Recent Posts

Reicken
on 8/11/15 8:57 am - Victoria , Canada
Topic: RE: Attention BC'ers

My guess is that MSP won't cover it. I would imagine that they would only cover the cost of the surgery if it was performed in BC because they offer it.

From the process I went through, it is a methodical approach to making sure you are mentally as well as physically ready for the change that will happen to you. I wasn't 'in the program' for 3-5 years, but over 2. It really all depends on what availability your surgeon has for spots, and how you do with their process. Follow all the rules and show progress, and you'll get your shot.

I personally am glad that they made me wait. It allowed me 'at the time' to fully understand what I was going to be getting myself into, and to give me the time to explain to help my wife and daughter that my decision was going to help the family as a whole, not just me.

Whatever you choose, I wish you the best of luck in your journey, and keep us updated!

HW: 330 | SW: 300 | 1 Mo: -27 | 2 Mo: -12| 3 Mo: 0 (stalled!)

Surgery Type: VSG - Dr. Malik @ Royal Jubilee Hospital (2015/07/27)

heather5565
on 8/11/15 6:28 am - Prince George, Canada
Topic: RE: 5 days out

hope to hear your journey gets better everyday!

My tentative date booked is Sept 21

so... in other words I am going to be stalking this site and asking a lot of questions! haha

Heather

Soon-to-be-pain-free-and-a-healthier-me.

heather5565
on 8/11/15 6:27 am - Prince George, Canada
Topic: RE: Wednesday August 12th Surgery Day!!!

Good luck with everything and looking forward to hearing from you "on the other side"

Heather

heather5565
on 8/11/15 6:25 am - Prince George, Canada
Topic: Attention BC'ers

Hi I live in BC Canada and am trying to get information on how (if it's even possible) to get reimbursed from MSP if I have either the Sleeve or the Bypass. If I was to self-pay, is there a chance I can be reimbursed? How did you do it? I don't want to go on the 3-5 year wait list....

Anyone from BC go to Montreal to get your surgery done? I assume you paid.... but did you get money back from MSP? (all, 1/2 or even some of it back?)

I can't find a doctor in BC that does the surgery via the patient pays upfront. I have only found surgeons submit the bill MSP directly and the patient never paid a penny out of pocket ---  but this leads back to having to go on a 3-5 year wait list.

I have tried going to Alberta but my doctor received a letter back from a clinic there stating that they are no longer accepting out-of-province patients. Now granted, this was for being covered. Any BC residents go to Alberta to a private hospital and paid up front (self pay) then submit to MSP and get reimbursed?

I have called MSP myself and they said that they do not cover any bariatric surgeries... ummm I'm confused... then what are all these people of wait lists for then? I have read on so many forums all over the internet that people got theirs covered.

It just seems like all misinformation and I really need to find the exact information I need (whether it is in fact reimbursed or if it is 100% not reimbursed.) I just don't want to miss a crucial step in this process and get the surgery done and then only to find out that I don't get covered because I missed a step (and possibly be because I was misinformed when I contacted MSP)

I am having either the sleeve or bypass regardless but it would be kinda great to get even some of that money back.

any and all tips, information, links, personal experiences, specific forms to submit, lean me in the absolute correct direction... anything would be greatly appreciated!

I have a consult with a doc in Montreal on the 18th, and tentative surgery itself on Sept 21! I am so very pumped that I want to get this done yesterday!!!

again, any tidbit of information that sends my in the right direction to hopefully get this surgery covered and reimbursed would be so appreciated!!!

Thank you in advance and I hope to be "one of you guys" sometime soon (whether I have to pay and get nothing back, you will see me on here again, I can promise you that!)

take care

and I hope all of you are doing fantastic in your weight loss journey!!!!

Heather

AnImperfectAngel
on 8/9/15 10:58 pm - Victoria, Canada
VSG on 05/30/17

Great job of losing so much weight already. I'm so excited for you. Good luck with your surgery on Wednesday, Laura! Keep us posted. 

Rhiannon

High W: 265 Surgery W: 208 Current W: 160 Goal W: 135

VSG Surgery May 30, 2017

AnImperfectAngel
on 8/9/15 10:52 pm - Victoria, Canada
VSG on 05/30/17
Topic: RE: 5 days out

Glad to hear you're doing well James. So great that you're not hungry. This forum is super slow but if you go to the main one, there's tons of great advice! Hope you have an awesome week. 

Rhiannon

VSG Surgery May 30, 2017

mamaj1950
on 8/9/15 10:15 pm - Canada

hello and keep thinking all those positives thoughts.Ihave followed all diet suggestions and am doing well.I know you will do well too.you have made a decision to get your heath as a priority.the rest is all the little steps you take to stay on track.i wish you all the best and will keep in touch.

L_Ballantyne1962
on 8/9/15 1:36 pm - Canada
Topic: Wednesday August 12th Surgery Day!!!

Happy Sunday Everyone... I am leaving for Victoria tomorrow morning. I have appointments Monday and Tuesday. See Anesthesiologist, chest x-ray, blood work, EKG, See Carla, Keeping me busy!!! My surgery is Wednesday Morning. I am exciting and nervous all at the same time.  The feeling is hard to explain. Looking forward to the next chapter, being on the bench. I started this journey with only knowing I had to do something to change the path I was on. Not taking care of my health and not believing in myself was so destructive. To think it has almost been a year since I meet Dr. Zentner. I walked into my family Dr.'s office July 2014 with tears in my eyes and asked her for help. She referred me to Dr. Zentner and meeting her changed my life. She has encouraged me, inspired me and even when I was not doing well and slipping off the path she was positive and told me I can do this. So here I am only days away from the next part of my journey. It took me till the end of August 2014 to first meet Dr. Zentner at that time I was 386lbs I am now at 345lbs. I have a long way to go but what is different for me is that I now know I am worth taking care of my health. Dr. Malik is my surgeon and he is no nonsense kinda guy but was very kind when we meet. Cheers Laura

James_chambers
on 8/9/15 12:14 pm
Topic: 5 days out

overall I seem to be feeling better day by day. The nausea seems to come and go, Gravol and changing positions seems to help a lot. My protein intake is much lower than I was told to target. Not sure if it's normal to not care if I eat. I'm not hungry at all, thirsty like there's no tomorrow, but not hungry. I've probably maxed out at 10 grams of protein in one day, the problem is I don't really like the sweetness of my shake. I've had soup with protein added, but that only gives me 5g of protein per 1/4 cup. jello is too sweet. Anyone have issues with things being too sweet? 

AnImperfectAngel
on 8/7/15 1:12 am - Victoria, Canada
VSG on 05/30/17
Topic: RE: New guy here... Surgery tomorrow

That's wonderful. You've got this!

Rhiannon

VSG Surgery May 30, 2017

Most Active