Recent Posts

Graymatter
on 10/3/16 3:04 pm
VSG on 09/13/16
Topic: RE: Surgery this Tuesday!

I can't even tell you how well everything has gone!

Surgery (the first time I've ever been in hospital to have something removed that I didn't get to take home with me) was not as scary as I thought. My stay in hospital was short and I was up taking little walks in the hallway early in the morning after surgery day. I was released late that afternoon. I've had minimal discomfort and stopped taking pain medication within a few days. My incisions, etc have all healed well and I haven't had any complications. My only real complaint involves my "process of elimination" (to put it delicately). This has started to resolve itself with the help of docusate sodium, diluted prune juice and the introduction of thin puréed fruit sauces. 

One thing that happened about two and a half weeks after surgery was that my blood pressure went down dramatically. Normal for me is about 128/84 (on medication). I was feeling a bit weak and light-headed one morning but luckily I happened to have an appointment with my family doctor that same day. When I mentioned it to him he took my BP and it was 89/53. The result is that I'm off blood pressure medication for the first time in about 15 years (pending monitoring). 

I'm just about to enter the puréed foods stage of the post-op diet, so I'm looking forward to being able to have a little more variety. I have to say that it has been a struggle to meet the 3 meals/3 snacks/3-4 cups of water plus meet the minimum protein requirement plus waiting half an hour between eating and drinking.   I always seem to be short one snack and a few grams of protein by the end of the day, no matter what I do. (I can't seem to get the plain whey powder to "disappear" in soups).  I'm a little worried about how this is all going to work out when I go back to work next week but just like everything thing else, I'm sure it's not as bad as I think it's going to be and I'll figure it out. 

I have lost almost 70 lbs (45 of it was before surgery, since entering the program) to date. I'm able to walk farther than I have in years without pain in my hips, knees, back, etc. I am sleeping better thanks to being on CPAP after a diagnosis of severe sleep apnea (which probably wouldn't have happened if not for the Bariatric Program). 

And my rings fit! 

believefsc
on 10/3/16 10:43 am

Hi there, can you give us an update if you feel up for it?  How did it go, how are you feeling and what are you doing to keep yourself entertained?!

I'm just starting all my appointments with that Program.  I had my first Dietician appointment last week and will see the Occupational Therapist on October 24.  I would love to know how it went for you.

D

Msmaryk_vsg
on 9/14/16 1:48 pm
VSG on 09/06/16
Topic: RE: Beyond Ho

Hi there :)

Sorry it took so long to get back to you... I am an open book and found it hard to find BC related info so ask away. 

The first time I came down was for the initial group orientation. From there they order some tests (blood work, sleep study) and I could do all of those locally. The next time I came down was closer to surgery and they grouped all of my appointments together. I'm pretty sure I did 3 in 2 days (OT, dietician, surgeon). I then came down about a month later for more tests (bone density, ultrasound, scope, and dietician) I have had regular phone appointments through the process, and both my surgeon and endocrinologist have agreed to do phone consults. Do keep in mind that you have to come several days before surgery for appointments and they ask you to stay a week after surgery to make sure there are no complications, so plan to stay on the coast about 2 weeks. 

I do feel like I have to mention that I was told by the team that my case was atypical in that the appointments moved so fast. I was very ready and did extensive work in the 2 year wait for orientation to make myself a better candidate. If you want to know more, let me know and we can chat :)

Hope that helps!

Kyla

Heather M.
on 9/13/16 12:48 am
Topic: RE: Had my orientation on June 9th !

Wow how exciting! I am considering Mexico too. How does one get the ball rolling?  How much does it cost?

liltrubl
on 9/12/16 6:11 pm
Topic: RE: Vancouver area bariatric surgery-friendly primary doctors?

If you do have the surgery done else where, you might consider joining the Medical Weight Management Centre in Coquitlam for support afterwards, I know that they are savvy regarding the surgeries and also offer diet and mental health advise. Good luck to you in whichever you choose. :)

AnImperfectAngel
on 9/10/16 7:57 pm - Victoria, Canada
VSG on 05/30/17

Congrats! So exciting.

Good luck with everything and keep us posted!

Rhiannon

High W: 265 Surgery W: 208 Current W: 160 Goal W: 135

VSG Surgery May 30, 2017

Graymatter
on 9/9/16 7:43 pm
VSG on 09/13/16
Topic: Surgery this Tuesday!

Said goodbye to my desk and hello to my recliner for the next month. I'm lucky enough to live 10 minutes away from Richmond Hospital and feeling incredibly grateful for everything and everyone who has had a role in my journey so far. I'm looking forward to a healthier, more active lifestyle and being able to wear my rings again!

sharibear
on 9/9/16 2:39 am
Topic: RE: Got my date for revision!

WOW! That is great. I was told no surgeons in BC would ever give revision surgeries as BC med does not allow them. This is good news. I had surgery in 2010 but didn't do very well even though I followed rules. I asked about revision but was told in BC revisions are not possible. What made you decide on a revision?

AnImperfectAngel
on 9/8/16 3:20 pm - Victoria, Canada
VSG on 05/30/17
Topic: RE: Surgery Date!

Praise the Lord! So happy for you and it's nice to know that it really does eventually happen.

Rhiannon

High W: 265 Surgery W: 208 Current W: 160 Goal W: 135

VSG Surgery May 30, 2017

rabgal
on 9/8/16 1:55 am
Topic: Surgery Date!

I've finally received a surgery date of November 7th with Doctor Lam.  Anyone else going in around that time?

I'm pretty excited - almost 4 years since my doctor sent in my referral.  The wait has been brutal but I've learned a lot along the way.

Most Active