Recent Posts

meontheweb
on 2/11/19 11:03 am - New Westminster, BC, Canada
Topic: RE: Ali Zentner / Fraser Health Authority

This is great - thanks!

Is this a private clinic?

The resources are awesome! I e-mailed the Richmond Hospital for the pre-surgery information, and they never did get back to me. Any information prior to surgery (even if years away) is helpful to have.

gallan
on 2/6/19 12:25 am - Prince George, Canada
Topic: RE: Hello - New Member

My last update was November 27th. I have lost 10 kilos since I entered the program in June 2018. I am hoping for surgery in April. I have an appointment with a local psychiatrist (in Prince George) March 22nd. I have purchased a box of protein drinks to use for my pre-op diet, if and when I get a surgery date. The product is Opti-fast 900 which involves four bottles of product a day. My dietitian said I can take five a day, instead of four, because I know it will be a big struggle for me to meet this goal. I am using a food and exercise app called myfitnesspal.com by entering the info on my desk top and sending it as a pdf file to my dietitian, Nooshin, at the Richmond clinic. I hope to get a free cell phone from a friend, an i-phone 5, and learn how to use it for the app so then I can forgo the manual writing of the food journal. I am currently consuming about 4,000 calories a day and my app has a goal of 2500/day. It is very hard for me to restrict my diet and I am definitely not an exercise guy. I still lean toward getting the RNY surgery as my BMI is at least 45. I am 64 years old, current weight 352 pounds, and six feet one inch tall. I have another phone interview with my dietitian at the end of this week.

Metamorph1959
on 1/17/19 2:54 am
Topic: RE: So pissed off!

meontheweb, I have just learned that if you attend the Medical Weight Management Centre in Coquitlam, your surgery in Richmond will be expedited. I suspect from another thread here that that's how it works if you see Ali Zentner as well.

Kathy S.
on 12/28/18 5:57 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with
Topic: RE: Dr zenter/ Vancouver office

Thanks for sharing the link to the Ontario forum. I hope you don't mind I hyper linked it so all they have to do is click it. Thanks again

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

meontheweb
on 12/28/18 5:55 am - New Westminster, BC, Canada

I would cross-post in the ONTARIO forum, there are some BC residents in there as it appears the BC forum is pretty slow.

Even if someone in ON replies, from what I've read the process across Canada is very similar for bariatric surgery. What may be different is once you get the actual date there is a special diet you need to be on for 1-2 weeks and I've noticed that it is different from province-to-province and by doctor/clinic.

Here is the link - http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/on/

Kbro1806
on 12/27/18 8:39 pm

Maybe things have changed a bit. She gets 100 surgeries a year through Richmond. She picks who gets them. She does before and after follow ups and no Garrett wellness. I also had the option to go to a surgeon in Burnaby, she doesn't have as many spots there. She put me on saxenda, gave me enough freebies for 6 months and said she would give me more when those ran out. I ended up being allergic to it so have a ton in my fridge just sitting there.

Metamorph1959
on 12/27/18 8:25 pm

I called Richmond today to find out where I am on the wait list, and the receptionist emphasized that it's a 2-1/2 to 3 year wait these days (so 1-1/2 to 2 years for me). That's for the *orientation*, which everybody has to do, and for which the date is strictly on the basis of when your referral was received.

After the orientation, you have to complete a program at the Garratt Wellness Centre and then go for a bunch of medical tests and have a bunch of appointments with various and sundry professionals before you can get an appointment with one of the surgeons (i.e., Drs. Nguyen, Sampath and Yorke, not Dr. Zentner) to get approval for surgery.

What I'm guessing from Dr. Zentner telling you you'd be "fast-tracked" through Richmond is that if you complete a program with her, you may not have to do the Garratt Wellnes Centre program before being sent for all the tests and appointments you'll need to have before surgery. You still have a 2-1/2 to 3 year wait for the orientation and then I'm guessing at least another 2 months until the consult with the surgeon.

It's a long, slow process...

Metamorph1959
on 12/26/18 11:38 am

Well, good luck. She said I was a good candidate, and I thought she was wonderful, too, until I started gaining weight by reducing my carbs beyond what I had already done and eating more meat to get more protein... Just don't make that mistake. She doesn't have much to offer beyond (1) Victoza, if you can afford it, (2) low-carb / high-protein, if it works for you, and (3) surgery. Be sure, also, to read up thoroughly about surgery -- especially about the chances of regain -- because she does not help at all with the mental health aspects of obesity.

There's a new drug that has been approved in Canada, Contrave. It's likely to be as expensive as Victoza, but it's a combination of 2 generic drugs, bupropion and naltrexone, and she might be willing to prescribe those now that Contrave has been approved (it hadn't been when I last saw her). However, naltrexone is still quite expensive, despite being a generic drug.

Nice that she's offering options for patients who don't live in Vancouver. That's new, too.

Nice, too, that she's suggesting fast-tracking you through Richmond, as she wouldn't do anything about the fact that a year after she agreed to refer me there, I found out that she hadn't done so...

Kbro1806
on 12/26/18 10:16 am

It went really well, she thinks I'm a good candidate, I did orientation via Skype so I didn't have to come down. My follow up appt is being done over the phone. I have to come down in February to see her in person. Sounds like I am going to be fastracked through Richmond. She was lovely, I have read so many negative comments on her. She has been fantastic.

Metamorph1959
on 12/25/18 1:30 am
Topic: Ali Zentner / Fraser Health Authority

Okay, I found this:

"In 2015, Ali became the Medical Director of the Vancouver Island Bariatric Program and built the program into a multidisciplinary bariatric program which now supervises the bariatric surgeries of over 200 patients annually. After three years as director she moved on to establish a similar bariatric program within Fraser Health region."

Ali Zentner -- Revolution Medical Clinic

Seems, though, that the Fraser Health program is a deep, dark secret... If anybody reading this is interested, it might be worth a call to her office if you want a shorter wait until surgery. As for me, I'll wait.

Most Active