concerned my own doctor. The test was completed and the results were sent directly to Dr. Lopez to verify that I did not have a hernia.

When I returned home to Canada I was feeling alright for about two weeks, not great but I was doing okay. Unfortunately, that changed in days. I had a massive infection between the esophagus and the stomach…the same place Dr. Lopez stated he had repaired. I was informed that the suturing had been done quite poorly.

I spent two months in hospital and eight days in critical care. I was advised by my doctor that it was touch and go. During this period, I had to undergo another surgery to correct the damage from the original surgery, as well as two blood transfusions. I felt like I was dying. I was released from the hospital on June 10th and came home too weak to walk, let alone go back to work.

What upset me was to see comments stating that MBC and owner Ron Eli were not nice people and that they somehow had become a punching bag for some of Dr. Lopez’s patients. I, like many of you, had a wonderful experience with MBC. That being said, when everything went sideways with my health, Dr. Lopez tried to hide behind legalities and threats. MBC and Cindy Rios were the only ones that treated me with respect and took responsibility for the botched surgery Dr. Lopez had performed on me.

I kept every piece of correspondence between myself and Dr. Lopez.  He told me that my doctors were “liars” and with incredible arrogance refused to believe that I spent two months in the hospital.  All I wanted was for him to take some responsibility, to say “I’m sorry for this happening to you”.  Would that not be the decent reaction of a caregiver? He would not even return the calls of the Canadian surgeons, who wanted to speak with him.

MBC did the honourable  thing and took full responsibility for Lopez’s botched surgery, something the doctor himself refused to do. MBC did the decent thing, the right thing. So please, before you decide who is the big bad monster out there,  I would check and see how many other patients have experienced Lopez’s marginal surgical skills and callous, uncaring attitude.  Thank You to Ron Eli and the Mexico Bariatric Centre and to Cindy Rios for all her hard work and genuine concern. They can both hold their heads up for their compassionate handling of my unfortunate situation.

brandy911200
on 3/5/15 10:53 am - Canada
Topic: RE: Getting my surgery on the 24th

I am actually doing really well except I seem to be able to drink normal rather than sipping 2 ounzes every half hour.I made pea soup today and even had a bite of the ham in it and nothing has happened to me.I just hope im not stretching my pouch or doing damage.I have lost 7 pounds within first week of surgery as well.

Most Active