Recent Posts

Odettework
on 3/9/16 10:11 am
Topic: RE: LOOKING for some people going through similar

Hi there,

I have waited nearly 4 years...traveling from surrey to the island many times. Finally last year 2015, i was placed in the bariatic program. Since then everything has gone the fastest it ever has. After orientation, I met with carla and Dr.zentner about ever 3 months. I moved up north to prince george..and have still kept all my appts. During that time I also did all assessments like sleep , blood-work . I have completed everything, and now have my surgery consult with dr.Malik in April...Dr. Z has said i will def. be having surgery this year. During this entire process I have never been given a time line...so there is a light!!!!!! Stay dedicated, continue to work on yourself and ur diet as well exercise. After 4 years I almost gave up..And now almost 5 years and many many falls of the band wagon, I am down about 55lbs and almost ready for surgery!!!! The closer I get the more dedicated I have become! Please email me privately if you like! [email protected] :)

nbrowne
on 2/29/16 5:31 pm - Nanaimo, Canada

Nobody told me that I would have surgery in a year I'm just guessing from other peoples experience. At this point I'm just anxiously waiting for my assessment and in the mean time im counting my calories using myfitnesspal app (they suggested this in the orientation) and trying to loose as much as I can to show them that I am dedicated to this. My doctor told me that I should loose 10% of my body weight before they will consider doing surgery on me. 

AnImperfectAngel
on 2/26/16 4:40 pm, edited 2/26/16 9:37 am - Victoria, Canada
VSG on 05/30/17

My file has just gone into the program at RJH. I still have not even been contacted about an orientation. Why do you think it will be at least another year before your surgery? Did they say it would be about 6 months after your assessment?

You are giving me so much hope, even if it is another year, at least you know it's going to happen soon. I pray that you will get in as quickly as possible!

Did they say that you have to lose any weight before the surgery or make any other suggestions?

Rhiannon

High W: 265 Surgery W: 208 Current W: 160 Goal W: 135

VSG Surgery May 30, 2017

nbrowne
on 2/26/16 2:58 pm - Nanaimo, Canada

It was almost 2 years to the day that I finally heard from the Bariatric program about the orientation so I would suspect that you will hear sometime this summer. 

Ive only had the orientation and I'm still waiting to have an assessment with Carla and the internist Dr Zenter, which I just told will be another 4-6 months so I dont foresee having surgery for atleast another year.....its really depressing sometimes but I just keep holding onto hope. 

Do you know if your file is still with Dr Amson's office or has it been sent to the Bariatric Program at Royal Jubilee?

nbrowne
on 2/26/16 2:50 pm - Nanaimo, Canada

Hi there,

The group orientation was about 2 hours long. Its normally run by Carla the programs Dietitian but she was away so a lady named Sara was filling in for her. At the beginning you are given a requisition for all kinds of blood work, ECG and urine test to be done as soon as possible. They also give a bariatric checklist, a print out on a book that you should buy (which I have done and find it extremely helpful) and a bit of information on support groups. Then follows a  lengthy power point presentation all about the 2 types of surgeries they perform, what to do before and after surgery, all about the diet we need to be following and so on. I brought a notebook to take notes as I found it alot to take in. Now that I have completed the orientation and have done all my blood work and ecg and made sure that the Bariatric Program has all they need its just another waiting game to have my assessment with Carla and Dr. Zentner (Internist) 

The assessment with Carla and Dr Zentner which I literally just got off the phone with Michelle at the program who is Carla right hand to ask her wait times and she told me that its about 4-6 months before I will have my assessment. She gave me an estimate that I will hear from them in June to book and appointment for late summer but of course this is just her guessing, could be sooner (fingers crossed) or later. I hope this helps :) be sure to let me know how your orientation goes :)

AnImperfectAngel
on 2/24/16 2:16 am, edited 2/23/16 6:21 pm - Victoria, Canada
VSG on 05/30/17

Thank you so much for posting this, nbrowne. My referral to Dr. Amson went in July 2014 and I have yet to hear from them.

It's great to know that the waitlist is moving forward. Also, I really appreciate you saying that you were feeling really disheartened with the long wait and lack of communication. I actually became quite depressed for a while, thinking it would never happen for me. It helps to know that others are feeling similar and that I'm not alone.

Did you get your surgery date yet?

Good luck with everything!

Rhiannon

High W: 265 Surgery W: 208 Current W: 160 Goal W: 135

VSG Surgery May 30, 2017

mappenrodt
on 2/16/16 12:30 pm

What did you do in the group orientation?  I am having mine March 3rd. I had my referral 2 years ago and finally got a call last week :)

nbrowne
on 2/10/16 8:47 pm - Nanaimo, Canada

Thanks for responding to my post :) How long ago did you have surgery?

I'm just starting the process and I've been looking all over Nanaimo hoping to find a support group of some sort to join to help with the process and I sort of feel alone. I know there are support groups in Victoria but I dont drive so getting there would be difficult for me. Any tips or tricks you can offer a newbie would be most welcome :)

I got for the orientation at Royal Jubilee tomorrow, im quite nervous as I dont do well in crowds....so heres hoping its not too crowded. 

How is your progress going? 

KimberleeMaloy
on 2/7/16 12:45 pm
Topic: RE: Close to getting a date

Why the long wait lists???

Frankie82
on 1/30/16 2:52 pm
RNY on 08/07/14

Hello :) I am also in Nanaimo. It is a slow process; from my referral to to surgery was 47 months. There are some mixed blessings with the long wait time. The deteriorating self esteem and physical health are certainly not some of them, however, it really does give some time to really think about your relationship with food and how we treat our bodies.

I started with Dr. Tang, but then was transferred to Dr. Amson mid process. I missed out on some of the pre-op work like the ongoing visits with Carla as I only saw her twice before my surgery (once two months before and once the week of surgery). I really do wish I would have entered into one of the programs she recommends for food addiction, which I never thought I had. I have recently had a lot go on in both my personal and professional life and I realized that I never replaced food as a coping mechanism for stress. I never realized how much I would miss a Diet Coke until I realized that that was part of my stress coping arsenal.

Physically, the process is most certainly worth it. Take this time on the wait list to work on the rest of you.

Most Active