Support group in Sooke or Victoria area

doglover33
on 8/8/12 7:21 am - Kamloops, Canada
I am moving to the island in a few weeks and am hoping to connect with a group who visits regularly in the Sooke or Victoria area.  I am pre op and hoping to have surgery with Dr Malik.

Does anyone know of any groups in that area?
DivineMissM
on 8/8/12 2:00 pm - Canada
I live in Langford and am scheduled to have surgery with Dr. Malik.  I dont' know of a group, but will find out and post back here...   let's talk!
doglover33
on 8/9/12 9:18 am - Kamloops, Canada
Awesome!  When is your surgery?  I go see Dr Malik in Sept - 2nd visit.  I have lost a bit of weight since I saw him 6 months ago, but I am not sure if it ill be enough for him.  I am a little worried about it.  Plus, I still struggle with eating emotionally, which is why I need the support.  How are you dealing with it all?
DivineMissM
on 8/9/12 10:11 am - Canada
 My surgery is booked for Nov 6th.. yahoo!   I have been really trying to lose weight.  He does like you to lose 10% of your body weight... but the reality is that what he wants to see is you COMMITTING  and really trying to lose it..  have you been keeping a diary?  I have a smartphone and use fitnesspal, which is an app that allows me to keep track of what I eat, calories etc..  its a great little thing..  I eat 1200 cal/day.  
As well, fitnesspal.com is a great site to use.  you should check it out.   I have been going thru a lot of emotional stuff..  divorce, cheating husband, you know all that kind of stuff.. 
Sometimes I just want to eat a liter of ice cream for dinner!!!  ahhaha.. 
I dont' belong to any group, but if there is one in town, I can speak to Malik's personal assist ( Sherri) and she would know... the entire office there is great.   
I have such confidence in Malik.  He is a great surgeon.. he's young and hyper but he seriously cares and is technically an excellent surgeon.  ( just to allay any fears you might have!) 
Your name is dog lover..  do you have dogs?  Would you like to meet for a coffee, tea?  I am off work for the next couple of days ( working the weekend) if you might like to chat..    :) 
DivineMissM
on 8/9/12 10:12 am - Canada
 I just realized you are still in Kamloops!!!!   but we can still talk!  
doglover33
on 8/9/12 10:47 am - Kamloops, Canada
Yes, still in Kamloops, but heading down to Victoria next weekend.  I would love to get together once we get settled.  Do you find it hard to keep your commitment up with all the stress in your life?  I go in spurts...  Today is a good day so far.
I am aiming for 10% of my body weight, but so far I am only at 6%.  Still pretty good, I guess, but I would like to lose 10 more pounds before I see him. 

Yes, we have dogs.  3 of them!  So it wasn't easy to find a place to rent in the Victoria area that takes dogs.  But we found a place in Sooke.  we are hoping to buy some day, but it will be a ways off.

I am keeping a journal, but that too has been in spurts.  I have been getting back on track.  I need to focus on my health... 

By the way, my name is Beth.  Thank you for responding to my post!!
DivineMissM
on 8/9/12 11:02 am - Canada
 Hi Beth.. absolutely we can be support for each other.  I am almost at 10% but it has been tough. I started at 310 and am now 283.  ( the fact I told you my weight is amazing to me!!!)  Perhaps I am channelling the anger I am feeling into my efforts! hahah..  It is probably easier for me as I am on my own, or is your husband/partner helpful? 
My cell is 250-216-4085 and you can call me anytime.  
As far as my commitment.. you know, I know I need to do better in the exercise department, but that is hard!!  I work full time and by the time I come home, all I want to do is sit on the couch!  I get up at 0500.  I could try getting up earlier, but well, you know how that is.!!   I even have  a gym and a swimming pool ( not that I am willing to get into a suit for all the tea in China!!)  right in my own building!!  Still it is hard

This is a typical day for me: 
Breakfast:  Greek Yogurt and berries
Coffee Break: Cup of tea with milk and splenda
Lunch:  2 hard boiled eggs with 2 tbsp calorie wise miracle whip
             2-3 baby cucumbers...  I kind of use the egg mix as a dip!
             banana or other fruit
Dinner:   chicken/ salad or veg.  

I think that keeping track makes it easier for me.  I have learned with all the diet plans out there that to be successful, you MUST keep a diary.  It keeps you honest.. or more honest! hahaha!! 

OK!  Hang in there... gotta run I am getting stuff done here today...    talk to you soon, Beth!   marcy

doglover33
on 8/9/12 11:50 am - Kamloops, Canada

WoW!  That is awesome!!!  That isn't much food at all....  I eat way more than that, which is probably why I am not losing weight.  I generally eat something like this:

Breakfast:  peanut butter and toast, or protein bar
Snack:  Fruit and protein

Lunch:  Lean cuisine or leftovers from night before

Snack: protein bar or yogurt

Dinner:  Meat, starch and vegetable

Dinner and post dinner is where I fall down.  I usually eat too much and end up snacking through the night. 

My husband doesn't get it and it makes it difficult.  Last night he wanted to get KFC and I had to be assertive and set my foot down.  I love fast food and it is my weakness....

It is definitely easier to share online!!! haha... I started at 293 and I weigh 273 now.  You are doing great!!!!!!

Chat soon!  Beth

Most Active