Ten day post Op, proein samples and what do I do ?

momjan
on 1/22/12 6:34 am, edited 1/22/12 6:34 am - Canada
Although you get protein in food, you probably aren`t getting enough.  We only absorb a portion of the amount we consume.  Drinking protein shakes or powders ensures you are getting in enough, which is about 100 g per day (remember, we only absorb half of it).  After two years, I still drink one or two a day.  The higher protein will also keep you from craving carbs.

I still do not eat the `white stuff`- pasta, bread, rice, oatmeal, cream of wheat, etc. as they have high carbs and high, unprocessed (especially) carbs convert to sugar, you then crave more carbs to convert to more sugar and pretty soon....back to where you started.

You can substitute so many things in lieu - i.e. shredded zucchini for pasta, etc. that you really don`t need the carbs.  The only carbs you really needs are from mostly veggies and a bit of fruit - fruit having higher sugar and carbs.  Stick by your 5-5-5 rules and you should be OK for not dumping.

Unjury Chicken protein powder is apparently very good; I am still trying to source in locally.

Popeye`s - the bodybuilding shops is awesome for all varieties of protein powders.  Tell them what you are attempting to do..ie. lose weight, build muscle, etc and they will point you in the right direction.  They will give you taste samples of anything.  If you buy something and take it home and find you don`t like it, take it back and they give a credit for other things in the store. 

Thrifty Foods also has Gensoy unflavoured soy protein.  I use it to mix into some yoghurts and also when I make a `mug of muffin`.  The organic or health food stores should also carry whey isolate protein powders in bulk, also in containers.  And there is an organic Chai on at Thrifty`s, can`t remember the name that is fantastic mixed with mixture of water and milk, but no ice..it gets really weirdly thick.

From Popeye`s I usually by the fruity ones - fuzzy navel, etc and mix with water and ice for a nice refreshing drink.  I probably double the water in them - more like 20 oz. than what`s required.  Sometimes mix a splash of crystal lite in as well.

Most Active