Stabbing Pain in my left side

Kever4Life
on 5/3/12 7:13 am - Canada
RNY on 03/26/12
Hello,

I am now just about 6 weeks out and I am experiencing terrible pain in my left side. It all started when I sneezed one day....it just started off so painful. It was getting better until about a week later when yup you guessed it I sneezed again. Now the pain is so intense sometimes that I can't bend, take really deep breaths, sleep on my side (that is my favorite) or even sit comfortably for a long period of time. It hurts when I walk so I have to push in the area so the pain isn't as bad. It makes me feel nauseous and I really don't have much of an appetite (I think I am surviving on Arrowroot cookies and Asian pears right now). I read a few things that said it was the slowest part to heal because that is where the camera went in and the area is more sensitive but I have also read that someone had a twisted bowel.

If any of you have ever experienced this I would really appreciate a little advice. I really want to get back to exercising but I can't do anything with this pain.

If I need to I will call Dr. Nguyen's office but I am hoping that it is something normal!

Thanks I really appreciate it!

Karen 

(deactivated member)
on 5/3/12 7:24 am - Stone Mountain, GA
RNY on 04/10/12
 If I were you, just to be on the safe side I would call your surgeons office and let them know exactly whats going on, even if it's after hours there is some one on call. So please don't take any changes especially since it's been going on for some time now. 

Hope you feel better and MAKE THE CALL :)
karen26
on 5/4/12 7:48 am - Canada
Karen  I also agree it is better to be safe than sorry. I had a doctor tell me one time they would rather see me and tell me it was nothing than see me in emergency. Please take care.   Karen
Kever4Life
on 5/4/12 8:03 am - Canada
RNY on 03/26/12
Thanks for the advice! I called Dr.Nguyen's office yesterday and actually spoke directly to him. He squeezed me in for an appointment on Tuesday, he is so busy he has surgery and meetings and I am thankful I was able to get in so quickly. 

He thinks it may be a hernia but without seeing me he can't tell for sure, I may have to have a CT scan. I hope it is just mending pains and it just goes away....I really do not want to go under the knife again!

I also would rather be safe than sorry and they told me to call them with any issues so I took them up on it!

Thanks again, I will update after Tuesday as I am sure other people have or are experiencing the same issues.

Cheers,

Karen

Karen 

bamf
on 5/4/12 8:58 am - Burnaby, BC, Canada
Hi:
I had the same thing and it was a hernia from one of the inside staples letting go.  It took only a few minutes to repair, and Dr. Sampath used the same ports, so no extra scars, but it did make for more hospital time.
Kever4Life
on 5/4/12 9:00 am - Canada
RNY on 03/26/12

Was the pain intermittent? Sometimes it feels fine and then other I feel nauseous and like someone is stabbing me. It started after I sneezed so maybe that is what it is....did you have to have a CT scan or was it x-rays?

I do not want more hospital time...yuck!

Karen

Karen 

bamf
on 5/5/12 12:36 am - Burnaby, BC, Canada
Hi Karen:
Yes, the pain would come & go, sometimes it would get so bad, I would be doubled over & unable to even move.  The nausea turned into vomiting because the intestine got sucked into the hernia which blocked anything from going.  I could not even drink water without it coming back up.  I had an x-ray and then a CT Scan.  This happened while I was still in hospital, but I had the same symptoms a month later & it turned out to be just a bowel infection, needing only antibiotics.
Hopefully that is all you have.

Barb

Kever4Life
on 5/9/12 5:16 am - Canada
RNY on 03/26/12
Hello!

I am pleased to report that Dr.N told me it was not a hernia!! I was told it was from the stitches pulling a bit and if I have a full bowel it presses up against it. He recommends to get more fluids (like I don't try too!!) and no more bending and straining!!

I really appreciate the response I received from everyone, it makes me know that I am not alone in this journey that I have other people that understand!

Cheers,

Karen

Karen 

Most Active