im sleeved! :)

lilymorg
on 11/17/11 4:15 am

I was released from the hospital yesterday (Wednesday) morning.
Feels great to be home!

So here's my hospital story:

Surgery was scheduled for 2:15, I was to be there at 12:15.
I got registered, and checked in.  And all gowned up, including funky compression stockings that look like elf feet, and little booties & a hat.  Very charming attire.
They started an IV, and gave me some meds to remove all acid in my tummy, as well as something to relax me (ativan?) So I had about an hour before surgery where my family took turns come in to sit with me.  I was only allowed 1 person at a time. 
Oddly enough for a hospital they were running ahead of schedule!  so about 1:40 a nurse came in to tell me they were ready for me in the operating room.  Yikes!  So I had to walk to the operating room and get up on the table myself.  Felt really weird walking in there...

There was a ton of people in the operating room, maybe 12-15 people? 
I recognized the surgeon & the anesthesiologist. 
I layed down on the table, and the anesthesiolist said he was going to give me something to relax.
And then I was out!  I thought they would have done a count down thing...but I was out really quickly, and the next thing I new I was in the recovery room.

A nurse was sitting next to me telling me that I have to breath, and that she couldn't breath for me.
I didn't quite get what she was saying.  And then they put a big steamy mask on me (ventalin?) so help open my lungs to make it easier to breath.  I thought I was breathing fine, but apparently not. 
I looked at the clock and it was 6pm.  And I would fall asleep and the nurse would wake me up telling me to breath...she was getting quite stern, and I was getting annoyed that she kept waking me up.  My mouth was SUPER dry...and it took way too much energy to talk.  THe nurse would swab my mouth and it would feel better for a few minutes.  They ended up putting a cpap mask on me that forced air in.  It was annoying because it made my dry mouth feel even worse.  At 9pm I was moved from the recovery room to a room in ICU. 

In ICU they needed me to change to a different bed...and were talking about hooking me up to a lift thing and moving me to the new bed.  I said to the doctor - wouldn't it be easier if i just got up and moved over?  He said sure, try it.  LOL  I lifted my head and that was all I could do.  So I was already on this sling thing, which I am thinking they used a lift to get me onto a bed once all ready from the operating room.  They got me onto the new bed with the lift...that hurt because it squished me up quite tight.  Once I got settled, and asked for more mouth swabs, I was able to see my family.  They didn't stay too long...said they would be back the next day.

The first night was rough...I could not get comfortable.  I couldnt move much, and my mouth was so dry.  I had a wonderful nurse...she brought me a cup of ice chips which helped the dryness.  And gave me small sips of water.  And kept me drugged up on morphine & gravol.....as morphine seems to make me nauseaus.  She gave me some liquid tylenol too...which was very gross tasting.  They were also concerned because my sugar level spiked quite high...so I was put on an insulin drip.  And then all the morphine & gravol shots could not go in the iv, because it didnt mix with insulin.  So I have lots of bruises in my arms from the many shots...they tried to get a 2nd iv started, and after 8 tries they gave up.

The next morning, the surgeons resident came in, checked on me...and was concerned that I had a fever and a high heart rate, and wanted me to have a leak test.  Cut me off all fluids...no more ice...which was devestating cuz my mouth & throat were still so dry.  They took out the catheter with a threaten that if I dont pee on my own in a few hours they would put it back in.  And I had to wait 6 hours for a leak test. (I thought leaks were more serious then that?!) 

The surgeon came in, and said he really didn't think I had a leak.  He said my heart rate would be way worse, and I would be in a whole lot more pain.  He was kinda humerous when he came in.  He said - gee you look like you got hit by a train!  then the nurse said - ya, and you were driving that train!  LOL this made me laugh, which hurt.  He said he still wanted me to do the leak test since it was ordered.

My hubby & mom & a friend came to visit me all at different times.  Was nice to have company.

Finally it was time to go for the leak test...i was wheeled down to xray...had to drink the most disgusting drink ever...and keep sipping it while they xrayed my stomach and we got to watch the drink travel down...and it was fine.  There was no leak.  So I was allowed to drink again!  Thank goodness because the taste from the leak test drink was horrible.

Dinner was brought to me...I was prepared by my dietitan to watch out for the food they give you in the hospital as it is not right for bariatric patients.  I got jello (not sugar free), broth, apple juice (not diluted), and beef broth.  I diluted some apple juice myself and had a few sips...and a few spoonfulls of broth and called it good.

