Recent Posts

Metamorph1959
on 12/25/18 1:18 am
Topic: RE: BC Medical Journal - Bariatric Surgery

I saw that, too, when I was looking to see if there's anything on the web yet about the Fraser Health bariatric program (if there really is one -- that is, the one that Dr. Zentner is supposed to be heading up). She has an article in there.

It looks interesting, and I'm bookmarking it for reading when it isn't so far past my curfew...

Metamorph1959
on 12/25/18 1:16 am
Topic: RE: Dr zenter/ Vancouver office

I'd be interested to know how your appointment with Dr. Zentner went. It's my experience that she's not very good with depression or other mental health issues.

I would recommend the Medical Weight Management Centre in Coquitlam (Dr. Michael Lyons), except that it's unlikely it would work for you coming from Kamloops. Might be worth contacting them for advice, however.

Good luck.

Metamorph1959
on 12/25/18 1:04 am
Topic: RE: New Member - Fraser Valley

Those of you in the Fraser Valley, I encourage you to get a referral to the Medical Weight Management Centre in Coquitlam. I've been attending for a few months now (a whole day of travel for me), and it's a superb program. I expect it will help speed the process from orientation to surgery as well. They also have a post-surgery support group that meets once a month on a Tuesday night.

As for wait times, it used to be much faster to get into the Richmond program than into the Victoria program, but now that the Richmond program is well established, that has reversed.

And as I've said in other threads, I have no idea about the Fraser Health program, which it sounds like Dr. Ali Zentner is involved in. Because it's so new, it's probably way faster than the other programs -- if you can find out anything about it!

Metamorph1959
on 12/25/18 12:45 am
Topic: RE: Hello - New Member

Yup. That's the Ali Zentner mentioned above. She left the Victoria program in April, I think, and is running this "Fraser Valley" program now, but I haven't been able to find out anything about it. Mind you, as my wait time is becoming shorter (I have been to Victoria but may hold out for Richmond) and Dr. Zentner and I parted on less than amicable terms, I'll stick with what I'm doing. And I really like the doctor (Dr. Pewarchuk) *****placed her and now runs the Victoria program. It's funny -- Zentner is a low-carb, high-protein, don't-worry-about-the-saturated-fat advocate, and Pewarchuk advocates for a vegan diet. I'll only say that Zentner's advice did not work for me.

Vegansey
on 12/25/18 12:22 am - Abbotsford, Canada

Did you attend the winning at losing course in Richmond or did they find something similar in Fraser valley? I'm almost at 2 year wait mark. Any info is appreciated.

gallan
on 11/27/18 4:05 am - Prince George, Canada
Topic: RE: Hello - New Member

Update:

I have had three required video (Medeo) appointments with a psychiatrist (Marciano) and there will be no more. I am waiting for the psychiatrist to complete the report for my GP so my GP can make a referral to a local (Prince George) psychiatrist at the Mental Health out patient service. It will probably be required that I have contact with a local psychiatrist before the clinic will give me a surgery date according to the Richmond program psychiatrist (Marciano).

I am continuing interviews with a dietitian - two appointments so far. My first appointment was in Richmond and the second one by phone. The dietitian requested I restrict my carbohydrate intake to 30 - 45 g at meals and 15 - 30 g for snacks. This is very hard for me. I am making progress but eat a lot of fat, salad, dairy, and sugar substitute to compensate for carbs. for instance right now it is early morning and I am thinking of having Fibre 1 (bran) cereal with half and half cream.

I was diagnosed with diabetes recently so I went to retinal screening, was fine, and now the first of two diabetes training centre educational classes was yesterday. Each session is 3+ hours with a diabetes counselor and dietitian in a class with five other clients. This class was helpful to learn more about nutrition and diabetes. Particularly of interest to me was diabetes theory, glucose scale, glucose meters, MSP subsidy policy, food labeling, and food groups.

OnlineAnnie
on 11/21/18 11:20 pm
jillydopop
on 11/6/18 2:07 pm
VSG on 02/09/17

Glad you are doing well! I had a great experience as well. I'm now out in the Fraser Valley. At nearly two years post op sleeve I must say the GERD is HORRENDOUS. I should have selected bypass.

jillydopop
on 11/6/18 2:04 pm
VSG on 02/09/17
Topic: RE: Dr zenter/ Vancouver office

I had many appointments before my surgery but I'm also lower mainland based. I'm sure they will try to consolidate your visits to get as many done on your individual trips down.

jillydopop
on 11/6/18 2:03 pm
VSG on 02/09/17
Topic: RE: looking for WLS friendly GP recommendations

I'm not aware of any surgeons here who offer a self pay option.

Most Active