Protein shakes

shanti4758
on 2/25/12 8:05 am
Do any of you use protein shakes? If so what brands do you recommend and where do u buy them?

momjan
on 2/26/12 1:49 am - Canada
So many brands...so many places.  I personally buy from a body builder's shop as they have a huge variety  used for different things -  ie muscle mass, lean muscle, weight loss, etc.  Check out Popeye's website.

A lot of people buy from Costco and GNC, etc.  The thing to remember is you need whey isolate as we process it better.  Soy protein is also acceptable.  Other types aren't recommended for wlsers.   Just remember to find ones you will continue to enjoy look for low calories, low or no fat or sugar and high protein - 20-25 grams or more per serving.

If you web search you can find sites where you can buy sample packs of different brands.  That way you aren't stuck with a large container of something you find you don't like.

I keep several different flavours and brands in the house for variety.  Currently, I have Syntrax Nectar, Mango, Myofusion Banana (has a bit of dried egg in it and keeps me fuller longer), and a vegan Vanilla Chai made by Sequel or Vega.  That one is made with hemp protein, yellow pea protein and a few others, not whey.  I only drink that one occasionally as it's more expensive and not really sure how well I absorb it.  But I like the taste.....
bamf
on 2/26/12 5:59 am - Burnaby, BC, Canada
Costco sells Chocolate Premier Protein Shakes which are very good (30g of protein, 2 net carbs, 160 calories).  A case of 18 is $20 to $25.  I have also seen a good variety of protein products in Shoppers Drug Mart, London Drugs, Super Store, and Ave Maria, all in Prince George.  I most often order from bariatricchoice.com or amazon.com  from the US but shipping can be expensive if sent into Canada.  I just go across the border and pick-up my shipments from a US shipping address, but you would be too far away for that, but I do go to Prince George quite often so it could be possible for me to pick up for you and bring to PG whenever I am going there.
Barb

Kiskis
on 2/27/12 1:53 pm - Richmond, Canada
I am lucky that I can get my shakes in Blaine, WA cheaper & better selection.

I like the Costco Premier - The USA ones have the iso
As well as Muscle Milk & Lean Body

Atkins ones are good too.

Shopper Drugmart & GNC sell them all. Google and I am sure you can buy on-line too.

momjan
on 2/28/12 9:57 am, edited 2/28/12 9:58 am - Canada
Muscle Milk has twice the calories of other types of protein powders, so just be aware of that.....
For people not living near the border, check out www.popeyescanada.com for products that can be shipped from Canada.  Do you have a GNC there?  They should have a lot of protein powders, which are cheaper than the RTD (ready to drink) varieties.....

And yes, Costco has a lot as well.  Look at body builder type shops in PG for local supplies, London Drugs, Shoppers...a lot of big stores now carry some type of protein powder.....

The ones I buy from Popeye's usually only have 100 cal/serving, no fat, so sugar........  read you labels!

Margo N.
on 3/3/12 4:20 am
I've always been a Champion Nutrition Chocolate Protein Stack girl, but they just changed their formulation, decreasing the protein and increasing the carbs. I like the Allmax Isoflex for its stats, but the flavour isn't my favourite and it is expensive. I just found the Body Fortress "Super Advanced" whey protein powder at Walmart at a very good price (2 pounds / 24 dollars). It is even cheaper (2 bottles, 2 pounds each, $28 US) if you can pick up in the US and order it from Walmart.com.

Its a blend of whey protien isolate and concentrate, so very good quality protein for us, 30 grams of protein per scoop and very low carb. Had the chocolate in my coffee this morning and it was very tasty. Will try the vanilla next.
Margo - Burnaby, British Columbia HW 283 / SW 269 / GW 160 (I'm 5'8")
Check out my blog at http://www.vsggoodlife.com/

Most Active