Is it normal?

J R.
on 12/1/12 3:27 am

Hello;  I'm 11 days post op from a RNY.  I was anticipating all the challenges after surgery that i'd read about from other posters... vomiting, discomfort, dumping etc....  I haven't had any issues at all, except with being bored of eating mushy food :-).  Just wondering if there are any other RNYers out there that didn't have any issues at all..... I'm starting to wonder if it's working haha.  I guess I expected success to equal all the nightmares I'd read about.  I was so prepared for that.    Thanks kindly!!

MaGraw
on 12/1/12 9:05 am - Canada

I am 5 years post op and I have never had any of those issues.  I did not even know about them until I found OH 2 years ago.  I too was getting bored of mushy food but I lost 130 pounds and I am maintaining that still!  You are still early out but you'll be fine.  Don't go looking for problems.  Keep your blood work regular and listen to your body.  Drink plenty and keep your protein up.  Good luck, healthy mind, healthy body!

J R.
on 12/2/12 5:59 am

Thank you for your encouragement.  Do you happen to remember when you moved from the soft/pureed stage to normal food?  thanks kindly!

MaGraw
on 12/3/12 10:04 am - Canada

I think I stayed with soft food for 3 months.  But all foods should be moist for a while more.  I didn't really have a plan nor was given one!  Start with very small portions, we are all different. 

Wendy-Louise
on 11/28/14 6:07 am - Canada

Hi I am 5 weeks out and was exactly the same as you I had barely any discomfort at all after surgery right through full fluids, was starting to wonder if they did anything to me. I was excited to get up first morning of 3rd week looking forward to having an egg for breakfast instead of oatmeal. Ugh! it felt like I ate a rock. That whole 3rd week was a wreck. But my 4th and 5th week have been great. Just start slow on new foods, I know everyone says that but you really do need to take it slow. Good luck and enjoy the new slimmer you. And so what if you throw up I used to really really hate it but now if I need to I just let it happen and it always feels better after.

Most Active