Recent Posts

shanti4758
on 10/29/12 9:43 am
Topic: RE: Will It ever happen?

Got sleeved in mexico last week. The best $4500 I ever spent!

suzanneb
on 10/27/12 3:41 pm - North Vancouver, Canada
Topic: November and December Vancouver WLS support meeting

Please note we have changed the November meeting date as follows and December meeting date will remain the same.

Hello everyone

Just to let everyone know our next weight loss surgery support meetings for

Our November wls support meeting is Nov 08 2012 from 7:00 pm til 8:30 pm in the Sister Germaine Roy Conference Room. Our December meeting date will remain the same on Thursday December 6th

at Mt. St. Joseph's Hospital, 7:00 to 8:30 pm
(use Prince Edward Street entrance) take the elevator to 1st floor, turn left come a few doors down to Sister Germaine Roy conference room.

Our meetings are open to pre-op, post-op, spouses, support people or anyone that's wanting to know about weight loss surgery and needing support.

Any questions please email us at [email protected]

Hope to see you all at the next meeting.

Suzanne

wlssupport Vancouver ([email protected])

20/09/2012

wls monthyl email reminder list

Vancouver WLS support meeting reminder for November and December. Please note we have changed the date of the November meeting,the November meeting

Sharkeatyou
on 10/25/12 10:58 am
Topic: RE: Attn: All patients in BC, pre-op and post-op!!!
Update
I received this letter today from the ministry:
Thank you for your email of October 4, 2012, regarding funding for bariatric surgery. I am responding on behalf of the Honourable Dr. Margaret MacDiarmid, Minister of Health.

I understand that waiting for surgery can be a frustrating experience for patients and their families.

I want to assure you that the Ministry of Health (the Ministry) understands that obesity is a serious health issue. Our first priority is that the people who urgently require bariatric surgery receive the treatment as quickly as possible.

As I am sure you are aware, bariatric surgery is considered a last resort for people who have previously tried all other forms of weight loss. Facilities undertaking this type of high risk surgery require a skilled medical team committed to this extensive pre and post operative involvement as well as specialized equipment to properly care for patients.

Obesity and associated chronic conditions, such as diabetes and heart disease, are on the rise province-wide. As a result, the demand for bariatric surgeries is also increasing. One of the challenges we are facing is the availability of physicians with the training required for this highly specialized surgery. There are currently very few surgeons who are able to perform this type of surgery in British Columbia.

At the Ministry's request, the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) has developed a comprehensive business case for a provincial bariatric surgery strategy. A report has been submitted for consideration and is currently being reviewed by the Ministry.

To alleviate wait time pressures, the Ministry has provided PHSA with funding for 152 additional bariatric surgeries through Vancouver Island Health Authority and Vancouver Coastal Health Authority over the past two years. The health authorities are responsible for ensuring that patients are selected from the wait list according to their urgency and time on the wait list. So far, this has resulted in a decrease in the number of patients on the wait list by nearly 30 percent.

Work is currently underway to develop clear criteria for bariatric surgery wait list management. The next steps include creating a plan to manage the obesity continuum of care and addressing the ongoing and increasing demand for bariatric surgery across the province.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write and express your concerns. I appreciate the opportunity to respond.

Sincerely,

Teri Collins
Executive Director
shutterfly
on 10/22/12 5:09 am - vancouver, Canada
karen26
on 10/19/12 5:04 am - Canada
Topic: RE: 1 week since surgery
Hi well I am now 1 month out and am doing pretty good. Wow what a learning curve.Just figuring out what works for me. Water has been my biggest challenge. I just can't seem to get much in or any fluids except milk. I have tried teas,coffee all sorts of flavoured waters and anything else I can think of. For the moment it seems to be ice water that I never enjoyed before. Still only at about 4-5 cups a day. I introduced more carbs in my diet as I was laking in energy, after just a liitle bit of exercise I would get clamy and very tired.  Also hit a stall after losing 20 lbs. this month. But I am back on the losing side again. So switching up the diet seamed to work for me. Well I am off to find something to wear everything is big yea. Take care.
Leanne43
on 10/18/12 1:07 pm - , Canada
RNY on 06/04/12
Topic: RE: X-Post: 2 years since my VSG - Pics - Long
wow you look fantastic, i can't wait to get down there myself i wish you all the best with your maintenence and hope you don't have much weight gain i know that's one of the downfalls of this surgery is weight gain after so much time but i know excersise is key!!!! all the best

shanti4758
on 10/18/12 12:09 pm
Victoria with tang but I gave up and am now getting sleeved in mexico next week.
Leanne43
on 10/18/12 11:45 am - , Canada
RNY on 06/04/12
Topic: RE: third party insurance
someone on my facebook group just told  us after there visit with Dr. Nguyen  that the health minister doesn't want to cut funding totally. they want to cut the funding in half so instead of  80 surgeries a year that they've done in Richmond this year they want to cut it to 40 next fiscal year, which means the beginning of the fiscal year is April. Apparently they go back and fourth with funding so things could change next year and they'll get there funding back nothings  written in stone so don't panic everyone.

Leanne43
on 10/18/12 11:06 am - , Canada
RNY on 06/04/12
are you having your surgery in victoria or in vancouver?

nano1
on 10/17/12 3:22 pm - Port Coquitlam, Canada
Topic: RE: 1 week since surgery
Karen, I was just wondering how you doing?
Most Active