Recent Posts

Amerlyn
on 5/11/15 12:54 am - Canada
Topic: RE: Things got a bit more real today

This is really disheartening I saw dr Amson feb 2015 after being refered in June 2013 and he told me that it can take up to a year. Which I expected but you are saying you were approved and ready to go in 2012 but still haven't had it???? That seems almost irresponsible of him to make people wait so long. I did talk to one lady in his waiting room and from the sounds of it he wasn't willing to do surgery on her because of her medical history so he kept telling her she needed to lose more. Frustrating...i certainly don't want to waste even more time waiting for him to get around to doing surgery even if he's reputed to be the best in BC.

hope things work out for you!!

Sandi

L_Ballantyne1962
on 5/7/15 8:13 pm - Canada
Topic: RE: LOOKING for some people going through similar

Hey Kim, Congratulations on your progress. I also have mild sleep apnea and am using the CPAP equipment at night for sleeping. I am sleeping much better. Yes, I hope you are right that surgery will be before the end of the year. I also have been looking into the cost of things and what I will  be needing. How are you finding your support system, my friends are all very supportive, my son is very supportive but my boyfriend is supportive but doesn't really understand why I would put myself through this. He tells me I am perfect the way I am. He is worried about complications. But weight is not something he has struggled with in his life. I know he will be there for me, as he always has been but he is not excited like I am. I do hope that changes. I know it is very important to have a strong support system.

Shainsley
on 5/7/15 3:15 pm - Canada
Topic: RE: Helloooooo anybody home..where are all the BC sleevers???

Hello again MyTurn2012!

I really hope that your surgery went well, and that you are on a quick path to recovery! I remember you saying that you were nervous before surgery. Best wishes and post an update when you are feeling a  better:)

Shainsley
on 5/7/15 3:08 pm - Canada

I'm good! I also heard from Michelle that all of my test results are in (a few minor 'out of range' results from the bloodwork and mild sleep apnea, but still cleared for surgery too)!So now I will be called by the surgeon's office and will need to go over to the island for an appointment before surgery. Excited! Obviously they can't say how long it will be, but it will be before the end of the year which is great.

It sounds like we're on a very similiar schedule - I see Dr. Z in her new office on June 3rd. I'm going to start checking flyers to see if the Glucerna or Boost Diabetic for pre-op go on sale...I checked at Superstore last night and they are $11.50/6pk. Also I like the "what you need" section in the Weight Loss Surgery book and I've made a list of things to get beforehand. I guess the nice thing about waiting is that there's lots of time to get organized.

Keep in touch:)

Kim

L_Ballantyne1962
on 5/6/15 4:16 pm - Canada

Hi Shainsley, How are you? I got a call from Michelle at the Bariatric Program in Victoria last week she said they were waiting for my compliance report from the Sleep Clinic well I had just had my appt with the clinic for that. So I had the sleep clinic fax it to Michelle and then Michelle called two days later to tell me that Dr. Waters (respirologist) looked at my compliance report and said I did not need to make a trip to Victoria he was happy with my report and I have been CLEARED for surgery and I am now on the surgical waitlist....back to waiting. LOL!!! But I have completed all the hoops. I will have to have a visit with Dr. Malik (surgeon in Victoria) before my surgery will be booked I believe. I don't see Dr. Zentner again until June 8th. How are you doing in your progress?

Shainsley
on 5/6/15 3:42 pm - Canada

Hi Laura! I'm currently going through RJH, am from Vancouver and am also a patient of Dr. Zentner's:) Curious to know if you've heard anything further about what is next for you as you await surgery? I, like yourself, have done the orientation, bloodwork ecg, sleep test, meeting with Carla etc. but am not sure what is next now! I do still need to meet one of the surgeons but am still excited to be heading in the right direction!

Shainsley
on 4/23/15 5:42 am - Canada

This is SO amazing - you have done so well with preop! Best of luck tomorrow and in the next coming while. I wish you a speedy recovery so that you and your new sleeve can start enjoying your new lease on life!!

MyTurn2012
on 4/23/15 1:51 am - Canada
VSG on 04/24/15

I thought you maybe meant Carla! I'm nervous as all heck today!!! TOMORROW is surgery!! I started my preop on the 2 of April and finished yesterday the 22 so 20 days ( down 18 lbs before the bowel evacuation lol )...today is the bowel prep and have to be on clear liquids... 4 litres of water..plus also things such as gatorade and apple juice..can even have pop  (which I don't drink yuck too sweet for me). Going to shock the system with having this much sugar..but I guess it flushes right out! 

The preop was a lot easier than I expected...wasn't really hungry...tired of protein shakes though as it's all sweeter tasting..could have a cup of broth though which tasted like heaven! The worst part for me was the constipation from drinking the 4 cups of 1% I made the shakes with plus of course the whey protein. ( Most use Ensure or Glycerna but I can't tolerate both the sucralose or how wired up I feel after even one let alone 4!)  OMG tried Milk of Magnesia, Colace and suppositories...finally took an fleet enema to fix the problem ..sorry TMI I know but best warned.  

Well about to take the first nuclear concoction ..wish me luck!  Keep in touch on your journey too ;-)

Lovady69
on 4/22/15 2:47 am - Kelowna , Canada

I am new here and thinking about surgery I have seen Dr Amson and I have an appt Aug 14th to see dr Zentner, Dr Moldoveanu and a group orientation with Carla. I was woundering if anyone else out there has gone through this and wondering if anyone has a suggestion where I could stay for a couple of nights as I am from Kelowna B.C. I am very nervous about going through the steps to weight loss surgery!

Ayorama
on 4/21/15 12:57 pm - Surrey, Canada
Topic: RE: Things got a bit more real today

I saw Dr Amson the first time in September 2012, and have been waiting ever since. I did have a gastroplasty in 2001, so Dr Amson is my only choice since he's the one with the experience.  I have no idea who Dr Z is, but have seen CArla a few times.  I saw Jan he first time, and then come to find out that Carla is who you have to see, not Jan.  

I am so very frustrated with the program in Victoria.    A friend of mine saw dr amson in 2013 for the first time and then was asked last summer if she wanted to see malik and had her surgery in November.  I have done everythign asked of me, gone to see CArla, Jan and all the doctors for all the tests, and yet I still sit here waiting.  

If you have the opportunity to see someone other than Amson, do it!!  I've talked to people who have waiting 7years to get into surgery with Amson.  Carla keeps telling me "soon"... but still I wait.  my friend in now in onederland and I still wait.

So who is Zetner?  waht does this person do?

Most Active