Recent Posts

winter_jayne
on 7/7/16 6:10 pm
Topic: Realistic Goals

Hi everyone! Sure is quiet here!

So I am 2 months post-orientation, and they say my first appointment will be in about 6 weeks (no date yet but I talked to Michelle) I am busy reading, tracking, saying goodbye to alcohol and coffee (BOOO) and working on the psychology of how I got here.. 

In things I have read, they keep saying that people lose 60-80% of their excess weight, but I wonder if that is a realistic goal for me to have? Or expectation rather. I have never been close to a healthy weight (even as an infant/toddler/child/teen, I was ALWAYS in the obese range) I guess, it is scary to imagine actually hitting that goal.. Has anyone else ever thought of that, pre-surgery? I guess my biggest concern isn't if I get there, but what that's going to feel like when I weigh less that I did as a 10 year old. Currently working on how my family relationships are going to change, since everyone I have ever known knows me as a "big girl" 

Thoughts?Advice? 

Win

Bcal2015
on 6/27/16 6:46 pm
RNY on 07/11/16
Topic: RE: Bariatric Help in Vancouver/Victoria

Ive been to both Dr Vala for a consult and have been going to Medical Weight Management and its exactly as Heather has described.

Dr Vala wanted to charge me $2900 for his program.  Medical Weight Management is covered by your MSP and they are excellent.  The goal is to get you changing your habits and lifestyle so that you can stop gaining weight and live a healthier life.  There is no judgement and they are really their to help. Its similar to what is offered at Garrett Wellness (which is the group in conjunction with the Richmond Surgeons). I think its actually a bit more comprehensive.  Dr Lyon works closely with the surgeons in Richmond.  So it helps speed things along in Richmond. Once he feels that you are ready for surgery, he will refer you to Richmond and things can happen very quickly after that as long as you prove to the Garrett Team that you are ready.   Good luck on your journey.

JROBERT45
on 6/24/16 6:38 pm
Topic: RE: Info for anyone travelling for Surgery in BC

Hi!  Jill

My husband and I traveled to Victoria on the TAP program yesterday.  It took some doing because the system did not auto generate a confirmation number for the paperwork.  This meant that I had to go through the call center listed on the back of the pink TAP form.  Both the front line staff and the supervisor were obnoxiously rude, but do not let them intimidate you!  Good Luck!   Joyce

Heather L.
on 6/21/16 3:58 pm - Coquitlam, Canada
VSG on 03/26/15
Topic: RE: Richmond Bariatric Program: What was your timeline?

1)How long from the first call until the orientation?: I think I ready on a post, around 2 weeks?  My orientation was 3 weeks after the first call.

2)How long after the orientation was your consult with the surgeon?   Five months.

3)How long after the consult with the surgeon were you booked for surgery?  We  booked my surgery that same day.

4)How prepared were you when you started the program?  I was very prepared. I'd been reading the OH forums, blogs and all the books I could during the entire 15 months between my referral the the call for orientation.

5)Once they identify you are "ready" what happens next?  You don't get the call to meet the surgeon until they deem you ready.  That's pretty much the very last thing you do.

VSG Mar 26, 2015 Dr. Sharadh Sampath -- 5'3" -- 47YO -- HW: 294 - SW: 261 - CW: 192 - GW: 175
Bi-lateral Brachioplasty May 8, 2017 Dr. Owen Reid
Lower Body Lift Oct 2, 2017 Dr. Owen Reid

"Weight is lost in kitchens, health is gained in gyms." - Dr. Yoni Freedhoff

heatherisshrinking.tumblr.com

winter_jayne
on 6/18/16 4:20 pm
Topic: RE: Orientation!!

So!! I had my orientation in May, and have done all the bloodwoork and sleep tests. I called her to see if they got them all and she said its about 2 months until my first appointment. :) It's slow but in the right direction! 

I journal every. single. day. I have made an effort to be more active, I did the Craving Change course and have been really working hard on how I got here in the first place. I am almost happy the wait is long, single there is so much work to do.

kfalkus
on 6/16/16 5:04 pm
Topic: RE: Had my orientation on June 9th !

I don't know, I went to Victoria for the Orientation on June 9th, 2016, and they said anywhere up to 1.5 yrs more I think.

Mjdvan
on 6/16/16 3:45 pm
Topic: RE: Had my orientation on June 9th !

That's awesome! How much longer are you going to have to wait?

kfalkus
on 6/15/16 8:37 pm
Topic: Had my orientation on June 9th !

I am so happy, I finally had my orientation after 2 long years.  I have been watching Youtube videos for the past 4 months on the procedures and can't wait to get things rolling. I was a little disappointed with how much longer I may have to wait but I am determined to do everything that is required of me and more! 

Mjdvan
on 6/14/16 6:45 pm
Topic: RE: Richmond Bariatric Program: What was your timeline?

Hey there 

I was just accepted Friday June 10 and they told my doctor's office the wait is 18-24 month for consultation. I wrote the office to see if they had any advice on what to do while waiting and received a reply from the receptionist that canned response said it is an msp program if you're referred you will be contacted. The wait is 2 years 

StephanieAnn
on 6/9/16 6:56 pm
Topic: Richmond Bariatric Program: What was your timeline?

Hello Beautiful's.

I have been attempting to track down a realistic timeline from the time you were called to start the program to when the surgery happens. 

I understand it is a "first come first serve" basis until your called, then a "first ready first served" after.  I want to learn about your experience, since everyone is so different.

1)How long from the first call until the orientation?: I think I ready on a post, around 2 weeks?

2)How long after the orientation was your consult with the surgeon?

3)How long after the consult with the surgeon were you booked for surgery?

4)How prepared were you when you started the program? 

5)Once they identify you are "ready" what happens next?

Thanks so much everyone. I truly appreciate your time. 

Much love and support to those on this journey

Cheers

Most Active