Disgusting topic but need an answer please..

Heather Q.
on 6/12/12 9:02 am - Vancouver, Canada
VSG on 04/10/12
Hello all,

This question is aimed at the vets who have had the VSG, but I'll gladly take any ones input. 

It's about dumping. Long and short, I have tried to be very regimented about what I eat. I have only been sleeved for 2 months and while I'm not perfect, I try to stick as close to diet as possible.
However, last night my family and myself were treated to dinner by some friends, and they arranged for us to eat at a Chinese restaurant.  Immediately red flags started going up as I'm aware Chinese food can be carb and fat laden fare. Since we were be treated, I felt it wasn't my place to question the restaurant, so I decided to go along and try to make the healthiest choices I could, and opt to eat an extra small amount. Needless to say, a lot of unhealthy options were ordered so I gravitated to the proteins ( seafood, chicken ) and mixed veggies. I did a very small amount of chow mein (less than a 1/4 cup) and boy, do I regret that!
It all tasted lovely till it hit my stomach. Within 10 mins I got a little nauseous, and couldn't stop salivating. Thought, " Omg..what have I done?" I tried not to show my discomfort and sipped a little Chinese tea. The nausea gradually subsided but soon after my guts let me know they were not amused. We got home just in time and I spent 15 mins in the bathroom. Dinner ran through me like a freight train...ugh. My poor tummy still feels a bit off, though I have eaten a little today.

So, my question. Is this considered dumping? From what I've read, I had some of the symptoms, but not as bad as some described. All I know is I won't repeat that again, and if I'm dumb enough to repeat it, it won't be anytime soon! Thank you for any info!

Heather
Lynnww666
on 6/12/12 2:45 pm - Canada
 Hi,
I think the nausea/salivating is what people refer to as the 'foamies' as in sort of foaming at the mouth. I've had it a couple of time, generally when I eat too fast or if I feel full but can't resist that last couple of bites.... arrrgghghhh... nasty feeling. It hasn't happened lots to me, but a couple of times I've wound up just spitting and spitting into the sin****il all the massive amount of spit has gone.
I've never had the food go right through though and I think that might be dumping. I'm sure someone has posted on this site with more details so search 'dumping' and I'll bet you have your answers. 
Best of luck for the future!
Lynn
PS: we had the same doctor
Quien quiera pescado que se moje el culo
Dec. 2010 weight 355, surgery weight 292 Current weight 199

Heather Q.
on 6/13/12 2:17 am - Vancouver, Canada
VSG on 04/10/12
Hello Lynn,

Thanks for replying. I had read a number of articles here in regards to "dumping" and from what I gather VSG's react differently than other WLS procedures. I just wanted to see if any of the vets here could relate and give me a definitive answer.  I figured I had the "foamies", had them a couple of times before too, and the usual culprit was eating too fast/not chewing. I think the "dumping" may have been that I had eaten too much fat, as my body has been weaned off it for a few months now. Still really nasty and I'm in no rush to experience either again anytime soon! Lessons learned, I hope.

Take care and I wish you all the best too!

Heather
Lena S.
on 6/28/12 6:30 am - abbotsford bc, Canada
Hi Heather
Yep that was dumping.  More than likely from the fat content...I am RNY but more and more of my support group friends are having VSG so I have heard about this from them. 
Lena
Abbotsford BC

Most Active