Recent Posts

jaynak
on 3/17/12 3:30 am - Canada
Topic: RE: Not sure if I trust Dr. Sampath? And Smoking Cessation.
I'm sorry you're not having the experience that you want.  I have had a really good experience with him and would fully trust him to do any surgery that I require.  I do know of a few other patients of his that have not had the best experiences with him, but it seems that most of his patients are happy with him and his approach.

I think that for most of my appointments he has been at least a little behind.  I always just assumed that it was because he was taking his time and being thorough and answering questions, I know that he's always given me lots of time to ask questions.

I'm not a smoker either (I had quite a few years before seeing him), but he did make it clear to me at my first experience that any of his patients that smoke are required to quit prior to surgery.  It really is to make this surgery as safe as possible that this is required.  I also believe that since he is getting so busy he is expecting his patients to show that they can commit to all of the things that he is asking so that he knows he is operating on someone that is likely to succeed.  He has told me that he has refused to do this operation on patients that come to him and are obviously not ready to make the required changes.

donmarie
on 3/17/12 1:38 am - Canada
VSG on 06/11/12
Topic: RE: Not sure if I trust Dr. Sampath? And Smoking Cessation.
I'm in the process of being worked up for bariatric surgery with Dr. Sampath as well. My experience has been the complete opposite of what you are explaining. I don't smoke but it was made clear by him on my first appointment that if I did the expectation was to quit.  Yes, he has been late for my last appointment but I must be honest, he isn't the first doctor to have an office that is running behind schedule that I have experienced. I have found his information clear, concise and consistent with me.  He remembered things we had discussed at my first appt during my most recent appt last week.  My referrals have all run smoothly and I have the utmost faith in his skills as a surgeon.
I'm sorry your experience has not been as positive but for myself I feel that I am in very good hands in choosing Dr.Sampath as my bariatric surgeon.
Best of luck.
Meowtimesthree
on 3/16/12 12:02 pm
Topic: Not sure if I trust Dr. Sampath? And Smoking Cessation.
Hi Everyone,

I'm just wondering if there are other smokers out there going through the Bariatric Surgery assessment process with Dr. Sampath?  Basically, I'm not sure I'm getting the correct info from him.  His rules have changed since I first started seeing him in fall 2011, including the stop-smoking thing.  The first time I saw him I told him I was a smoker and he shrugged and said it would be a good idea to quit, but seemed relatively ambivalent.  Now I'm being told I'll be put through a urine test and an over-night sleep study to confirm I've stopped smoking.  Is anyone else going through this with him?  I'm not sure if he really has my best interests in mind.

For example:
He has consistently given me conflicting information
He has forgotten to put thru referrals two and three times, delaying this process by over 3 months
He obviously doesn't read my file before my appointments and asks questions that should be on page one of my file.
He is unfriendly to my family.
He has NEVER been on time for an appointment and has not once apologized, or thanked me for my time.

The PAL people and other members of his team have been great.  But, Sampath is the one who will be cutting me open.  I am not sure he is someone I can trust.  I need this surgery, and I know I'm ready for it (all the other members of his team seem to think so) but I feel like he doesn't actually care about me.  Like he's too important to care.  Am I wrong in expecting him to at least appear like he cares?  Is he someone I can trust with a scalpel and my naked body?

So I guess that's two questions:
What are other smokers' experinces like with Sampath?
Can I trust him?

Thanks, friends!
henner33
on 3/16/12 11:34 am - Canada
Topic: RE: Surgery date looming and I'm feeling unsure...
 Hello Heather,
 I had sleeve surgery last June and Dr Nguyen is my surgeon too. I know exactly what you are feeling and it is perfectly normal. For some of us, the first couple days are pretty rough right after surgery. BUT with that being said, I would do it again in a heartbeat! I was nervous and kept wondering if I was making the right decision but I will honestly tell you it definitely is worth it. I am almost 9 months out now and I have lost 103 lbs. I feel fantastic and don't regret a thing. Sure my eating has drastically changed, and sure I had to give up a few things for good such as soda, but I can't believe how amazing I feel and that makes it easy. Just relax and make sure you have things on hand that you will need so that while you recover you aren't stressing out about that stuff. For the first 2-3 weeks you will be on liquids still so having lots of protein shake (mix or pre-made), yogurt, skim milk, sugarfree juice (if you like) etc will make life easy.  I prefer greek yogurt for its high protein and having a glass of milk  is an easy way to get some protein in too. Early on you are very concerened with protein, aim for 60-80 grams per day. I was having two shakes per day in the early days. Protein will help your body heal and repair after surgery. It also helps minimize hairloss which can happen to some patients afterwards.   I also recommend taking Biotin and a product called Hair and Nails (by Nature's Bounty) 2x a day. I did experience some hairloss but taking those supplements really made a difference for me. For vitamins I take 1 fish oil, 1 vitamin D, 1 vitamin C, i dose of liquid B12 in the morning, 1 vitamin D and a calcium chew at noon, and at supper I take my multi vitamin (which is actually a pre-natal vitamin for iron), vitamin D and then another calcium chew before bed. My blood work has been perfect and I feel great! Drink lots of water too. I carry an 18oz water bottle around with me constantly. If you are prepared, it will be easy to stay on track, and you will be very successful. I started exercising at 3 weeks out and I haven't stopped. This is also very important. The surgery helps control portion size, but it is still up to you to eat the right foods and exercise. Work the tool and you will Rock it!
All the best!
Cheers
Heather
Kever4Life
on 3/14/12 6:44 am - Canada
RNY on 03/26/12
Topic: Did anyone watch "The Real Skinny" on Monday?
I watched the real skinny last night (I DVR'd it), OMG it was a real eye opener. I know everyone is different but still it freaks me out! That poor girls body was like an elderly ladies (I mean really old!) body. I am so afraid of that after my weight loss and there is nothing I can do about it!

