Post Surgery Recovery

Sharkeatyou
on 3/6/12 6:03 am
 Hi All,
I am considering the VSG, and was wondering what the recovery time is.  I have read everything from 2 days to 2 weeks.  Since many of you have had the surgery with Dr. S and Dr. N, and may have better insight.  I am a nursing student, and most of my schedule is very busy.  I am in classes a lot and in clinicals often.  My husband is concerned that I may get behind in school, and struggle in school.  
Being a large nursing student is horrible, and I feel it is better to get this done sooner rather than later.  I hope you have some insight for this newbie!

Cheers!
Niki
momjan
on 3/7/12 1:41 am - Canada
Like any surgery, it all depends on your pain tolerance, energy, general health.  Surgery can be up to 5 days in hospital if any complications, but that is very, very rare.

Athough I had rny, they are similar enough.  I did not take any pain meds once I left the hospital, even though I had a prescription for oxycontin handed to me.

A couple of weeks of been a bit lethargic and because my liver was perforated I was a little longer on being able to carry heavier things. 

That was it for me.

Good luck!
Chattycat50
on 3/7/12 2:47 am - Fanny Bay Vancouver Island BC, Canada
I was shock how easy it was for me , I was up walking in four hours , had a few pain meds in hospital and my dr said the move you move the easier it is , he was right. I don't mean racing, just slowly moving with out hurting your self , two weeks I was in the gym slowly agian
CathyB
http://cathy-todayinanutshell.blogspot.com/

sexy_me
on 3/7/12 3:20 pm
VSG on 02/06/12
For me the drugs used during my VSG surgery knocked my out for hours day of surgery and part of first day post op in ICU. I was very slow moving but up walking by time I was moved to a ward. I won't lie to you I was super exhausted and in good deal of pain but thankfully after the drain was removed it slowly improved. I only stayed in hospital two days and then released. I was still very exhausted at 6 days out, I realized it was the pain meds doing it all. I was stiff and sore but had no real constant pain so I stopped them. Since then I've been up and more mobile then ever before with plenty of energy to spare.        

Hope this helps you!

West Coast Bariatric Surgery Centre Program - VSG, February 6/12, Richmond, BC

lilymorg
on 3/29/12 8:46 am
I was in the hospital for 2 nights after VSG....
And then was pretty tender for about 2 weeks.  It took a few days to be able to lie down in my bed, I slept in a recliner chair. 

But looking back, its all such a short amount of time, and sooooo worth it!

Surferboysmom
on 7/15/12 4:14 pm - Chilliwack, Canada
 Lol... It sounds a lot like my two c-sections! 
Most Active