Recent Posts

meontheweb
on 9/27/18 4:14 pm - New Westminster, BC, Canada
Topic: RE: So pissed off!

Thanks! I did send a note to my clinic, however they may not respond since the information would probably be under PIPA or HIPA. I'll wait until next month then contact the office as they probably will not respond to e-mails.

meontheweb
on 9/27/18 4:12 pm - New Westminster, BC, Canada
Topic: RE: Hello - New Member

I can cut out the carbonated drinks, but really struggle with carbs. My background is African and ethnicity is South Asian so carbs are a way of life.

I don't eat a lot of rice, roti/naan but make up for it in other ways like chicken or beef burgers, pasta, or bread.

I can cook more North American cuisine, but that is also a chore and not something my wife likes to do or can do easily.

I know the process is long, but also hearing the things you're having to do (dietitian, psychiatrist etc.,) I suspect the process is designed that way on purpose whereas if you pay to get it done you probably bypass some of those steps.

meontheweb
on 9/27/18 4:09 pm - New Westminster, BC, Canada

I agree with you - I would deal with the skin, but the weight is a real drag on the body and life expectancy.

meontheweb
on 9/27/18 4:08 pm - New Westminster, BC, Canada

Thanks - I'm on a FB group for Bariatric Surgery as well, and some people have had excess skin and many have not, without doing any type of "scientific study" there is no way to tell who will and will not have sagging skin.

The group is composed of people that have had it, or in the process. Most are US patients but there are some Canadian in the group as well.

catwoman7
on 9/26/18 8:54 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

re: the loose skin. I worried about loose skin incessantly when I was a pre-op and early post-op. I had a lot of it, but it was very easy to hide (I eventually had it taken off because I didn't like looking at myself naked. But no one knew it was there except for me, my husband, and my doctor). I know that *a lot* of us (not everyone - but a lot) would say that in retrospect, we shouldn't have worried so much about the loose skin. I would take my loose skin any day over weighing 372 lbs. ANY DAY!

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

gallan
on 9/26/18 7:43 pm - Prince George, Canada

I lost this forum for over a year. It takes over two years waiting list to start the Richmond Bariatric and Metabolic program covered by Medical Services Plan of BC. I had my orientation in June. As I recall I was frustrated with the initial registration and confirmation I was on the list. I think the way it is done is that your (my) GP prepares a letter of request. The clinic then replies and the doctor faxes the application. It took a month or two for that process in my case, including the GP's time to prepare the letter. He included some weight information including a graph. I record my weight on an Excel spreadsheet but I think he used his own weights he recorded at his office. The graph looked good but, long story short, I continue to gain weight. I had a second visit to Richmond, From Prince George, two weeks ago and met with a Dietitian (90 minutes), and a social worker for 45 minutes. I now have a scheduled phone appointment with the dietitian in October and two scheduled video appointments with a psychiatrist in October and November. I have a history of depression so thus the Psychiatric requirement. I am recording my foods, cut out caffeine and most carbonated drinks but I struggle to cut down much on carbs.

Kathy S.
on 9/26/18 2:41 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Metamorph1959
on 9/25/18 9:20 pm

Give it a few weeks -- at least 3 or 4. It can take that long for a referral to be processed, and you'll cause extra work both for the referring office and the hospital staff if you ask too soon.

Metamorph1959
on 9/25/18 9:17 pm

For some strange reason, most doctors don't know about the program. I was told about it by somebody who had bariatric surgery in Victoria and was attending the MWM clinic for the post bariatric surgery group. When I told my doctor about the program, she didn't hesitate to refer me, but it was the first she had heard about it. I think, too, that it hasn't been around all that long -- that it is still in development and has grown a lot in the past couple of years.

The trouble with most of the protein drinks out there is that they don't have enough fibre in them. The PGX shakes are basically a conduit for fibre... with protein along for the ride. I haven't tried them yet, but I plan to pick up a sample this coming week and see how it goes. I didn't fare well with the capsules when I tried them a few years ago, but apparently the shakes are easier on the GI system. I hope...

meontheweb
on 9/25/18 8:01 pm - New Westminster, BC, Canada

Thanks - I think I will call by the end of this week as it is one week tomorrow since I saw the endo.

I'd rather **** someone off than patiently wait and find out it was missed.

Most Active