The second night was so much better!  The nurse gave me a sleeping pill, which let me sleep 4 hours straight, then wokeup to use the washroom, which was a long way to hobble from my room.  The nurse did offer to bring in a potty, but I figured I should be up and walking anyhow.  Then I got some more pain meds and slept for another 4 hours straight.

The next morning, the surgeons resident came back again, said everything looks great and I could go home! yay!!! 

So the drain had to be removed, which was very uncomfortable.  Made me feel nauseaus.  Got some more morphine & gravol, and had a nap while I waited for my hubby to get there to take me home. 

We left the hospital at 11am.  The drive home was a little rough...all the bumps & turns hurt.
But as soon as I was home and sat in a comfy chair, I felt AWESOME. 

Every day seems a little bit better then the day before.  I still have some pain that travels from my tummy to chest, which the nurses said is gas pain, and the best thing is to walk walk walk.  So I have been working on walking, and resting.

Im excited to be in the next phase of this journey.
Still trying to figure out how much to eat and how often.  Scared to over-do it...so just doing little bits at a time.

Will update as I go along. :)

chale
on 11/17/11 5:09 am - Canada
Hey!  Welcome to the "other side"!  For some reason they never gave me any pain meds other than that horrifying liquid tylenol, which made me throw up, so I refused it after the first day.  What ward were you on?

Keep up the good work and let us know how you are doing!!

Cynthia
lilymorg
on 11/17/11 5:14 am
They gave me lots of morphine. I was in the icu on the 2nd floor.
jaynak
on 11/17/11 5:29 am - Canada
Glad to hear that you're home and doing well!!!!  Welcome to the looser's bench!!!!  I had the morphine as well but I had a wonderful nurse that put an IV type thing in my arm so I didn't have to get poked everytime I needed it.  That liquid tylenol is disgusting!!!  No wonder mt kids fight every time they have to have it!!!!

prplady
on 11/17/11 6:12 am - Canada
Sleeve Sister! Yippee welcome to the loser's bench!!
I do not know how you knew the time!!
I have no memory of time and only partial memories of the trip outta the recovery and no recollection of arriving up in ICU...I do remember getting the painful blood thinner shot too many times and the great nurse that gave me a sponge bath..glad she did it instead of my Male nurse.
Glad you are home and on the mend!

I think we all agree liquid tylenol is CRAP!

HW 270  SW 226 CW 175.8 GW 150

Momx4kids
on 11/17/11 5:51 am - Abbotsford, Canada
Wow what an ordeal, glad to hear you are doing well, can't wait to hear/see you at the next meeting! I found that too, everyday seemed to be better than the last day, so I'm hoping for a fast recovery for you. I always ate/drank every four hours and that was a protein drink(because I couldn't drink too much, that was the highest protein in a small amount I could do) in the begining, and water constantly in between. Protein will help you heal faster, and make sure you don't get dehydrated. Best of luck!!!
Rhonda

lilymorg
on 11/17/11 10:57 am
I only had 1 blood thinner shot, and it was in my arm. Didn't hurt any more then the morphine or gravol shots they were giving me.

I got a sponge bath too by a super nice nurse named Shelly. She helped me get into my own pajamas too...felt so much better.

I only remember the time because I was worried about my mom having to wait to see me and make sure I was okay. But there was a mixup and they were waiting by the ICU where they were told I would be transferred, not in the recovery area waiting room. So when they were allowed in, they could not be found. So I was worried that she was worrying about me. They could have seen me 2 hours earlier then they did.
readyornot
on 11/17/11 10:59 am

So nice to hear from you!!!! Glad to hear your journey so far has been not tooooo bad.  Keep us all posted. 

Linda R.
on 11/18/11 2:05 pm - Prince George, Canada
VSG on 02/20/12
glad to hear you are doing well. I cann't wait to get sleeved in January. I wonder how they work the release date if you live out of town?? any one know?

Linda
jaynak
on 11/19/11 11:05 am - Canada
Hi Linda, I live and Kamloops and when I had my surgery I was told to expect to be in hospital until Thurs-Friday.  Dr. Sampath did tell me that if possible he would prefer that I spent a few extra days down at the coast just in case something was to happen, I was able to stay at my Dad's in Surrey and then he drove me home.  I got out of hospital on Thursday and got back to my house in Kamloops on Saturday.

Jayna

Most Active