Wait times

mom2csp
on 5/2/12 8:50 am
Hi all.

I know this has been done before but not recently.  My husband has just been referred for gastric bypass surgery.  Our GP was unsure of wait lenghts. 

Can anyone share how long they waited from first being referred to having the actual surgery.
Is it shorter if its more extreme.

He weighs about 450 pounds and has diabetes and high blood pressure.  He has tried many times to lose weight  and has been successful but it never stayed off and always came back with a lot more. 

We are just wondering how long the whole process will take?
Nikkal
on 5/3/12 5:02 am
VSG on 07/18/13
 I was referred to Dr Sampath in late February of this year. I was told by their office (he shares with Dr Nguyen) that the wait list for the initial consult was about 10 months. From there it depends on you (or your husband in this case). Others here who are further along can tell you more about timelines.

what I've learned here and from their website is that you have to have a number of blood and diagnostic tests. You have to see the dietician and take an 8 week class. You have to consult with physical and occupational therapists. You have to start a 'traditional' weight loss effort and journal it all. You may have to consult with a psychiatrist. If you smoke, you have to quit and be 'clean' for some length of time. You have to read Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies.

you can do some of this before the consult - that's what I'm doing now. Both doctors will refuse to operate if you don't follow their rules, and no one gets a surgery date until the doc thinks you're ready for it.

I'm guessing that it could take anywhere from a few months to a over a year after the consult...

Kever4Life
on 5/3/12 7:18 am - Canada
RNY on 03/26/12
Hi,

Good for your husband for getting through the first step. I was at the surgeons office last week and the receptionist was answering phone inquiries and she said the wait times are 1 to 1.5 years to get a consult once they receive the referral. If your husband is in bad shape your GP may want to stress that on the referral.

My surgeon was Dr.Nguyen and he is fabulous. As Nikkal said there are a whole lot of steps to go through and from my initial appointment it took me 10 months to get the surgery. I am now 6 weeks out and have lost nearly 40 lbs but it is by no means easy.

I wish your husband all the best and good luck in his journey!

Karen 

karen26
on 5/4/12 8:03 am - Canada

Hi. I just saw Dr. Nguyen yesterday for my first consult. I really liked him very friendly, I felt like I was talking to my brother. He answered all my questions but now I have alot more, next visit.
I was refered late last spring. He told me to expect about 6 months for surgery faster if you follow every instruction to a tee. I don't have as much wait to lose, I am 252 but I too have high blood pressure and ostoarthitics.  Tell him to start now just by cutting out little things will help and to do some sort of exercise. I can only walk for 10 min. but it is a start.  Best wishes to both of you. Karen

Most Active