Recent Posts

EKC
on 12/13/12 5:56 pm - Canada
Topic: Help - out of towner

Just wondering how the Garrett program works and how does it work for out of towners? I read the attachment for the orientation and it says it;s a six week course. I live in Kamloops and work a full time job as well as school and this is not financially or time wise possible to go down every week to do this ( and adding the fact the roads are dangerous) . It's going to be hard enough financially to do all the other appts. Just wondering how it works for the people out of town? The girl at the surgeon's office didn't seem sure and the Garrett secretary didn't offer me anything.

dangerous_curves
on 12/13/12 6:41 am - Burnaby, Canada
Topic: RE: Attn: All patients in BC, pre-op and post-op!!!

This is the reason I went out of province to Alberta.  The Richmond office told me it would be up to 2 year waiting for a consultation and another 5 years for actually surgery.  That is crazy and not workable for me or most people I don't think.

Alberta has already got me on track and I meet with the surgeon in March. 6 months from initial consultation. 

Time for BC Government to WAKE UP!!!!

daisy_doo
on 12/13/12 1:28 am - Maple Ridge, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13
Topic: RE: Waitlisted... perhaps we can help each other with the uncertainty

I had my referral placed in September 2011.

My initial consultation was August 2012.

I had sleep study done early November 2012.

I met with Nooshin for the 2nd time yesterday, she seem satisfied with my results; same for Robin and John.

I'm now waiting for surgery date; the comment was made by someone at Garrat Wellness to look forward to a surgery date Jan/Feb 2013.

bamf
on 12/7/12 2:23 pm - Burnaby, BC, Canada
Topic: RE: Waitlisted... perhaps we can help each other with the uncertainty

Get a head start by reading Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies, Do research regarding weight loss surgeries (RNY or Sleeve = covered by MSP) so that you have a lot of information and are ready to make your choice, and contact Nooshin at the Garratt Wellness Centre in Richmond to get started taking Winnig at Losing.  Also, start keeping track of all your exercise (walking, etc., required 30 minutes/day), start a journal to keep track of everything you eat/drink, and your weight recorded once weekly.  When you have completed all of the above, you will have started losing some weight, then phone Dr. Sampath's office or email him, to let him know that you have completed all of the above, to show him that you are committed to his program which will get you into an in office consultation (ahead of others).  I know of several patients that had their surgery within 4 to 6  months of first consultation, after following the above.

Dr. Sampath did my surgery (RNY) on October 3/11.  I have lost 131 pounds and have been maintaining that weight for the past 4 months.  Good luck on your journey.

suzanneb
on 12/5/12 1:16 pm - North Vancouver, Canada
Topic: RE: December Vancouver weight loss surgery support group meeting
If you are planing on attending tomorrow night's Vancouver weight loss surgery support meeting on December 6th, if you can email us at [email protected]. Please be aware that the room has changed for
tomorrow nights meeting, meeting is still at Mt. Saint Joseph's Hospital, Harvest Conference Room A, Room 310, Level 3 - Medicine

Thanks

[email protected]
PattiS
on 12/3/12 2:58 pm
Topic: RE: Went to Mexico :)
I am doing great :) Although I am finding it challenging to get enough calories and proteins. At my last weigh-in, I have lost 32 lbs. 14 lbs was on my two week Pre-op diet. I had my A1c done 3 weeks before surgery. It was 6.3. I would love to see what it is at now.
shanti4758
on 12/3/12 12:06 pm
Topic: RE: Went to Mexico :)

Patty I am doing really well. I still have days that I decide I wont lose all my weight and that I will be the one person that the sleeve didn't work for! Good news at the doctors today, my A1c results came back and my blood sugar levels are normal at 5.5. I did not expect that so soon. 

How are you doing?

MaGraw
on 12/3/12 10:04 am - Canada
Topic: RE: Is it normal?

I think I stayed with soft food for 3 months.  But all foods should be moist for a while more.  I didn't really have a plan nor was given one!  Start with very small portions, we are all different. 

Sharkeatyou
on 12/3/12 4:05 am, edited 12/3/12 4:06 am
Topic: Waitlisted... perhaps we can help each other with the uncertainty

So I, probably like you, am going crazy with the wait times in BC.  Perhaps if you are interested we can post when we got our referral, when we got a call, and if we have had surgery.  It might help with dealing with the uncertainty.  Perhaps when I get my call, someone put their referral in after me, and now you know you may get a call in the next few months.  I hope you are interested, I will start

Asked for a referral: February 2012

Call for consultation: not yet

BMI: 51.6

Co-morbidities: none, although it is getting very hard to put my socks on now

Height: 5'6"

Weight: 320lbs

Surgeon: Dr. Sampath West coast bariatric center

only had what you are comfortable adding.  :) I hope it helps :)

obdon
on 12/2/12 4:30 pm
Topic: RE: new lap band clinic/Kelowna

please tell us more about these meetings. You can come, is it drop in

Most Active