Recent Posts

DSJSMOM23
on 9/21/15 9:30 pm
VSG on 06/24/14
Topic: RE: Waitlist times for west coast bariatric center

Good for you using those apps! That's a huge step in the right direction!

my plastic surgery was $15000. I was quoted $8000 for a tummy tuck and $8000 for the butt, hips and outer thighs. Because I did it all at

once, he took $1000 off

my plastic surgeon is in abbotsford and he's amazing!

arr you in the lower mainland?

also, are you part of the Facebook group?

if you aren't and you would like to be let me know. 

I can send you the information via pm

its a private Group for patients in the Richmond program. Victoria patients are also welcome. 

(deactivated member)
on 9/21/15 7:52 pm

Thank you for your advice.  I have been using MyFitnessPal for a year or so now and love it.  Just started to use MapMyWalk as well in April and love to see the progress with that app as well.  

Congrats on making your goal!!

May I ask the cost of the plastic surgery?

(deactivated member)
on 9/21/15 7:49 pm
Topic: RE: Question for those who have had surgery

TJ, thank you for taking the time to reply.  You sound so excited for tomorrow.  This is quite the journey for sure and you are on the next leg of the journey.  Rest  and take it easy.

LMN69
on 9/21/15 4:29 pm - Canada
Topic: RE: New to forum

Luck!!  I can't wait to hear about your next chapter on your journey.  Speedy recovery to you.

on 9/21/15 1:22 pm - Canada

Hi Jan,

Do do go to the orientation for the Richmond program - I had some of the same questions... If you lose weight during the wait period it isn't going to work against you. They work from your initial weight at the first session. Losing weight during that time shows that you are ready to make the needed changes. The info and support in the "lead up" is incredible and will be helpful, even if in the end you aren't offered the surgery or you decide to decline. I've been through it all, and have VGS surgery TOMORROW! I'm excited and SO ready! Good luck on your journey - wherever it leads you.

TJ

on 9/21/15 1:08 pm - Canada

Oh no, I AM having the surgery - tomorrow morning, in fact! What I meant is that the screening part is so thorough that by itself it's really valuable. I learned a lot... Wish me luck!

Reicken
on 9/21/15 5:09 am - Victoria , Canada

IMHO, adopting the post surgery diet and not having the surgery isn't the greatest idea. The post surgery diet is meant to get your body what it needs primarily, but meant for a smaller stomach. If you don't have surgery, I believe your chances of relapse would be greater unless you ate a balanced diet. The surgery is one of the tools in your 'tool belt'. Its not the solution.

That being said however, if you can modify your eating habits and ramp up exercise to lose weight and keep it off, then by all means that is better than surgery.

Although I cannot speak for others, the reason why I had the surgery is because after trying dieting, exercise (even with a personal trainer) and everything else for years, I wasn't able to lose enough weight, and keep it off. Also, co-morbilities were a factor.

Life post-surgery *IS* life changing. There are alot of things I cannot 'enjoy' now like all you can eat buffets (waste of money given what I can consume), fish and chips (too much fat), etc. There are alot of things I *CAN* enjoy now though, and am looking forward to enjoying like more energy, shopping for clothes at regular stores, not having joint pain, stopping medications, etc.

There are pros and cons to whatever surgery journey you are on. I hope that this gave you a little insight of why I chose to go through it, and welcome any questions you may have about it.

Cheers!

HW: 330 | SW: 300 | 1 Mo: -27 | 2 Mo: -12| 3 Mo: 0 (stalled!)

Surgery Type: VSG - Dr. Malik @ Royal Jubilee Hospital (2015/07/27)

LMN69
on 9/19/15 11:16 am - Canada

Thanks for all the great info!   Was it your choice not to get the surgery? 

DSJSMOM23
on 9/19/15 9:53 am
VSG on 06/24/14

The program I went on to lose 40 pounds was in no way related to the Richmond Bariatric Program. I won't recommend it because it wasn't the best.

After I went to my orientation and had my appointment with the dietician at Garratt Wellness Center, I started following their program. It basically consisted of following the Canada food guide, and logging all my foods. (I use my fitness pal religiously)

My advice to you, to get ready for your consultation (I'm assuming at Garratt, with the Richmond program?) if, if you aren't already doing so, start tracking your food. Create a My Fitness Pal account, and use it everyday!
Familiarize yourself with the Canada Food Guide. Learn it, and start following it.
Weigh and measure your food.
Get the book "Weightloss surgery for dummies" read it, then read it again :)
Get moving! Start an exercise program of some sort. I started with walking

These are key steps that the will teach you once you are in the Richmond program.

I ended up having my sleeve surgery in June 2014. I lost 100% of my excess weight within 9 months, and made my goal in March of 2015. In June of 2015 (this year) I had plastic surgery. I had a circumferential trunk lift with tummy tuck.
I am now officially in maintenance, and I am thrilled with my results!

Good luck to you! I hope your consult goes well!

on 9/19/15 9:46 am - Canada
Topic: RE: start liquid diet tomorrow!!!

What's your surgery date and hospital? Sleeve or RNY or? I'm meeting my sleeve on Tuesday at Richmond Hospital - so ready!

Most Active