Recent Posts

(deactivated member)
on 10/3/15 8:11 pm
Topic: 100 percent certain?

Hi, for those who have had the surgery, were you 100% when you opted into the program or did that assurance of making the right decision get stronger after you opted in and went through the processes?

My orientation was Sep 30 and I am not sure what to do.

(deactivated member)
on 10/3/15 8:07 pm
Topic: RE: New Member---- dose MSP (BC) cover part or any cost of surgery and how do i go about this?

MSP does cover 2 types of surgery, the gastric sleeve and the roux en y surgery. You have to be referred by your GP and the wait list for an orientation appointment is approx 2 years. If you meet the requirements for surgery you could be waiting an addition 9-18 months for your surgery. It is quite a long process.

whatdosenotkillyou
on 10/2/15 1:20 pm - nanaimo, Canada
Topic: New Member---- dose MSP (BC) cover part or any cost of surgery and how do i go about this?

Hello im a new member Im planning on weight loss surgery but am not sure were to start so much conflicting information out there. I am wondering if MSP covers the cost of any weight loss surgery's and if so witch ones and how so I go about applying for surgery coverage any information from ppl who have gone before me or ar farther along in this journey then I am would be greatly appreciated.

thank you in advance :)

Shainsley
on 9/29/15 11:27 am - Canada
Topic: pre-op diet

Super excited as my surgery has been booked for November 26th, with Malik (VSG).

Wondering if any of you have tried the Slim Time shakes? Dr. Zentner has recommended them for pre-op since I told her I'm not a fan of the taste of Boost Diabetic and Glucerna gives me tummy troubles. As far as I know Slim Time can only be ordered online (http://www.slimtime.com/drinks/slimtime.html). I'm wondering if they're any good?!?

Shainsley
on 9/29/15 11:16 am - Canada
Topic: RE: What are the wait times in bc for gastric sleeve surgery?

There seems to be so much variation in wait times. I think there are a few things that factor into how quickly the waitlist moves. I started seeing Dr. Zentner in 2011, and she put me on the waitlist for Richmond immediately. I never heard anything. Then 1 year ago, when she became the Director of the Victoria Bariatric program she moved me over to their list. I had my orientation in April, lots of testing done in the spring, met with Dr. Malik in August and now have my surgery (VSG) scheduled for November 26th. It has been a very long wait for me (4.5 years from start to finish), but I think that's in part due to the fact that other than obesity (BMi is 40), I don't have any co-mobidities that would've pushed me through the line faster (i.e. no cardiovascular issues, no diabetes, no respiratory or psychological factors either). Your success in the program also plays a part. Also, the program in Victoria is still expanding and now they have a 3rd surgeon.  They are also hopeful to obtain more funding from the gov. for WLS so they will be able to move through the waitlist quicker (for instance, Dr. Malik only has 1 day in the operating room per month for weight loss surgery).

Whether the wait is 1 year or a couple, it is definitely worth it. I'm not sure where you are located, but if you have the chance to work with Dr. Zentner, I highly recommend her.

Kim

Shainsley
on 9/29/15 10:58 am - Canada
Topic: RE: cheap place to stay in Victoria?

Congratulations on almost being at your surgery date! How is the pre-op diet going for you? My surgery is booked with Malik for November 26th and I am so excited. I have been waiting 4 years and can't wait to get started on the next chapter of my life.

I too am on the mainland and will be looking for a place to stay in Victoria. I will let you know if I come across any good options!

Kim

beelitehobbies
on 9/27/15 8:53 pm - Canada
VSG on 04/27/15
Topic: RE: Richmond and waiting.

From what I heard it should be soon for the referral call in? You have waited 13 months. Have you called for an update on their schedule?

Personally, I decided to give up after about a year waiting for the first consult meeting. Went pay as you go in Ontario. Time was more precious than money to me?

Male 55, Initial weight 388#, and 6'1" / surgery weight 360#/Current Weight is 296#

(deactivated member)
on 9/26/15 7:33 pm
Topic: RE: Question for those who have had surgery

Yes mine is Sept 30 in Richmond.  I guess I will see you there.

sarabattlePCOS
on 9/26/15 7:11 pm
VSG on 02/09/16
Topic: RE: Question for those who have had surgery

Hi Jan!

is your orientation on the 30th? If so, I'm in the same group :)

(deactivated member)
on 9/22/15 7:47 pm
Topic: RE: Waitlist times for west coast bariatric center

Thank you for letting me know the cost.  I will pass for now on more information until I decide what I am going to do.

Most Active