I really don't want a panni, I want to keep my belly button (I am attached to it LOL). After watching that though.....ouch! Her surgery seemed to go ok but the man....wow! His wound opened and he got a staph infection, they had to use special drains and stuff to rid him of it.

So, you either live out the rest of your life with this ugly hanging skin or take the chance and have another major surgery. I am so mad at myself for even being in this position in the first place! It is dangerous to have the excess skin as well, she had to put diaper rash cream and powder under it to prevent rashes. This has not changed my mind about the surgery, it just angers me that BC Medical doesn't automatically cover the after surgery. I am definitely going to try to get pre-approved for surgery.....I think they should have to watch these shows on obese people before and after surgery to understand what we are going through!

Sorry, that is my rant!!

Have a great day!
Linda R.
on 3/14/12 5:26 am - Prince George, Canada
VSG on 02/20/12
Topic: RE: Surgery date looming and I'm feeling unsure...
Hi Heather,

I'm Linda and I had my sleeve done on the 20th of Feb.  I was really surprised how I bounced back to feeling good.  I still have to remind myself that I'm still healing and not to do different things physically.  But I am losing weight and learning how to eat all over again. The most important thing to remember is small bites or sips and do it slowly, meaning leave time inbetween each bite or sip.  For me I find that this helps with the food or liquid going down and not haveing to much gas build up which for me is painful.  I went with purreed soups as I do like to cook.  And now I'm on to muchy foods,  Which I am doing up myself.  Veggies, and Chicken mashed and ground up with a little broth to thin them a bit are going down great.  Of course so does surgar free jello and pudding.  I tried some ground beef the other day and it gives me to much gas which causes pain so I'm leaving it alone for now.
Ive been doing up individual meals and freezing them,  This saves time and allows me to portion out the food accordingly.  I do get full on much less but having the 2 snacks helps a lot in keeping the nutrion stats up.

Just keep in mind you are never really alone on the journey,  there are a whole group of people here who will encourage and offer support.

Linda

JulieT72
on 3/14/12 4:05 am - Canada
Topic: RE: Support group in Prince George
Just for the record Saturday afternoon is better for me.I'll sure try to be there.I'll see if my friend from Vanderhoof can make it too.
Thanks 
Julie

Linda R.
on 3/14/12 1:11 am, edited 3/15/12 3:29 am - Prince George, Canada
VSG on 02/20/12
Ok All interested parties how about it. 
Which will work better for you Saturday afternoon or Sunday afternoon?
First weekend in May. (5-6)  I'll find the place you let me know aprox. who can attend.
 Get togethers are so much fun

Linda
Ps:  All those interested email me at [email protected]

Once I have an idea of how many and when is best I'll work on the details and let each person know. Linda

Heather Q.
on 3/13/12 5:35 pm - Vancouver, Canada
VSG on 04/10/12
Topic: Surgery date looming and I'm feeling unsure...
Hi all!

My names Heather and I'm scheduled for the sleeve on April 10th. All my final appointments are scheduled for next week RGH on the 20th, Nooshin on the 21st and finally,  Dr. Zentner on 23rd. I've been reading my "Weight loss surgery for dummies", been trying various protein shakes,  etc ..basically trying to get " ducks in a row".

The only thing I feel I know for sure is that every body's journey is different and that there's so much to know and deal with. I guess I feel a little overwhelmed and unsure at times. Is that normal? Any help or ideas on ways to deal with this? It just bugs me when some things are out of my control. Would love some feedback from those who've been there and done that. Than k you!

bamf
on 3/13/12 10:12 am - Burnaby, BC, Canada
Hi:
I will be back in PG between May 3rd & 10th, if you can set-up a casual "meet & greet" at a coffee shop, or someplace convenient for as many interested weight loss support people, as possible, I will make myself available for support, just let me know when & where.
Thanks, Barb

Most Active