Recent Posts

Jaw683
on 1/6/13 10:44 am - Mission, Canada
Topic: RE: surgeons for person with high bmi ?

I don't if they have the funding anymore I went to Mexico couldn't afford the 4-5 year wait even though map would pay my bmi was 52 I got sleeved dec 24 in Mexico and it went awesome I've lost 42 lbs since dec 24 

Jaw683
on 1/6/13 10:42 am - Mission, Canada
Topic: RE: surgeons for person with high bmi ?
On September 7, 2012 at 12:59 AM Pacific Time, jacjoy wrote:
Hi,

I am new to OH and I do not meet the criteria for bariatric surgery in Manitoba ( bmi of less than 47 ).  My BMI is too high.  Does anyone know of any surgeons who will work with people with a BMI of 60 ?  Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Jacqueline

Hi I just got gastric sleeve done in Tijuana Mexico and got it done with wife and daughter it was 4500 and we were very worried but did a lot of research we used dr Fernando Garcia his staff was awesome plus that included marriot hotel for 3 days and 2 in hospital and the hospital was so much cleaner in Mexico plus in bc it was a 5 year waiting list 

Tammy C.
on 1/2/13 9:22 am
Topic: 2013: 20 Funny New Year's Resolutions

2013:  20 Funny New Year's Resolutions

When it comes to New Year's resolutions, our family members and friends can get quite creative and even funny with what they resolve to do in the New Year.  Here a few good ones I have heard along the way...Oh, and a few of my own!

1.  I resolve to stop procrastinating about procrastinating!

2.  I will stop sending Facebook messages and emails to my loved ones when they are in the same room as I am!

3.  I will use my treadmill for something other than a place to hang my jacket.

4.  I will not sit at the kitchen table in my PJ's all day.  Instead, I will move my computer to my bedroom.

5.  I vow to never take a laxative and a sleeping pill on the same night!

Click here to read more!

All my best, 

Tammy Colter
Director of Media & PR
Editor-In-Chief
ObesityHelp.com
OH Magazine
suzanneb
on 12/27/12 8:19 pm - North Vancouver, Canada
Topic: Vancouver January Weight loss surgery support group January 3rd, 2013

Hello everyone,

Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and wishing every one a happy heathy New Year.

Our next meeting will be Thursday, January 3, 2013. at Mt. St. Joseph's Hospital, in Vancouver.

Please take the Prince Edward Street entrance, take the elevator up to the first floor. Take a left when you come off

the elevator. We are in the Sister Germaine Conference Room.

There are no dues, or fees, we are a weight loss surgery support group, some have had the surgery, and some are still waiting for it and some are just looking into getting surgery.

Spouses, partners, support people and family members are welcome to come to the meetings.

Hope to see you there,

Bring your thoughts, ideas, on what you want to have happen with these subjects you would like to talk about around wls surgery, so that we can get an idea from everyone and work on getting our meetings to this stage. As we want our meetings to be successful for all who come to it.

Suzanne
[email protected]

MyTurn2012
on 12/27/12 9:41 am - Canada
VSG on 04/24/15
Topic: Vancouver Island WLS patients

Hi..I'm wondering how many pre and post op patients there are here on VI?  It would be great to start a support group for people north of Duncan.  I'm going back to see my surgeon next month in Victoria, my 2nd preop visit. I've lost 15 lbs but worry this is not enough..I'm feeling a little lost with the expectations pre surgery. I've had all the tests done already..essentially waiting for a surgery date. I began this process Oct 2011, saw the surgeon in June..had all the tests in August and saw the NUT in Oct.

I didn't find the NUT all that helpful, no real direction as to what I should be concentrating on. I am on MFP..it's been a learning curve and a bit of procrastination...I think all of this uncertainty has played heavily on my mind.  Now I'm in a bit of panic mode..second guessing what was expected of me. The surgeon didn't say I want you to lose 50 lbs by Jan and here's how to do it..it was more a off hand comment we'll see what you do on you own.  I am on OH at least every day if not 2x's..have read/researched lots...I am planning on the VGS.   I think I would have been much more successful if I had support and guidance.

bamf
on 12/20/12 10:58 am - Burnaby, BC, Canada
Topic: RE: Help - out of towner

Email the surgeons.  Find email address on their website at West Coast Bariatrics.

PattiS
on 12/18/12 3:58 am
Topic: RE: Went to Mexico :)

Hi

Good to hear you are feeling good.  I also had my surgery in Puerto Vallarta, at the San Javier Hospital.  I had mine with Dr Alejandro Lopez.  He was great. I had my surgery on Friday November 16.  On Monday I was out shopping for a little while.  On Tuesday and Wednesday I was out doing lots of touring around and shopping.  I have felt great since the surgery.  I just started back on all foods.  Staying away from starchy carbs.  Had salad for the first time last night.  It was great, even though I couldn't eat much of it.  I weighed myself yesterday and I have lost 26 pounds since surgery, plus the 14 pounds pre-op equals 40 pounds gone :)  I haven't been had any head hunger.  I don't struggle with "should I, no I shouldn't" conversations in my head anymore.  There is no more "I'll start the diet tomorrow".  I have no problem baking goodies for Christmas.   I am so glad I had this surgery.  I have no regrets.

Good Luck to you!  You'll do great!

neyznewlife
on 12/17/12 6:20 pm
Topic: RE: Went to Mexico :)

Hi, Where in Mexico did you have your surgery. I had my surgery this morning in Peurto Vallarta with Dr. Joya So far so good. Would love to hear more of your journey:)

Kimmer75
on 12/15/12 8:53 am - London, Canada
Topic: Question about Provincial coverage
I'm from Ontario, and OHIP will pay for RNY and VSG, but the sleeve has requirements to be covered. It isn't our choice.
I was wondering if anyone could tell me or point me towards the information in BC. I'm trying to fight OHIP to get the VSG because I believe it's the best choice for me. I'd like to compare provincial coverage and requirements.

Thanks in advance!!

Referal: November 2011 to Windsor Assessment Center, Orientation: February 9th, 2012, Request Transfer to Hamilton: March 23, 2012, Transfer madness for April, May, June, Abdominal Ultrasound: August 1, 2012, Dietician & SW: October 3, 2012,
Scope: November 8, 2012, Internist: November 14, 2012, Surgeon: November 27th, 2012

Surgery: April 10, 2013. VSG and gallbladder removed.  

shutterfly
on 12/14/12 2:21 am - vancouver, Canada
Topic: RE: Waitlisted... perhaps we can help each other with the uncertainty
i just got a call from my doctors, the wait is 2-2.5 years and 4.5-5 in Victoria.

severely disappointed, gonna contact garrette wellness today to start the process.
Most Active