(deactivated member)
on 4/30/13 2:32 am

Today I met with my GP and asked her for a referral to see Dr. Sampath for a VGS...she said yes :) I am very excited about this! I've read that wait times are long so during that time I will read the books and start my food diary...

To all of you BC posters "Thank you"...I'm learning a lot :)

Sharkeatyou
on 5/2/13 12:53 pm

Hi!

Welcome,

To be honest this forum is extremely quiet, and I find it a little frustrating at times.  Check out Verticalsleevetalk.com as well, it is very informative!  I check back here often for new potential updates, but it is really quiet! Cheers! If I ever get my call (lol), I will update everyone!

:)

passel
on 6/8/13 6:37 am
Hi,
Don't want to be a drag, but my family doc just referred me to Dr. Sampath also, and said that several of her patirnts had great experiences and excellent care with him. The problem? BCMSP restricts the number of WLS surgeries so much, that it will be 2 1/2 yrs before they will even see me for my first consult. I have a friend who has been waiting for a total of four years for her sleeve surgery.
So I have decided to suck it up, find the money somehow, and go to the US or Mexico.
Best of luck with your journey and may everything meet your highest expectations.
Passel
Peanut1
on 6/24/13 3:50 am

Hi Passel,

Have you decided where in Mexico you are going and what Dr. will perform the surgery?  Im looking for recommendations in Mexico for the Vertical Sleeve.  Any info would help. 

Thanks

passel
on 6/24/13 5:00 am
Hi Peanut1,
I've now done really intensive research for the past 4 weeks, looking for the most skilled surgeon with the best modern and sterile facilities. It turned out that my preference was for a surgeon who practiced within a modern full-service hospital in case of any surprises. And I judged my surgeon by the number of sleeves he/she has performed, his success rate and the quality of the responses his organization made to my enquiries.
In the end this came down to Dr. Joya who practices in Puerto Vallarta in the Amerimed hospital, which is only 4 yrs old. I've been to PV before and really like the town and its way less scary re drug gangs than the border towns like Tijuana, etc. His contact person, Gerald, answers emails within minutes (not sure he ever sleeps) and is very clear on the medical and financial info he provides.
With Dr Joya, you can also buy into a fund ($500) that covers you up to $10,000 in extra medical services in case of complications. Not insurance, but kinda like insurance. He is also offering special rates right now. If you make a deposit on surgery during the month of June, you can book your surgery for anytime during 2013. The June rate is 25% off. A Sleeve package, including hotel and all the trimmings is under $7,000.
BTW, I also ckecked with my PCP and she is willing to assist me in aftercare. And I am getting tested (EKG, bloodwork, etc) to ensure I am good to go for surgery. It's a little weird to have to think about these things, given that we're so used to excellent care just falling into our laps here in BC, but I have a doctor in the family who is telling me what to check for.
Hope all this helps and good luck on your journey. I just know you'll be successful!
Peanut1
on 6/26/13 5:44 am

Thanks Passel for the info, it has been really helpful!

mabrenan
on 7/6/13 3:47 pm, edited 7/6/13 3:50 pm - Canada

I too have decided to go out of the country (Mexi****ould not see waiting for 3-4 years.  My surgery if scheduled for July 29th in Puerto Vallarta with Dr. Joya - I did a lot of research before making my decision and feel he is the best doctor for my - Gastric Bypass - surgery

Margaret

passel
on 7/7/13 5:36 am
! Congratulations Margaret and all best wishes for grear success! Would you pls share your Dr Joya experience with us, once you have returned? I'm going to see Dr Joya for Sleeve surgery in late Oct, and woul love to have a preview.
You will have a great experience, I just know
Cheers,
chopper57
on 8/7/13 2:37 am

Thanks for all the info, I think I have decided on Dr. Joya also.  I see your posts are old and wonder how everyone is doing and if anyone has had surgery.

Peanut1
on 8/8/13 4:03 am

I have just received confirmation of my surgery date with Dr Joya as Oct 28th.   It;s a bit scary now that it's a reality, but very exciting as well! 

Most Active