surgery wait times

sillychocolatehippo
on 1/4/12 11:50 am
Hello I have a few questions about bariatric surgery in BC. Where do they do the surgeries? What criteria do pts need to meet..ex BMI range? What is the wait time? I'm curious about VSG and RNY. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
sookebunny
on 1/5/12 1:42 am - Canada
The wait time is about 5 years depending on what dr you see. 

Every dr uses there own bmi scale so you would need to ask the surgeon.   Dr Amson is the best dr for doing the surgery. 
Chattycat50
on 2/7/12 12:34 pm - Fanny Bay Vancouver Island BC, Canada
No Dr Malik is the Best!
CathyB
http://cathy-todayinanutshell.blogspot.com/

bamf
on 1/5/12 1:47 am - Burnaby, BC, Canada

Go to www.westcoastbariatricsurgery.com to answer all of your questions.  Dr. Sampath seems to be the busiest, with a wait list of about a year for first consult.  Dr. Nguyen is also very good and I believe he has a shorter wait list.  They both work together in Richmond.

sillychocolatehippo
on 1/5/12 12:06 pm
Do you know if the waiting list is shorter for VSG than RNY?
bamf
on 1/6/12 9:29 am - Burnaby, BC, Canada
The wait list for VSG or RNY in Richmond should be about the same.  About a year for first consult, then it depends on how well you follow the prescribed program this team of doctors has set up.  The "Winning at Losing" classes at the Garrat Wellness Centre in Richmond, can be taken before your first consult, which may speed up the process for you.  Start a journal to record all food eaten and all activity (exercise) ASAP, so you can show the doctors that you are ready for the surgery.  Also research weight loss surgery so that you are prepared for you first consult.  Everything you can do before the first appointment could put you into a better position for a surgery date. 
Momx4kids
on 1/5/12 8:58 am, edited 1/4/12 8:58 pm - Abbotsford, Canada

Going to the doctors in Richmond is your best bet, the wait is shorter and they have an excellent before and after care/support program. I had mine (RnY) on the Island and had to wait 3 years, and Tang and Amson have no after care/support program in place so you are pretty much on your own. Where are you in B.C., my suggestion is you attend a support group near you, I go to one in Langley and in Abbotsford, and I know there are ones in Chilliwack and Vancouver. There are alot of people who have had their surgeries at Westcoast with excellent results/experiences so far!
Rhonda

Allie A.
on 1/5/12 12:02 pm - Canada
prplady
on 1/5/12 1:50 pm - Canada
I was sleeved Nov. 7 2011 In Richmond Hospital..Dr.Sampath

covered by MSP

The Drs. on the Island have a much longer waitlist..

The Richmond Drs. are getting a much longer waitlist as well.

HW 270  SW 226 CW 175.8 GW 150

sillychocolatehippo
on 1/7/12 5:23 am
Thanks! How long did it take for your first appt from the time your referral letter was sent?
Most Active